On 6/15/2017 at 8:59 AM, Brundageba said:

So the ability to go with the flow is the bottom line...anywhere.

Actually, the electrical system still has a lot to be desired, but it is MUCH better than during the first several years I was here in Volcan. Same with the water system (IDAAN). Even with a 450-gallon holding tank, I can remember keeping 5-gallon jugs of water filled for when there was none. Now I can't remember the last time I was without water.

And re internet, going from dial-up to 20Mbps with Cable Onda...well, that's definitely an improvement!

Also a big improvement is the increased awareness of proper animal care by the locals--and the fact that many now dearly love their pets and care for them very well.

Also grocery stores stocked with a much larger variety of foods, better stocked hardware and other kinds of stores. Long ago, I had to go to Panama City to find the kind of tile I wanted for my floors, kitchen and bathroom counters.

And of course there are other improvements that I didn't mention.  So having "endured" the past years in Volcan, I was content them and I certainly don't have a problem now.

18 hours ago, Mary T said:

As someone who is in the process of relocating to Boquete, I wonder when you were in the "north country" last.  In my city, in the Northeast US, there is broken glass, heroin needles, beer bottles, and trash all over the streets, even in nice neighborhoods.  I just didn't see that in Boquete.  In lovely, touristy New England, we have power outages, crime, gun violence, regular sewer main collapses (most were installed in the 1800's), epidemic opioid addiction, homelessness, and bitter partisan political hatred. To quote JimAndNena, "you can apply all the lipstick you want, it is still a pig."  I guess I prefer the Panamanian variety, and am eager to adapt, adjust, learn, and contribute to a small community in meaningful ways.  Will Boquete be perfect?  That's the wrong question to ask.  It is what it is.  We are all free to make choices.

Absolutely great post, Mary T!

• 3 months later...
On 6/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, Bonnie said:

This article is a decided improvement over Mr. Bolotin's usual publications, and I applaud him for it. It is my view, however, that adjustment to a foreign culture has less to do with a happy attitude and more to do with the stamina and resilience necessary in order to maintain that attitude.

In my latest email edition of Best Places in the World to Retire, I note and applaud the following article by Mr. Bolotin. Those considering a move abroad deserve to know what they will be up against. Let's give credit where it's due.

https://bestplacesintheworldtoretire.com/stories/story/the-top-7-worst-things-about-living-in-mexico

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bonnie said:

In my latest email edition of Best Places in the World to Retire, I note and applaud the following article by Mr. Bolotin. Those considering a move abroad deserve to know what they will be up against. Let's give credit where it's due.

https://bestplacesintheworldtoretire.com/stories/story/the-top-7-worst-things-about-living-in-mexico

Sounds like Panama, though Panama seems to be better in some of those areas.

• 3 weeks later...

As an important piece of our preparation to become expats in Panama (January is just around the corner!) is research x 10 + boots on the ground.  After several visits to Panama and the Chiriquí area, we chose to focus on those things important to us AND became aware of those things that may not be so comfortable in comparison to our lifestyle in the states.  Once we determined that nothing was a show stopper, we put the move plan into place.  Realize that not many go to this length of prep because it is easier to just believe what you read because you want to believe what you read.

Once we are there, time will tell but we are not at all worried.  We find problem solving fun...  and recognize that not all people think the way we do.  I agree with the statements above that attitude is 99% of being happy.  That includes developing patience, which neither of our careers nurtured.

Interesting to note that as we traveled through Panama, Mexico and several other possible retirement locales, we seemed to pick up a set of different lenses through which to view our current lifestyle in Los Angeles.  Go anywhere in L.A. these days and see, using one of those different lenses, the same or worse issues you will find in any 2nd or 3rd world country.  We relate to what Mary T states above.   Lest I start a rant on unequal distribution of wealth and get political.... I'll stop here.

Thanks to many of you that contribute this board, we feel well prepared for this next chapter.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Panawanna said:

Once we are there, time will tell but we are not at all worried.  We find problem solving fun...  and recognize that not all people think the way we do.  I agree with the statements above that attitude is 99% of being happy.  That includes developing patience, which neither of our careers nurtured.

All about attitude. You guys should fit in just fine!

On 12/4/2017 at 12:06 PM, Panawanna said:

As an important piece of our preparation to become expats in Panama (January is just around the corner!) is research x 10 + boots on the ground.  After several visits to Panama and the Chiriquí area, we chose to focus on those things important to us AND became aware of those things that may not be so comfortable in comparison to our lifestyle in the states.  Once we determined that nothing was a show stopper, we put the move plan into place.  Realize that not many go to this length of prep because it is easier to just believe what you read because you want to believe what you read.

Interesting to note that as we traveled through Panama, Mexico and several other possible retirement locales, we seemed to pick up a set of different lenses through which to view our current lifestyle in Los Angeles.  Go anywhere in L.A. these days and see, using one of those different lenses, the same or worse issues you will find in any 2nd or 3rd world country.  We relate to what Mary T states above.   Lest I start a rant on unequal distribution of wealth and get political.... I'll stop here.

Thanks to many of you that contribute this board, we feel well prepared for this next chapter.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:54 AM, JudyS said:

Sounds like Panama, though Panama seems to be better in some of those areas.

One perceptual bias is how crappy the place you left was (weather, etc.) making the place you are going to better. The better place may only be better in that aspect. Beware of confirmation bias of recent arrivals. I almost got derailed by that one regarding Thailand! Pay close attention to how the laws and bureaucracy works (or doesn't) in your new country. I know of a few that had their plans here totally destroyed. Pay attention to murder and highway fatality rates (easily googled).