On 6/15/2017 at 8:59 AM, Brundageba said:

So the ability to go with the flow is the bottom line...anywhere.

Actually, the electrical system still has a lot to be desired, but it is MUCH better than during the first several years I was here in Volcan. Same with the water system (IDAAN). Even with a 450-gallon holding tank, I can remember keeping 5-gallon jugs of water filled for when there was none. Now I can't remember the last time I was without water.

And re internet, going from dial-up to 20Mbps with Cable Onda...well, that's definitely an improvement!

Also a big improvement is the increased awareness of proper animal care by the locals--and the fact that many now dearly love their pets and care for them very well.

Also grocery stores stocked with a much larger variety of foods, better stocked hardware and other kinds of stores. Long ago, I had to go to Panama City to find the kind of tile I wanted for my floors, kitchen and bathroom counters.

And of course there are other improvements that I didn't mention.  So having "endured" the past years in Volcan, I was content them and I certainly don't have a problem now.

18 hours ago, Mary T said:

As someone who is in the process of relocating to Boquete, I wonder when you were in the "north country" last.  In my city, in the Northeast US, there is broken glass, heroin needles, beer bottles, and trash all over the streets, even in nice neighborhoods.  I just didn't see that in Boquete.  In lovely, touristy New England, we have power outages, crime, gun violence, regular sewer main collapses (most were installed in the 1800's), epidemic opioid addiction, homelessness, and bitter partisan political hatred. To quote JimAndNena, "you can apply all the lipstick you want, it is still a pig."  I guess I prefer the Panamanian variety, and am eager to adapt, adjust, learn, and contribute to a small community in meaningful ways.  Will Boquete be perfect?  That's the wrong question to ask.  It is what it is.  We are all free to make choices.

Absolutely great post, Mary T!

On 6/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, Bonnie said:

This article is a decided improvement over Mr. Bolotin's usual publications, and I applaud him for it. It is my view, however, that adjustment to a foreign culture has less to do with a happy attitude and more to do with the stamina and resilience necessary in order to maintain that attitude.

In my latest email edition of Best Places in the World to Retire, I note and applaud the following article by Mr. Bolotin. Those considering a move abroad deserve to know what they will be up against. Let's give credit where it's due.

https://bestplacesintheworldtoretire.com/stories/story/the-top-7-worst-things-about-living-in-mexico

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bonnie said:

In my latest email edition of Best Places in the World to Retire, I note and applaud the following article by Mr. Bolotin. Those considering a move abroad deserve to know what they will be up against. Let's give credit where it's due.

https://bestplacesintheworldtoretire.com/stories/story/the-top-7-worst-things-about-living-in-mexico

Sounds like Panama, though Panama seems to be better in some of those areas.