I don't know why I find this interesting. I like chicken, and apparently many others do as well. Non-vegetarians have fish, beef, chicken/poultry, and pork to choose from, but (my opinion here) domestic beef leaves something missing for the palette.

Hmmmm.... Imports increasing and exports declining. The poultry farmers seem to be aware of this trend. Wonder how they will respond?

Not sure I buy into the 40 kilo per capita chicken consumption statistic that is asserted.

Just posting here as "food for thought". -_-

Panama Imports More and More Chicken

The union of poultry farmers reported an increase of 172% on imports of chicken in the last five years and per capita consumption of 40 kilos in 2015. 

Friday, May 27, 2016

Prensa.com reports that "...The report, which was presented by the National Association of Poultry Farmers of Panama (ANAVIP) as part of its performance index for 2015, reveals that in 2010 a total of 3,445,809 kilos of chicken arrived in the country originating from the United States, compared to 2015 when 9,378,095 kilos were imported, registering an increase of about 6 million kilos of chicken over five years. "

Representatives of Panamanian poultry companies believe that the increase is "unconscionable" and although they are aware that they operate in a free market environment, they believe that "... 'we must also work to consolidate domestic production'" said Luis Carlos Castroverde, president of the ANAVIP.

On the other hand, foreign sales of processed chicken meat products declined between 2014 and 2015, going from $6,108,929 in 2014 to 5,580,749 in 2015, which is a decrease of 8.6%.

http://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Panama_Imports_More_and_More_Chicken

So we would love to buy more fresh chicken, but it seems the suppliers here freeze it before sending it out to retail.

We even went directly to Avicola Athenas in Potrerillos a few times and the attendant brought out the larger quantity we asked for, but from the freezer.

When they bring chicken over to Canasta Basica in Plaza San Francisco it's in frozen lots.

Any ideas besides having hens in the garden?

Edited by Keith Woolford

Keith,

Try Super Baru in David.  Jocie swears by their Toledano chicken, says it is much superior to the Athenas stuff.  We tried whole chickens from local Panamanians a short while ago, very disappointing, tough as shoe leather unless it was cooked for many hours.

It is interesting this news.   MELO has a plant in Panama that is in partnership with Tyson and those chickens are for export.  

In my old days there were some Mini Markets that have live chickens and you ask for the chicken you wanted and they killed then there and gave you a fresh, recently killed chicken.  I do remember that when I was a kid I didnt wanted to go there because I didnt want to see how they killed the chicken.  

I dont know if those markets still exists.

Finding good chicken is becoming a problem.  I stopped buying the boneless/skinless breasts at Price Smart.  They are unnaturally large (what do they do to those chickens?) and sometimes one in a package will be so fibrous that it is hard to cut when raw and hard to chew when cooked.  Patio chickens, those that run around free, are often so tough they are not edible.  The breasts sold at Romero have this strange layer on one side that is impervious to pounding when you want to flatten them for chicken Kiev or breaded cutlets.  Frozen ones would be OK if they were good.  Any leads on good chicken would be appreciated.  Perhaps boneless thighs are a better choice than breasts?

Panama: Poultry Sector Figures in 2016

The Panamanian producers' association reports that last year 104 million chickens were slaughtered and total egg production amounted to 654 million.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

Figures from the National Poultry Association of Panama (Anavip) indicate an increase not only in poultry production but also in consumption. According to the National Poultry Activity Performance Index 2016, "... per capita chicken meat consumption stood at 90 lbs (41 kg), increasing by 3 lbs per person between 2015 and last year." 

Laestrella.com.pa reports that "...In the analyzed period, the breeding bird population reached 1,711,151 units, the fattening population 18,928,592 units and the egg layers 3,182,856 units, according to figures from the Ministry of Agricultural Development (MIDA), disseminated by Anavip.

"... In 2016, 104 million chickens were slaughtered, which is an increase of 5 million compared to the 2015 statistics, when 99 million chickens were slaughtered. Last year, egg production was 645 million units, 32 million more than in the previous year, when 613 million units were produced."

http://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Panama_Poultry_Sector_Figures_in_2016

Panama loves its chicken meat

chicken.jpg

PANAMANIANS ate   90 lbs per capita, of chicken meat in 2016 up three  pounds per person from the previous year.

The producers’ association reports that last year 104 million chickens were slaughtered and total egg production amounted to 654 million.

Figures from the National Poultry Association of Panama (Anavip) indicate an increase not only in poultry production but also in consumption.

According to the National Poultry Activity Performance Index 2016, “… per capita chicken meat consumption stood at 90 lbs (41 kg), increasing by 3 lbs per person between 2015 and last year.”

Laestrella.com.pa reports that “…In the analyzed period, the breeding bird population reached 1,711,151 units, the fattening population 18,928,592 units and the egg layers 3,182,856 units, according to figures from the Ministry of Agricultural Development (MIDA), disseminated by Anavip.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/business/panama-4/panama-loves-chicken-meat

Poultry Market Figures in Panama

In 2017 the contribution of the poultry sector to the Panamanian economy amounted to $373 million, which represents an increase of 26% compared to the figure registered in 2016.

Friday, May 25, 2018

According to data from the National Association of Poultry Farmers of Panama (Anavip), in relation to 2016, last year egg production grew by 8% and chicken meat by 4%, and the activity was concentrated mainly in the provinces of Western Panama, Veraguas, Coclé, Colón, Los Santos and Chiriqui.  

See "Figures on the chicken meat market in Central America"

Regarding the competition facing local production, Luis Carlos Castroverde, president of Anavip told Prensa.com that " ...'The country is still importing, although in smaller quantities, frozen chicken that is sold as fresh in the local market, an unfair practice that threatens the industry and consumer health.' "

The article adds that according to Anavip statistics " ... Panama is the third country in Latin America with the highest consumption of chicken meat.  In 2017, per capita consumption stood at 92 pounds (41.7 kilograms), two more than those reported in 2016.

According to figures from the Market Snapshot of Chicken in Central America, prepared by CentralAmericaData, in 2016 Panama was the country in the region that recorded the highest per capita annual consumption, with 43.8 kilos.

See Anavip indicators.

https://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Poultry_Market_Figures_in_Panama

Poultry Market Figures in Central America

During the last year, 70% of imports of poultry for fattening, poultry for breeding and processed meat were made by companies in Guatemala, Panama and Nicaragua.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

From the "Poultry Market in Central America" report, developed by the Trade Intelligence Department of CentralAmericaData:

In 2017, 20% of regional imports of poultry for fattening, breeding and processed meat were in six companies. In the case of Costa Rica, three companies represented 40% of the country's purchases last year.

Regarding purchases by country during 2017, in Panama four companies imported 47% of the total and in Guatemala seven companies represented 20% of the imports of the poultry products concerned.

Regarding the main suppliers of the regional market, the report explains that seven companies represented 21% of total imports made by Central America last year.

The report details that, among the main markets of origin of imports from Central America, the U.S., Chile, Canada and Germany are the most important.

https://www.centralamericadata.com/en/article/main/Poultry_Market_Figures_in_Central_America