Delays in Customs Procedures, Followed by Prohibited Importation of Cosmetics, Toiletries, and Medicines

Message added by Moderator_02

This topic about the importation of prescriptions, cosmetics, and toiletries, etc., could easily fit in either of two different forums: (a) the Health and Healthcare forum, or (b) this forum about mail forwarding services. It was a flip of the coin that was the deciding factor.

If any CL member feel strongly about relocating this topic to the Health and Healthcare forum, please send a PM (private message) to @Admin_01 with your feedback.

In the last year I personally know of 8 people moving to Spain and a multitude more moving back to wherever they came from.  The posting here and in ning outlining the "rumor" that Panama is going back to the 3 day border hop gave the reason that there is some alarm at the number of expats leaving the country.  

14 hours ago, MarieElaine said:

In the last year I personally know of 8 people moving to Spain and a multitude more moving back to wherever they came from.  The posting here and in ning outlining the "rumor" that Panama is going back to the 3 day border hop gave the reason that there is some alarm at the number of expats leaving the country.  

IMO "rumor" such as the one listed here causes more confusion than solving a problem. I appreciate how postings on this web-site (Bud, Keith, Newslady especially) list the source for what is re-published here.

• Upvote 1

Bonnie,

Thanks for taking the responsibility of being our US Warden. 

Returning to the original thread, it is not clear to me if the drugs and supplements are being delayed at customs or denied entry entirely. To me, it is ridiculous that Panama’ is holding up drugs that are essential to people’s health and well being.

Whomever is drafting these regulations is out of touch with the way prescriptions are done in countries with more advanced systems.  I have not seen a paper prescription in the US for years.  My doctor simply enters into the computer system if he/she is renewing or creating a new script.  The computer sends it to my on-line pharmacy (CVS) electronically and a few days later, the drugs are mailed to me.  No paper is involved.  So it is impossible for me to give Panama’ a copy of something that does not exist.

I take about 8 vitamins and supplements.  No US doctor in his/her right mind would give me a document saying that they are a medical necessity.  When I update my doctors on what I am taking, the best that I get is a verbal statement something like, yes that helps some people or yes, it can’t hurt.  In the sue crazy US, no doctor is going to provide such a document.

On 6/24/2017 at 2:20 PM, Alan Nilsen said:

Bonnie,

Thanks for taking the responsibility of being our US Warden. 

Returning to the original thread, it is not clear to me if the drugs and supplements are being delayed at customs or denied entry entirely. To me, it is ridiculous that Panama’ is holding up drugs that are essential to people’s health and well being.

Whomever is drafting these regulations is out of touch with the way prescriptions are done in countries with more advanced systems.  I have not seen a paper prescription in the US for years.  My doctor simply enters into the computer system if he/she is renewing or creating a new script.  The computer sends it to my on-line pharmacy (CVS) electronically and a few days later, the drugs are mailed to me.  No paper is involved.  So it is impossible for me to give Panama’ a copy of something that does not exist.

I take about 8 vitamins and supplements.  No US doctor in his/her right mind would give me a document saying that they are a medical necessity.  When I update my doctors on what I am taking, the best that I get is a verbal statement something like, yes that helps some people or yes, it can’t hurt.  In the sue crazy US, no doctor is going to provide such a document.

Thanks, Alan. I'll pass this info on to the Embassy in case they don't know. I'm hoping we will get the official word soon on what is required. The prescription requirement is just word of mouth at this point. But the delays are fact.

• Upvote 1

I don't want to wish myself bad luck but I usually order my multivitamin supplements in 6 month batches for Bill and I.  I get a better price that way.  No doubt when customs sees a box full of the same multivit bottle they will think I'm a vitamin pusher.  It would seem if needed the recipient here could get a written prescription from a doc here to have on file along with a affidavit statement made by the client ( with Cedula # etc etc) that these items are for personal use and have that on file electronically at MBE .  A bit of an ordeal yes but it would ease the stickiness of going through the flaming hoops over and over for both MBE, the client...and as well customs that should have better things to do than to interdict vitamins and prescription medication for retirees.

Edited by Brundageba
  • Upvote 1

Pantah

I am finding that I have had less problems with items from known common providers like AMAZON and SWANSONS vitamins.   I received a lipstick (eventually ) from a provider called PHARM PACKS and that one tube of lipstick stayed in scrutiny for over a month.  Pantah's EDTA may that white powder in a bottle that keeps them puzzling for eternity in customs.  Who knows.  I did look up EDTA on the Swanson's Health Products site and found it there.  Just an idea is to order one bottle with other innocuous products and see if it arrives.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brundageba said:

Pantah

I am finding that I have had less problems with items from known common providers like AMAZON and SWANSONS vitamins.   I received a lipstick (eventually ) from a provider called PHARM PACKS and that one tube of lipstick stayed in scrutiny for over a month.  Pantah's EDTA may that white powder in a bottle that keeps them puzzling for eternity in customs.  Who knows.  I did look up on the Swanson's Health Products site and found it there.  Just an idea is to order one bottle with other innocuous products and see if it arrives.

Good pointer for others. Amazon order, not powder.

On 6/22/2017 at 9:07 AM, Bonnie said:

In my role as U.S. Warden, I met with Velkys Munoz of Mailboxes, Etc. at her request on Tuesday. She sought my help in relaying to the expat community that customs is now requiring for certain things, including medications, very burdensome paperwork which includes a prescription from the doctor in the originating country, a doctor in Panama, and a signed statement by the recipient that the products are for personal use. Supplements require the signed statement of the recipient, too, as do other items like creams, makeup, etc. The delay time for receiving such items in Boquete therefore is approximately one month after the required paperwork is submitted.

I contacted the U.S. Embassy to see if they could obtain a more official account of exactly what is required. The Embassy agreed to contact the Panamanian authorities and, once they have this information, will issue a Message to U.S. Citizens which I will post here. In the meantime, those of you who depend on imported medications need to start well ahead of time on your order if you cannot find the drug(s) in Panama.

I followed up on my initial e-mail to the U.S. Embassy asking for clarification. This is the response I received:

"Hi Bonnie- We don’t have anything yet.  If you receive questions, please provide the people our email address (panama-acs@state.gov) and we will let them know we are looking into it.  That will also help us better understand the specific issues each person is facing."

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I received the following today from Mailboxes, etc.:

To all our valued Customers - URGENT PLEASE READ

Today we received a notification from the MINSA (Panamanian Health Bureau) stating that the import of cosmetics for personal use is prohibited.  That applies to makeup, shampoo, body lotion, perfume, etc.

If you have any questions please contact us.

The MBE Corporate is seeing the possible options to solve this situation. In the meantime, we would be grateful if you did not bring this type of merchandise to prevent it being seized by Customs.

We appreciate your understanding and hope to have positive news soon.

image001.jpg

VELKYS MUNOZ
MAIL BOXES ETC. – BOQUETE
TEL   011 (507) 720-2684

Edited by Moderator_02
cleaned up formatting, removed personal data, and added missing document

Yup.   And I just ordered our 6 months supply of vitamins  and supplements we take for both of us just last week..  They were not cheap...couple hundred dollars all together.    Now I wonder if its confiscated where does it go..the trash?   AND if I do not receive it do i still pay weight at MBE....it's always a big bill  Damn..now here's a thing that makes me unhappy with Panama.  There are very few and this is one.

I'll ask Velkys.   Boy I'm bummed...what a pain.  I'd hate to lose the product AND the money I paid for it !

BTW when you read the Spanish version of the law, it's more than just makeup creams and perfume it seems to me.

Alison

Edited by Brundageba

20 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

BTW when you read the Spanish version of the law, it's more than just makeup creams and perfume it seems to me.

Yes, it is. Articulo 44 deals with cosmetics. Articulo 40 deals with medications. Both the title of the communique and the MBE email are misleading.

Articulo 44 is framed in terms of ensuring sanitation, but I would bet it had its genesis in squawking from businesses that sell these products. First Panama protects its workforce by passing immigration laws that negatively impact expats. Now Panama is adopting regulations to protect business interests, and these regulations also negatively impact expats. I question the wisdom of these moves. What next? As media types are saying about the Trump administration, "drip, drip, drip."

We both love living here but one unfortunate thing is the products you can not find here. For us it's top quality vitamin supplements.  For me personally it's beauty products as well. .  Listen...we're old farts...getting diseased and wrinkled.  Rep of Panama needs to give us a break on this.  Maybe we need to protest..I mean get out there and block the highway.  Eh...forget it...we'd probably get deported.

ALISON

Edited by Brundageba

I can endure the wait an as well the paper work.  I can collect those docs  when I make the order and have it ready.   ( It is certainly a paperwork and processing nightmare for MBE....)   That said, we pay a sizeable fee per month for MBE service.    I would like certain clarification on this issue.  To exclude the import of vitamins for personal use seems a bit extreme to me and i do not see rationale.

Alison

It is not MBE. It is the government. You may recall that I wrote the U.S. Embassy about this upon request of MBE. Velkys has been very concerned. I asked the embassy to seek clarification back in June but I've received no response. It appears that MBE had more success than the embassy did. The embassy did tell me to have people contact them directly if they encounter a problem. I encourage you to do this. The more citizens they hear from, the more likely they may be to intervene. The email is panama-acs@state.gov.

Below is a copy of my exchanges (and non-exchanges) with the embassy on this issue. Read from the bottom up. (The recipient changed from Ms. Espinal to Mr. Hayes after the former went on maternity leave.)

Good afternoon, Mr. Hayes:

A month ago I corresponded with Stephanie about the shipping of medications and supplements. See below. She agreed that the subject might warrant a message from the Embassy and said she would get in touch with MINSA for possible clarification. I heard nothing from her before she went on maternity leave.

Do you know the status of this, please?

Bonnie Williams
Boquete Warden

To: "landis.Boquete.Warden" <landis.boquete.warden@comcast.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2017 8:38:27 AM
Subject: RE: Shipping of medications and supplements

Thanks Bonnie- We did receive a number of messages a few weeks ago from a US citizen who described the same issues having his medication delivered to Panama. His concern was more about the privacy issue since he didn’t feel it was right for Panama to require that much information about his health.  

I agree that based on below, this could warrant a message from the Embassy that summarizes the process required for people to have their medications shipped. We will get in touch with the Ministry of Health (MINSA) who overseas this issue to see if we can get a message prepared detailing the steps necessary to bring in meds.

I will keep you updated and thanks again for bringing this to our attention. 

Stephanie

This email is UNCLASSIFIED.

From: landis.Boquete.Warden [mailto:landis.boquete.warden@comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2017 7:34 PM
To: Espinal, Stephanie T
Subject: Shipping of medications and supplements

Hi, Stephanie:

Today I received a call from Velkys Munoz, the owner/manager of Mailbox Etc. here in Boquete. She said she needed to talk to me in my role as warden and asked if I could stop by MB at my convenience. I was downtown and had an hour to kill before a dental appointment, so I went to see her.

Velkys is very concerned about the government's suddenly delaying and demanding tons of paperwork for the importation of medication and supplements, paperwork that includes a prescription from the out-of-country doctor as well as a Panamanian doctor and a statement from the recipient that the merchandise is for personal use.  It's a lot more work for her and her customers (she said she has had to hire an additional person just to take care of this on a daily basis), and many of her customers don't understand why this is being required and blame her. Because she doesn't understand either, she says it's difficult to explain. Most importantly, there are expats who get medicine from the States that is much less expensive there as well as medicines that unavailable here, and some of this medicine is to treat serious, life-threatening conditions. It is taking a month or more to get medicine and supplements released from the aduanas, she related, and she is afraid that certain of her customers may fall ill or die without the medicines delivered to them through MB, Etc.

She asked if I could be of help in alerting expats to the problem and perhaps advising them to plan far ahead in their ordering of medications. I have no problem doing that, but I'm reluctant to do so without hearing exactly what the requirements are "from the horse's mouth." Would it be possible for the Embassy to contact the government to get a statement about exactly what goods are subject to this increased scrutiny and exactly what is required to get them released? It also would be nice to know why small orders are being subjected to this, but that may be asking too much. As this is affecting expats all over Panama, according to Velkys' conversations with other MB offices, the issue might even merit an Embassy message.

Thank you,

Bonnie

I just sent the following email to Mr. Hayes in ACS at the embassy:

"I am writing to you for the third time relative to the new Panama regulations on the importation of drugs and cosmetics.

"Today, customers of Mailboxes, etc. received the following email from Ms. Velkys Munoz, manager of the Boquete office:

[body of email from Velkys at MBE]

"I published this on a local Internet forum in the hopes that it would reach more people, and I will put it on News Boquete, an email list with a wide audience, tonight. I have had several people respond to this and have advised them to contact the embassy directly.

"I am aware of the embassy's new directive to wardens to send citizen inquiries directly to the embassy. I suggest, however, that this is not a personal issue but a general one, and I'm embarrassed to be obliged to rely on an email from MBE to communicate this new directive to U.S. expats here in Boquete. I am further embarrassed that I can give the citizens here no guidance whatsoever and no assurances that their government is looking into this on their behalf. As many, many expats depend on the mail to obtain medications and cosmetics that are unavailable here (at least in Chiriqui), the very least the embassy can do is issue a message, with the communique from SALUD translated into English. It is my hope that the embassy would further protest this regulation on behalf of its citizens, recognizing that many expats depend on medicine from outside the country to keep them alive. Most of these people are elderly and therefore are the least able to undergo cumbersome paperwork regularly in order to receive these medications. This is an issue of safety, and my understanding is that the embassy's primary mission is the safety of U.S. citizens in Panama."

I will pass on whatever response I receive.

• Admin_01 changed the title to Delays in Customs, Followed by Prohibited Importation of Cosmetics and Medicines

.  I doubt it's of the same quality.  Some of the supplements I order I've never seen here.   Do you know of a place that has a wide variety?  GNC does not.  If there's a place I'd love to shop here rather than pay for shipment

Edited by Brundageba

The problem, Keith, is that the supplements available here are not of the quality most people want.  For some common stuff the local offerings might be OK, but there are quite a lot that are just not available.  I went to GNC looking for one particular supplement and was told by the very young lady running the store that they didnt have it, "but look, here is something we sell that is just as good."  Nah, I trust my own research better.