Event in the Square, Celebrating 100 Year Anniversary of Red Cross

Having a doctor appointment at Consultorios Médico Alfa yesterday morning, I diddly bopped into town a bit after 11:00AM. I quickly saw that something special was about to start because there were lots of police on motorcycles and people standing in the street in front of Melos. I was not aware of anything special scheduled for Friday morning. My initial instinct was that it was a protest. Fortunately my appointment was on the main street, and so I thought how lucky I was to avoid that blockage. I make it to my appointment, finding a parking slot in front of the medical office (next door to La Reina) and am sitting in the waiting area for my appointment.

And then the festivities started. It was not a protest, but rather a parade. Leading the parade was the Alcalde Emigdio Walker. I then had a frequently occurring disappointment that I did not know in advance of the parade. But this time I felt vindicated because others in the waiting area (mostly Panamanians) indicated that they likewise had no idea that there was a parade scheduled for that morning.

The first significant group that I could identify was the Red Cross. There were many bands, drums, groups marching in formation, drums, dancers, flags, etc., and oh, did I mention LOTS OF DRUMS.

Glad to read Deborah's posting explaining that this was celebrating an anniversary of the Red Cross, which explains why the first group following the mayor was the Red Cross with their banner. Per Keith's posting, maybe I need to listen to the radio more frequently.

I completed my medical consult, and then went to the other side of the street (in front of Mail Boxes, Etc.) for a better viewing point. Here are two photos that I took after I left the medical office. The entire event lasted about 30-45 minutes.

Boquete-Parada-1.thumb.jpg.561db396b4da86acc9cc6944bbf37001.jpg

Boquete-Parade-2.thumb.jpg.feec713c87f63b2fbca8de9e00373dd4.jpg

4 hours ago, Bud said:

But this time I felt vindicated because others in the waiting area (mostly Panamanians) indicated that they likewise had no idea that there was a parade scheduled for that morning.

Guess they don't listen to the radio either! Must be a calendar of local events, by Panamanians, posted somewhere.

• Admin_01 changed the title to Event in the Square, Celebrating 100 Year Anniversary of Red Cross