• Moderator_02 changed the title to Boquete's Deli Barú, and the New Super Barú
  • 2 weeks later...

I made my first trip to the new Super Baru today after having been in the States for two weeks and missing the earliest days. I was very impressed right off when I saw a young man out front directing parking. It was so nice to see no one astride two parking spaces or parked so as to block another car in! The store was far from full at 10:30 on Sunday morning, but there was a line at the meat counter waiting for their numbers to come up, and the meats looked fresh and had no offensive smell. I loved the increased number of choices in most everything, and I was further impressed when the owner, who was on hand this morning, took my cart after I had unloaded for checkout and called a worker off the floor to bag my groceries when other baggers were busy. There was one big disappointment, though. The aisles were clogged with stockers and stuff to be stocked. It was as bad as the worst I've witnessed at Romero. The hours are posted as 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., so I can't understand why they can't do their stocking of shelves at night when, presumably, there are fewer customers, as they seem to be genuinely interested in customer service. If the store had been crowded this morning, I don't know how anyone could have negotiated the aisles. I must have said "permiso" a hundred times.

29 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

you won't be pushing off down the street with your cart if you can't get through the gauntlet.

That's it exactly. They want to keep the carts captive inside for their intended purpose. They have kids available to carry out your stuff if necessary.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

To

49 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

They have kids available to carry out your stuff if necessary.

Yeah, real helpful at the UNLOADING side. My favorite thing to do is try to get rid of my cart with 3 people with similar carts behind me, while I have my groceries on the belt and run off to put my cart away and then try to squeeze back in to line.  The alternative is to leave your cart there and let them pile up. The"kids" are not helpful in this situation. 

1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

....because they want huge big carts so you can buy more stuff ??   I'll have to say that's strange...but then here's this, you won't be pushing off down the street with your cart if you can't get through the gauntlet.

Maybe put a couple of posts before the exit doors that are narrower than the carts? Or pay another guy (in addition to the entry door guy and the parking lot guy) to police the carts? Though I notice the small carts go through no problem. Interesting that we saw a Baru employee rescuing a cart back to the store from Central Park.

Edited by Jim and Judi

6 minutes ago, TwoSailors said:

Happy the place is open and a much better alternative to Romero's. I don't care about the carts. It such a non issue.

Exactly. I was a bit disappointed at first that there was no coffee available at the Panaderia to wash down my enchilada with, but it's obvious that with minimal space, sacrifices have to be made and there's just not enough room for a Snack bar.

Spiro told me that they make the checkout lines narrow so that one doesn't have to worry about pushing the cart through. "Just call out to have an employee get your cart" he said. Ha ha ha, next time you hear me yell for help, don't worry, just need my cart moved.

I understand it is also common knowledge that you are supposed to tip your bagger and anyone who pushes your groceries outside and helps load them into your car.  I wonder if this allows the owner to reduce what he pays these young boys (?).  Also, it looks as though one has to back their car out of the lot across the street. 

13 minutes ago, MarieElaine said:

I understand it is also common knowledge that you are supposed to tip your bagger and anyone who pushes your groceries outside and helps load them into your car.  I wonder if this allows the owner to reduce what he pays these young boys (?).  Also, it looks as though one has to back their car out of the lot across the street. 

I do always tip the baggers and, depending on the store, they carry them out or use a different type of cart to take them to my car.

Speaking primarily of my experience at PriceSmart, yes we always tip the guys who take our groceries from the store to the car.

Also, always a grand time when they want to practice their English with me and of course I practice my Spanish with them. This usually turns a couple of minutes of fun and laughter in the parking area.