Yup.  I never thought of myself as a nervous sort but after 10 years here I am on the edge of the car seat when Bill drives. ( He wants to re-mount the seat facing backwards as I drive him crazy !)  ( Lately I think he'd rather have me in the trunk )  Anyway...yes you have to keep your eyes scanning 360 and expect the un-expected...and .. expect the choice the other driver will make will be the worst choice ...Glad you made the Interamerican hwy trip that last time without incident.  Stay safe.....

• Upvote 1

I win, Alison!  My passenger car seat is already remounted backwards. Last week we came within about five seconds of total wipe-out by one of those flying yellow cars who didn't make the curve. Fortunately he missed us, but gathered the remains of his vehicle piece by piece.

Trunk may be my next location.........:o

• Upvote 1

An example of 'expect the unexpected'. A speeding bus left the highway and slid, on it's side, into a pharmacy in Chepo yesterday.

Varios-pasajero-vehiculo-comercial-Chepo_MEDIMA20170618_0106_5.jpg.aa9efac3bb62316822fbb6c243ed56a9.jpg

Various Injuries in Bus Crash in Chepo

A passenger bus collided with another vehicle and a commercial space after a rollover this Sunday afternoon in the corregimiento of Torti in Chepo.

According to unofficial reports, the driver of the vehicle lost control of the vehicle causing the accident.

Several people who were aboard the bus were injured were treated by the staff of the fire department and taken to the Hospital of the 24 of December.

http://www.telemetro.com/nacionales/Varios-pasajeros-vehiculo-comercial-Chepo_0_1036696759.html

I am going to guess the rear axle locked up on one side. Lack of maintenance issue.  Driver's side of the axle moved backward, disconnected the driveshaft, back end of the bus goes left, driver steers into the "skid", bus rolls over onto the passenger side.  If going fast enough, it all happens in an eyeblink.

It might buff out?

jim

busside.jpg

Yeiks.....guess I should check the regular bus maintenance program for the company before i buy may next ticket to Panama City.

Yah I think a little compound will buff out the back end of the truck fine.  ( that's what my husband tells me when he comes home with a grinding scratch on the side of our car from parking too close to something.)  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brundageba said:

Yeiks.....guess I should check the regular bus maintenance program for the company before i buy may next ticket to Panama City.

Yah I think a little compound will buff out the back end of the truck fine.  ( that's what my husband tells me when he comes home with a grinding scratch on the side of our car from parking too close to something.)  

We have been riding the buses to/from David for years, always an adventure. The "new" double deck buses are great on daytime trips but we were usually on the midnight express. The single biggest safety advance in 40 years was when the drivers were limited to 7 hours as their fastest time for the trip.

The real fun was riding the Diablo Rojos.

jim

2 hours ago, Brundageba said:

One year we made it to Panama City in 5 hours on the midnight refrigerated run.  Needed a stiff drink after we got off the bus.

I think I spotted your problem. You should have a few drinks with the bus driver before boarding! Why be the only one on the bus who is sober?

xD

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JimAndNena said:

I think I spotted your problem. You should have a few drinks with the bus driver before boarding! Why be the only one on the bus who is sober?

xD

What proof do you have to make this accusation that the bus driver and other passengers are not sober?

17 minutes ago, BlueBird said:

What proof do you have to make this accusation that the bus driver and other passengers are not sober?

No proof except that I sat with them and had a beer. Keep in mind, this was 30+ years ago before I took the pledge. Or perhaps it didn't happen. Much of that period is hazy to me now.

I am sure all the drivers are sober and drug-free now.  As I posted, it looks a lot like mechanical failure. Maybe the mechanics, maybe act of God, maybe poor road conditions.  We're you on the bus? Can you give any information?

jim

• 2 weeks later...

ATTT provides training day in the Albrook Terminal

The objective of this training is to provide guidance to citizens on issues related to education and road safety said the entity

miércoles 5 de julio de 2017

331610_800x600_crop_595d77f41201a.jpg.76b3978b818c42e66fa96bbb25cdae40.jpg

The Transit Authority (ATTT) conducted a one-day seminar in road safety in the central square of the Gran Transport Terminal at Albrook.

The objective of this training is to provide guidance to citizens on issues related to education and road safety indicated the entity.

The event had the participation of partners of the 'National Road Safety Education and User Defense of the ATTT' and instructors of the Department of Emergency Management, Disaster, and Patient Transport from the Caja de Seguro Social (CSS).

Attendees had the opportunity to participate in theoretical-practical sessions guided by the staff of the ATTT and CSS:

They also received education in the emergency procedure CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation), which serves to save lives when a person has stopped breathing and the heart has stopped beating.

David Ramirez, National Director of Road Safety Education and Defense of the User, expressed that this activity is part of the actions undertaken by the authority throughout the country, with the aim of promoting road safety and attitudes of respect which are having an impact on the prevention of traffic accidents.

• 2 weeks later...

The ATTT in coordination with the Ministry of Education has published a booklet on drivers education which is to be introduced at primary and secondary school levels.

I guess the idea behind this initiative is that if you can't teach old dogs new tricks, it's better to start with pups.

http://www.telemetro.com/nacionales/ATTT-Meduca-lanzan-Educacion-Vial_3_1045725480.html

The  ATTT is going to educate the owner and driver of the coaster bus which was caught on film with students hanging out and balancing on the windows, rocking it down the streets near Panama City the other day.

Authorities seized the bus and charges were laid. No word on what happened, if anything, to the teens.

http://www.telemetro.com/nacionales/Retienen-grabado-estudiantes-balanceandose-ventanas_0_1046895715.html

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...