I found this to be an amazing account. Could that many people really have been on a three-month border run totally oblivious to the change in the immigration laws? Have they been locked in their homes without a computer and without reading materials of any kind? And how come they were penalized only a week while the Walkers were required to be gone a month?

http://www.lizlarroquette.com/time-get-papers-order/

One other thing that puzzles me: wouldn't making a border run from Panama City to Paso Canoas every three months for three years be sufficient impetus to seek residency?

Edited by Bonnie

I was for many years as I have discussed on this forum before.   Bad lawyers and corrupt system forced some of us.   To be honest, after fighting the system for more than a year, it simply becomes easier just to make the border run.   After all, who doesn't enjoy a little 3 day vacation in Costa Rica at a nicer beach than those in Panama?    I began making my border runs from Panama City because I had no choice.  It was a long haul at times... trying to get thru the system to become legal was more of a challenge than a long bus ride.

Also, even for those people that saw it coming, there was little they could do to quickly to comply with new rules and regulations.   The process quoted by most lawyers is 6 months to a year to get processed and a bunch of money upfront with no guarantees.   Your mileage may vary (lol)

I did eventually get thru the system and get a Friendly Nations Visa but I can understand those that either can't or won't.   I won't put my wife thru it as she is still considered to be a tourist.

Immigration laws change, as does the government and its decrees.  Regardless of whether you think border hopping was legit and legal or if you think it was a loophole, the fact remains that it had been used by a very large number of people for many, many years.  The government of Martinelli was border hoping friendly and not interested in changing the law.  Varela's government is not boarder hoping friendly.   This government is looking for money and it appears that this is one way to generate some.  (just my personal view on it all).  I suspect that Matinelli's approach brought more business and money into Panama than Varela's solution will but only time will tell.    Either way, it is absolutely Panama's right to change and enforce immigration as it sees fit. 

Consistency does not exist in Panama nor does equal enforcement of the laws.   Walkers got unlucky and got a longer penalty.    As many can attest, your experience at the border depends on the agent at the time - it was rarely the same from day to day.   I was never forced to stay out the full three days and was always permitted to return the same day.   That is inconsistent with what others were experienced and I was always prepared to stay longer if the agent made that requirement.

For some of us - it is merely the nudge we need to move on.

Edited by Twin Wolf Technology Group

Some people, like the Walkers, found that they could not qualify for any residency visa, even though they tried over several years. But it sounds like the woman in question here just didn't want to go pursue it and, having finally pursued it, faces no problems.  More amazing, though, is that she--and a number of folks detained at the border at the same time she was--were utterly unaware of the enforcement change. As Twin Wolf points out, things change often here in Panama. If you don't keep up via Chiriqui Life, News Boquete, FB's Boquete News, etc., you're foolish, in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

The border could simply have a sign posted at the window so that people would know, I don't understand why they aren't doing this.  I wondered if there were many people getting caught unaware because some people don't use internet forums, or even use the internet much at all. 

The Varela government would have been happy to leave border hopping alone imo, but problems with an over abundance of economic refugees from South America on tourist visas got of hand, and this was how the government responded.

Edited by Keith Woolford