Just happened in the last half hour.  I can't call out.  It says "conditional call forwarding active".  I don't know if this is a new message, or if it is always there.

Is C&W having problems?

Edited by JudyS

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

If you're out of minutes, you can't call out. But people can still call you. (It's on their dime.)

My phone isn't pre-paid.  I don't run out of minutes.  I did solve the problem after an online chat with C&W.  He said to turn off the phone and turn it back on.  That solved the problem, as it does with most computer problems.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

Yes.  My Ngobe friends call me, hang up and anticipate I'll call them back.  They are always out of minutes...or almost always

On at least a dozen occasions since we have been here, repairmen have shown up at the house on unexpected days or times.  They will use the gas to drive out here not knowing if I am at home or not, but they will not use their minutes to call first.  Los minutos son preciosos.

Now I anticipate a hundred replies telling me that I don't understand the culture.  OK, I plead guilty.

• Administrators
48 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

.....We need a Panamanian Culture topic because there are many thing we all may not be aware of........

Alison, CL is ahead of the curve here. A forum dedicated to culture already exists. See: http://www.chiriqui.life/forum/19-culture-history-traditions/

P.S., please pardon my obvious plug for CL here. :)

1 hour ago, Penny said:

The culture is the "Panamanian hang-up call." Tell your workers to call you and hang up. You call them back.

This bit of "culture" far predates retiree arrivals.  It started as soon as cellphones arrived in Panama.  Folks with landline service didn't pay for local calling so folks with cellphones would call family and friends and hang up. The folks with landlines would call back so the cellphone users were not charged. This was especially popular with kids given cellphones by their parents to keep track of them. The parents or friends would say, "dame una perdida", one ring, two rings, etc.

As time progressed, anyone with paid cellphone charges called and hung up.  If the person called wanted to spend money talking to the caller, he made the call. If not, he didn't.

jim

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

Interesting Penny......We need a Panamanian Culture topic because there are many thing we all may not be aware of........

Alison

On July 4th the speaker on Tuesday at the BCP will be Tom McCormick who gives a very interesting and funny talk on Panamanian culture. At least the backwoods or interior kind of culture. Here's the write-up:

Tuesday, July 4 – Tom McCormack will tell us all about Panamanian legends, wives tales, myths, and superstitions. This is a very entertaining talk and will teach us all something about this place we call home.

• Upvote 1