No. This is a very dangerous rumor because anyone who believes it is going to get burned.

The current state of affairs is that US. citizens (and some other nationalities) are allowed to stay only 180 days in Panama on a tourist visa, after which time they are required to stay out of the country for a month before being allowed to return on a tourist visa. Out of the 180 days, their driver's license is good for only 90 days.

The real concern is why some people are not allowed to return after having been away for over a month. There are a few cases that suggest that the country is flagging those persons who have been living here on a tourist visa for a long time and, when they show up after the one month away, not allowing them reentry as tourists. They appear to be doing this on a case-by-case basis as no general rule has been forthcoming. I think anyone who has been here on a tourist visa for more than two or three years is at risk of being denied reentry unless they can show that they have applied for permanent residency.

Edited by Bonnie
  • Upvote 1

Bonnie,

You're correct, not a good rumor to spread.  However I heard it from two unrelated distinct sources.  I usually won't repeat something until I've heard it from three or more sources but these sources seem pretty confident.

As you know they did change the rules for certain countries from 180 to 90 days which in the past people have said they couldn't because it would be discriminatory but they did so anyways.  So I was just wondering about this rule.

As for border hops at Tocumen, it's been reported that there's been numerous people staying out less than 30 days with one as short as six days.  Go figure.

• Upvote 1

Bottom line...you want to live here, then apply for a visa.  If not, then traveling as a tourist elsewhere must be the most logical option.  Right now there seems to be no way around it.  Not saying that it could change in time...but for the older retiree, there's not that kind of time to wait it out methinks.  Bill and I traveled as young adults quite a bit.  One thing we learned was, if you wish to reside in a foreign country, following their rules to the letter was the safest option.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

Bonnie,

You're correct, not a good rumor to spread.  However I heard it from two unrelated distinct sources.  I usually won't repeat something until I've heard it from three or more sources but these sources seem pretty confident.

As you know they did change the rules for certain countries from 180 to 90 days which in the past people have said they couldn't because it would be discriminatory but they did so anyways.  So I was just wondering about this rule.

As for border hops at Tocumen, it's been reported that there's been numerous people staying out less than 30 days with one as short as six days.  Go figure.

I received the following e-mail yesterday from the U.S. Embassy:

Bonnie,

It is our understanding that there has been no change in the length of time that U.S. tourists can stay in Panama (still 180 days).

We are currently working to have a Panamanian immigration official answer general immigration questions for U.S. citizens on Radio Chiriqui soon.

Best,
Thao Anh

I have no knowledge of anyone having been granted reentry after six days, although it's certainly possible. But I think someone would be foolish to incur the expense of leaving the country, particularly by airline, and try to return in 3 days or 6 days. Chances are they will not be admitted. And there is the possibility that they will be denied entry even after 30 days out. As I said, the government appears to be looking at return travelers on a case-by-case basis. And there is some evidence that, based on the number of stamps in their passport, some people are being flagged as perpetual tourists. As you say, go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Admin_01 changed the title to Is Border Hopping Returning to 3 Days Out of the Country?