"Federal Mall" Construction project

Marcelyn

We drove to David recently and noticed north of town a very large (think in terms of huge) construction project. It is on the right side while traveling south toward David. Looks to be several hectares involving many workers and lots of big equipment. Anyone know what this is about?

Edited by Admin_01
modified the title, now that we know the name of the project

2 hours ago, Hil said:

I found the renderings and see the new bus terminal. I was betting they wouldn't move it. Wrong again.

Hil you are not wrong.  They are not moving the bus terminal.  Check out this video and look very closely at the map they show in the beginning.  The new terminal Phase 1 is going to be built on the site of the existing terminal, what the **** are they going to do for a terminal while construction is happening they do not say.  Phase 2 is in the big empty lot next to the current terminal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=68&v=Yd86cEhhQdo   

The construction on the new David Boquete highway is for the new (Albook type) mall that is going to be built.  The bus terminal will not be there.

The confusion around this, I think, is from my friend Don Ray (Chiriqui Chatter), he posted the two together on Chiriqui Chatter.  I love Don and I am sure I make more mistakes that he does by a bunch.  But if you look really close at the video you can see that both phases are at the current bus station, not at the new mall.

Edited by Chris McCall
to fix my mistakes

Given that the developer of the new "Federal Mall" in David is the same as the one that has had a huge success with the Albrook Mall, where a major portion of the shopper traffic is generated from the adjoining bus terminal, it makes sense to believe that it will build a similar complex in David. That is what is shown in the published plans. I am also surmising that it will arrange to improve the access to and from the Pan American highway. In time, the new facility is likely to attract a significant amount of bus traffic and I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Tico/Tica shoppers. The existing bus terminal might respond with a competing re-model, or not. 

On November 20, 2015 at 10:06:19 AM, Jim Bondoux said:

Given that the developer of the new "Federal Mall" in David is the same as the one that has had a huge success with the Albrook Mall, where a major portion of the shopper traffic is generated from the adjoining bus terminal, it makes sense to believe that it will build a similar complex in David. That is what is shown in the published plans. I am also surmising that it will arrange to improve the access to and from the Pan American highway. In time, the new facility is likely to attract a significant amount of bus traffic and I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of Tico/Tica shoppers. The existing bus terminal might respond with a competing re-model, or not. 

I too hope the developer of "Federal Mall" will arrange an appropriate access to and from the autopista between Boquete and David. Otherwise, does anyone know an alternate route from Boquete to David? Traffic could get very busy in this area.

48 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Taking the old section of highway from Los Algarrobos to David would allow a person to bypass the section adjacent to the site.

Keith: the next time we drive to David we'll try this route.

PS.  You always know and share a lot of good information.  Thanks.

Jim, I don't know how much you get around in David, but everywhere we go there seems to be office buildings in construction. I've wondered who was going to fill all these offices but just don't have a clue. There are also several little strip malls. One is across from DQ.

• 2 weeks later...
On November 23, 2015 at 11:31:26 AM, Keith Woolford said:

Taking the old section of highway from Los Algarrobos to David would allow a person to bypass the section adjacent to the site.

Keith, this week on a trip to David we checked out your recommendation to use the old highway section for bypassing the area where the huge Federal Mall will be located. Perfect solution. Obviously we don't need to do that right now because there is no congestion, but it is comforting to know we will have options for when there are traffic problems.

Thanks. You are a great source of information.

• 1 year later...

On my way to David today I stopped to take a couple of snapshots, which are attached. The main structure is now well above ground, and a big part of the parking lot seems to have been poured. It is thick concrete able to take a beating and survive the rains, so probably a good investment. The plans show at least four entrances to the parking lot from the David-Boquete highway. The first entrance coming from Boquete may offer a convenient way to access the PanAmerican highway eastbound.

My latest read is that they were unable to convince the powers to move the bus terminal from downtown, so I am guessing that there will be some arrangements for shuttles and jitneys to drop off and pick up shoppers.

FederalMall1.JPG

FederalMall2.JPG

• Upvote 1