Silliness has Started again in front of Brisas Boqueteñas

• 2 weeks later...

No new crashes !!...just the debris from past blasts and a few tire marks left on the slanted cement wall.  In surfing we call that maneuver an "off the lip".....  Bill demonstrates how it's done.   Very impressive in a car !!

IMG_2623.jpg

Edited by Brundageba
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Three people injured this afternoon at the curve in front of Brisas when this pickup rolled and crashed violently.

DJ3spTyXUAAxIFc.thumb.jpg.643145b568608fbcf9d846db99a41b93.jpg

https://twitter.com/BCBRP/status/909142942517989382

Further down the highway in Los Algarrobos, someone tangled with a biker. Apparently no injuries there.

https://twitter.com/chirikiando/status/909141033598013441

https://twitter.com/chirikiando/status/909141033598013441

Edited by Keith Woolford

Check out the wall !   Look at the number of tire marks on it.   Then look into the ditch on the other side of the street and see the amount of left over car debris.    It's a crazy dangerous curve and it freaks me out each time we pull out of Brisas.   You really don't have a good clear view of south bound traffic because of the arch and the plants...as well the curve. 

A good deal of the problems with water on the highway were alleviated when a drainage ditch was dug preceding the curve, and I think we have seen less crashes since. That being said, there's not much of a bank on the surface in the curve which would help it drain more quickly.

The real problems however, continue to be operator errors:  excessive speed, over-confidence, poorly maintained equipment.

5 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

Maybe, when a politicians family member is killed at this curve something will be done. It's sad but that might be the case. The occasional radar cop is a band-aid treatment at best.

Well...as long as it isn't me pulling out that gets hit.   Cars coming down are going fast and I'm leaning 90 degrees peering around bushes starting acceleration while at the same time making a turn out on to the road.   Puts me at a disadvantage.  Look what happened to that truck that made a turn into the cab that was no doubt going like a bat outta hell down the road.  The cab and passengers were turned into pulp in an instant.

I would think, Judy, because EVERONE knows how dangerous that section of the road is especially in wet weather.  I know most disagree with me, but in my mind there are no "accidents" and what happens at Brisas merely reinforces that position.  In other words, sillyness on the part of the driver.  Unfortunate that some get injured or even killed, but that is not the fault of the road.  If calming measures such as speed bumps and chutes were installed some people would still find a way to continue silly/dangerous driving.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

Simple solution folks.  Reduce the maximum speed through that area to 20 kms/hr and strictly enforce it every day.  You wouldn't have any more accidents there, but I suspect a whole bunch of people would whine.

Just like stop signs?   Guy ran one in front of us this morning....not a pause or a slowing down nor a turn of the head in our direction.   Signs don't seem to deter the silliness factor.  Driving while using the gizmo phone, driving while drunk, driving with bald tires, taxi drivers in general.   Hey the silly list is long...then add to any one of those factors a seeming death wish a/o poor judgement  (or no judgement).  

20 km/hr?   I see 30 km/hr signs in construction areas.   Ever see any drivers going that slow on a road?   I guarantee you if I drove 20 km/hr in that location I'd be rear ended and sent right into the wall and left spinning upside down.

2 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

I guess you missed the "strictly enforced" part?  Of course signs and speed limits mean nothing if no one is enforcing them, but if they are,nthen behaviour changes very quickly.

Nope I saw it.  So ......a full time cop with radar 24/7 ?    Strictly enforced I'd find hard to believe would ever happen.  The cardboard cop I thought was a pretty good idea...but they tend to shrivel in the rain and blow away in the wind.  We need a real good plastic one secured to a solid frame.

cardboardcops1.jpg

Overconfident speeding drivers keep challenging this curve and losing.

Certainly some better signage might help. The 10 indicators which are in place now just aren't doing the job.

These ones are in the Drivers Handbook of Regulations.

Pronounced Curve

pre_P7_a.jpg.6babcf1d60b9c4428dd7ee601524f8b7.jpg

Slippery Pavement

SP-44.jpg.ec02b3d2e2ce0ce496773e159a5a05c8.jpg

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Signs are like restraining orders, not worth the material they are printed on.  There is always that "special" someone who will drive unsafely and then claim that it is the road's fault.  Unless someone such as the Diputada or the Mayor gets involved, nothing much will happen.

1 hour ago, JohnF13 said:

Signs are like restraining orders, not worth the material they are printed on.  There is always that "special" someone who will drive unsafely and then claim that it is the road's fault.  Unless someone such as the Diputada or the Mayor gets involved, nothing much will happen.

Sorry But I don't agree.  What Keith posted would do a lot of good.  Both signs need to be posted well advance of that curve.  When we had the paper cops here and there...they'd always make you slow down and pay more attention to the road.  When you got close and realized...ok,ok the fake cop I forgot again....you realize once again you'd been had.  I loved those !!

There's always the idiot who will land once again upside down there after the off the wall maneuver but the signs would warn those less familiar with that bad curve and it's history. 

Edited by Brundageba