Mark and Gary, the owners of Señor Gyros, which is located on Calle 1A Sur next to CHOX in Bajo Boquete, announced that the business changed hands as of last Friday.  It's my understanding that the new owner is Nadine Wilson, previously of Seasons at Lucero.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

The Wilson family from South Africa (including Nadine, a former chef at Colibri and Seasons, and her brother who is also a chef).  I've also heard they will be putting in a meat cold locker for aging beef.  

Edited by Pederhaney

True. On just about any Friday or Saturday night, you see very few restaurants that have a waiting list to get in, are totally full for more than 2 hours, or turning folks away.

If you don't have at least 2 full seatings for dinner you are not going to make it.  Meat locker for ageing beef! Nice to have deep pockets.

• 2 months later...

Marcelyn and I had a [very late] lunch today at Señor Gyros (SG). It has been a long time since last patronizing SG, and having heard about the change in management we were curious. We had not been avoiding or boycotting SG, but simply had not gotten around to stopping by. (We do not know what happened to Mark Perren-Jones, but wish him well, wherever he is.)

It was a wonderful dining experience today. Things have changed a bit with the new owners, however the basic menu is essentially the same. A really pleasant surprise was that Nelson now works at SG. The "olde timers" in this area will recall Nelson as being one of the really good waiters in our area, having worked at numerous restaurants through the years. Nelson is not a waiter at SG, but appeared to be more like el gerente. Nelson told us that the new owners are from South Africa, but we did not meet them, nor do we know their names.

Re the menu selection, be advised that you should not eat at SG unless you have been stranded on an island for a long period of time without benefit of food. :) The servings were huge. The prices were very good, especially given the good quality and fresh ingredients, the portion sizes, and the "delectability" factor. Marcelyn and I had a pollo/puerco gyro, which was very tasty. The ingredients were high quality, fresh, and full of flavors, and well prepared. Another surprise for us was the onion rings, which we are addicted to; SG used large, sweet onions for the onion rings, and it appeared to be a beer batter coating that the onions were prepared with. The onion rings could be a meal by themselves.

All in all, this was a pleasant and informal dining experience. We both said in unison as we said our hasta luegos to Nelson that we definitely will be coming back.

Here is a picture of their menu (chalkboard style as was used in the original SG):

Gyros-Menu.thumb.jpg.0e625f66d4a960033219824a8807cbc0.jpg

We have been going to Senor Gyros since they first opened when Gary and Mark started the business. We have always had great service and food. Today as we usually do we went there after our hike with our dogs to have lunch. One person in our party arrived ahead of us with her dog and was informed " we no longer allow dogs! She said we are 6 people and have been coming here on a regular basis with our dogs. They said sorry, dogs are not allowed any longer. The place was completely empty.

Very disappointing as our dogs are all well behaved and chilled out after hiking 4-6 miles. It is very sad that only a few places here in Boquete allow dogs that we know of:

Big Daddy's, Sandwich Shop, ( on the outside) and Black and White on their back terrace.

If anyone knows of other dog-friendly restaurants please let us know. It would be a good category to add to Pet Resources.

Thank you, and Senor Gyros...good luck, you lost 6 customers today.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm surprised that someone would refuse to visit a restaurant because they have a no pet policy. That really must restrict your choices for eating out! I'm not sure if you're angry because they changed the policy or if you just don't ever eat out without your dogs, but I do think the new owner has the right to change to a policy, which most restaurants have, without being boycotted.

That being said, I used to love the felafel sandwich at Senior Gyro, but when I went a few weeks ago, it was awful. It was filled with giant chunks of tomato, the bread was soaked and turned to mush and the felafel disintegrated. I'm not sure what the difference was to make it so bad, perhaps the amount of tomato, which far outweighed the felafel. I'll give it another try some time to be sure it wasn't an anomaly.

The point was they had been hiking with their dogs and wanted to stop for a bite to eat, something they had always been able to do.  They did not say they always take their dog when they go out to eat.

Perhaps the health dept prohibits dogs, and being new owners they want to follow the rules.

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's about that particular circumstance or they wouldn't have said they'll never return. It sounds as if they're angry about the new policy. It's their choice to make, as Keith said, but I wonder if they also stay away from other restaurants that don't allow dogs. My guess is that the Sailors do frequent those restaurants, so I don't get why they would choose to stay away from SG's when doggie is at home.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Jim and Judi said:

I'm surprised that someone would refuse to visit a restaurant because they have a no pet policy. That really must restrict your choices for eating out! I'm not sure if you're angry because they changed the policy or if you just don't ever eat out without your dogs, but I do think the new owner has the right to change to a policy, which most restaurants have, without being boycotted.

14 hours ago, Jim and Judi said:

I don't think it's about that particular circumstance or they wouldn't have said they'll never return.

We never stated that we would not visit any restaurants because they have a no pet policy. Nor did we state we are boycotting SH or that we will never return.

17 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

Thank you, and Senor Gyros...good luck, you lost 6 customers today.

This is all we simply stated.  They lost 6 customers yesterday. Not forever. We do not get angry over a policy that is recently implemented. We were disappointed. Your comments are taking out of context.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, TwoSailors said:

We never stated that we would not visit any restaurants because they have a no pet policy. Nor did we state we are boycotting SH or that we will never return.

This is all we simply stated.  They lost 6 customers yesterday. Not forever. We do not get angry over a policy that is recently implemented. We were disappointed. Your comments are taking out of context.

Ah, my mistake. I took "lost 6 customers" as meaning you wouldn't return. 

• Thanks 1