Customs Definition of "Ordinary" Kitchen Knife

In the current list of banned items published by Panamanian customs, they list the following:

Knives or blades except ordinary kitchen knives.

Does anyone have any idea on what their definition of "ordinary" is?   And how often does that change? 

A friend of mine had a medium sized butcher knife confiscated.  To me that's an ordinary knife.

• Upvote 1

Why this ban at all? I don't understand the reasoning since knives, ordinary or not, can be obtained anywhere. Is there a special danger in the mailing of them? If so, why is that danger restricted to only certain knives? Just trying to understand, perhaps futilely.

• Upvote 1

I understood kitchen knives were accepted to pass through.  I had a pocket knife held up in customs for the customary ridiculous long time after sending the customary documents.

Took 6 weeks to finally get one single tube of lipstick...hard to understand them there.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

Why this ban at all? I don't understand the reasoning since knives, ordinary or not, can be obtained anywhere. Is there a special danger in the mailing of them? If so, why is that danger restricted to only certain knives? Just trying to understand, perhaps futilely.

You're right, it doesn't make sense at all.

Now that I'm learning how to cook in my retirement I need certain items.  I recently purchased a used knife made by Rada in the US ( http://www.radacutlery.com/ ) from an expat leaving and I'm in love with it.  They've got an amazing assortment of knives available from their website a few that I'd like to order.  I'm going to go meet with Arturo at MBE and see if he has any insight.  My concern is how often this "definition" changes.

• Upvote 1

It's not written in stone.  I find Amazon boxes tend to make it through.....most of the time.  I've received fiberglass resin and catalyst, try figure.   I received a stun gun flash light.  That said, a tube of lipstick could be found as mighty suspicious and it is not on that list.  I've never had any item permanently confiscated...just held up for a long time. ie: cool collars that you place in water to hydrate and then in the refrigerator were held up for months.

On 6/10/2017 at 10:13 AM, MarieElaine said:

I ordered about a year ago.  I ordered 3 paring knives, 6 steak knives and a chefs knife along with the sharpener.  They are Rada's light weight aluminum collection and I love them.

Marie,

Thanks for the clarification.  I'm familiar with those models, they're pretty docile looking knives.  And yes, I've got one of the light weight aluminum ones too and it's terrific.  It seems cheap since it's so light weight but it cuts amazingly well.

On 6/10/2017 at 0:03 PM, Keith Woolford said:

Probably has less to do with product detail and more to do with the customs broker that the forwarder is using.

That brings up an excellent question, are all of the mail forwarding services treated equally.  MBE has their own employee at customs at a dedicated table under camera surveillance opening up every single incoming package as opposed to having a Panamanian customs official perform the task.  I do not believe the others do.

4 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

That brings up an excellent question, are all of the mail forwarding services treated equally.  MBE has their own employee at customs at a dedicated table under camera surveillance opening up every single incoming package as opposed to having a Panamanian customs official perform the task.  I do not believe the others do.

MIDA gets involved somewhere.  where?