With the recent opening of Super Baru I've been seeing more vehicles turning left on to Calle 4A from the main street to go over there.

It's actually not permitted to turn left off the main street at that intersection in front of the Park when coming from either direction, and sooner or later it will be enforced.

Although this type of signage is not customary in North America, It's clearly marked on the pavement at the approach that there are only two options, either driving straight ahead or making a right turn.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is true in all locations where there are arrows painted on the pavement, tho most people either do not notice or understand their significance.   If there are arrows painted on the pavement, those are the ONLY permitted directions.    If there is not an arrow painted in the direction you want to turn but there are others painted arrows, then the turn you want to make is not permitted.

A common and semi-humorous story is that when a gringo is pulled over for making such a turn, the gringo says there was no sign saying the turn WAS NOT permitted, to which the officer replies, there was no sign (painted on the street) saying it WAS permitted.   A subtle but important difference.   All permitted directions are shown whereas any other directions are not permitted.

• Upvote 2

While running errands in town today we looked at that intersection. Never noticed them before, but lo and behold there are arrows painted on the roadway (not doubting you, Keith). Interesting learning on my part. I intend to respect those restrictions in the future.

On 6/7/2017 at 9:19 AM, Keith Woolford said:

With the recent opening of Super Baru I've been seeing more vehicles turning left on to Calle 4A from the main street to go over there.

It's actually not permitted to turn left off the main street at that intersection in front of the Park when coming from either direction, and sooner or later it will be enforced.

Although this type of signage is not customary in North America, It's clearly marked on the pavement at the approach that there are only two options, either driving straight ahead or making a right turn.

Actually, left is possible if driving southbound?

noleftturn.jpg

Keith:  too bad more people have not read your posting. We've noticed several drivers making this illegal turn.

This is really a pain in the neck for me when returning home from downtown as I have to go over the bridge next to the fairgrounds. Since the street leading from the bridge is one-way by the park, it's always been a pain getting into town. Now it's a pain both ways. I have to go all around Robin Hood's barn. I'm SO glad the Panamonte Bridge is being built.

• Upvote 2

Actually Bonnie, those left turn prohibitions have been in place since about 2013 when the highway project was still on and they re-marked the main street. It took a few years for the old painted markings to wear off.

Many people just ignore these signals and those at pedestrian crosswalks.

41 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

This is really a pain in the neck for me when returning home from downtown as I have to go over the bridge next to the fairgrounds. Since the street leading from the bridge is one-way by the park, it's always been a pain getting into town. Now it's a pain both ways. I have to go all around Robin Hood's barn. I'm SO glad the Panamonte Bridge is being built.

You are cracking me up, Bonnie.

Here's a photo of your favorite bridge from 1984. You can see the remains of the one washed away in 1970 in the "button".

jim

boq84_0001.jpg

4 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Actually Bonnie, those left turn prohibitions have been in place since about 2013 when the highway project was still on and they re-marked the main street. It took a few years for the old painted markings to wear off.

Many people just ignore these signals and those at pedestrian crosswalks.

I know, Keith. But nobody knew anything about it until you told us. Ignorance of the law is my excuse. Expats are used to looking for signs, not paint in the road. Because of the number of tourists here, I think it would be smart to post some signs--particularly noting which streets are one way. I've seen many a person make a right at the La Bruna corner going north and nearly hit a taxi or transport bus head on.

• Upvote 1

I have a sneaking suspicion that people ignore the arrows in the street because it makes no sense to not allow left turns at that intersection. I have to confess that I have ignored the airrows quite frequently. Also, having a "no left turn" sign or painting on the street is a lot more effective than just the lack of an arrow.

Reminds me of when I got a ticket in David for making an illegal left turn. I said to the policeman, "but officer, there's no sign prohibiting a left turn." He knowingly turned to me and said, "Ah, but there's no sign permitting it." Got me there and I paid the $75 ticket. :x:x

I always stop at pedestrian crosswalks, but I've noticed that few people do.

Speaking of how long it takes to drive through town these days, on Thursday I saw no fewer than three cars parked in traffic lanes with no driver present, backing up traffic quite some distance. This happened, incidentally, while I was driving all over town trying to get to the bridge to come home.:P

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Penny said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that people ignore the arrows in the street because it makes no sense to not allow left turns at that intersection. I have to confess that I have ignored the airrows quite frequently. Also, having a "no left turn" sign or painting on the street is a lot more effective than just the lack of an arrow.

Reminds me of when I got a ticket in David for making an illegal left turn. I said to the policeman, "but officer, there's no sign prohibiting a left turn." He knowingly turned to me and said, "Ah, but there's no sign permitting it." Got me there and I paid the $75 ticket. :x:x

Given the policeman's reasoning, virtually nothing is permitted in David.

• Upvote 1

The question begs, then, is the signage perhaps purposely confusing or lacking so as to provide a revenue stream via tickets? I want to drive by the rules but seems, by the comments here,  the rules are not concise. Are the rules of the road and signage definitions published somewhere rather than just painted on the streets?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Panawanna said:

The question begs, then, is the signage perhaps purposely confusing or lacking so as to provide a revenue stream via tickets? I want to drive by the rules but seems, by the comments here,  the rules are not concise. Are the rules of the road and signage definitions published somewhere rather than just painted on the streets?

No real effort to generate revenue, it is just how it is done.  If there are no arrows, turn where you want. If there are arrows, pick one and follow it.  Boquete only has about 3 one way streets so arrows are few.  Lots of crosswalks however as the town is small and walking is really the fastest way to get around. Once you find a parking space, you may not find another.

jim

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Calle 4A is a 2-way street between Av. de los Fundadores and Av. Centenario where Super Baru is located.

There is a 'right turn allowed' arrow marked on the pavement in the southbound lane of Av. de los Fundadores in front of the Park.

IMG_6939.JPG.67c8a859050e01b581b30ab4458fd242.JPG

Also, the parking spaces in front of El Constructor and Caja de Ahorros on 4A Sur are angled to suit westbound traffic and there is an ALTO or Stop sign at the west end of the street.

IMG_6940.JPG.eeaff394822ee482d9a198577e8a1353.JPG

• Thanks 1