Upcoming Meeting for Vecinos Vigilantes/Neighborhood Watch

NewsLady

"The Police of Boquete have formed a group to head this project in it's entirety"

If that was the case, the Policia Nacional would be sending out a signed official communication.

This logo is from a Mexican blog.

590136deec011_vecinoblogger.png.873b9e771699f75c2f5769bea10b9632.png

http://denunciauruapanvg.blogspot.com/2017/01/ayudemos-localizarlas.html

What do others think?

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Keith Woolford said:

If that was the case, the Policia Nacional would be sending out a signed official communication.

This logo is from a Mexican blog.

590136deec011_vecinoblogger.png.873b9e771699f75c2f5769bea10b9632.png

http://denunciauruapanvg.blogspot.com/2017/01/ayudemos-localizarlas.html

What do others think?

Don't know about the local event but this is from their website:

http://www.policia.gob.pa/14827-inauguran-programa-de-vecinos-vigilantes-y-orientan-a-la-comunidad-chiricana-.html

It displays the true logo for the program.

jim

1 hour ago, JimAndNena said:

Don't know about the local event but this is from their website:

http://www.policia.gob.pa/14827-inauguran-programa-de-vecinos-vigilantes-y-orientan-a-la-comunidad-chiricana-.html

It displays the true logo for the program.

jim

As I recall, Vecinos Vigilantes was an initiative of neighborhood leaders and was and is neighborhood based. The police joined the effort, at least the publicity effort, but I'm not aware of any role they had in starting it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Suspicious ..of duplication of efforts.

Why? Because we have an existing Vecinos Vigilante program with a Police representative in our neighbourhood as do 158 others in Chiriqui.

Members of the expat community previously established the Alto Al Crimen and RodnyDirect reporting services, as well as an organization to help families of Police. Are those groups supporting this effort?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Bonnie said:

As I recall, Vecinos Vigilantes was an initiative of neighborhood leaders and was and is neighborhood based. The police joined the effort, at least the publicity effort, but I'm not aware of any role they had in starting it.

I am finding links that indicate that the program was a police effort to connect with the public.  The problem that the Policia Nacional have is that the people remember when the police were the National Guard under a dictatorship. The creation of the Policia Nacional was to eliminate marshal law and establish civil law enforcement.  The funding, and thus the training of a military force into a police force, has never been sufficient outside of Panama City.

I remember when Omar Torrijos put stripes on La Guardia Nacional uniform trousers for street patrol in an attempt to convince the USA that he had a separate police force for civilian law enforcement when he was trying to qualify for funding from the US.

1 hour ago, Penny said:

Why are you guys so suspicious? Go to the meeting and find out. I know the lady who helped the police send out this announcement to the foreign community has a good relationship with the local police.

It doesn't feel like the right thing to be doing or supporting.

22 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

Suspicious ..of duplication of efforts.

Why? Because we have an existing Vecinos Vigilante program with a Police representative in our neighbourhood as do 158 others in Chiriqui.

Members of the expat community previously established the Alto Al Crimen and RodnyDirect reporting services, as well as an organization to help families of Police. Are those groups supporting this effort?

Exactly. There are many needs in our community, and many organizations have been established to address them. Duplication of effort dissipates support and participation rather than enhances it. I see this as an ongoing problem. Rather than supporting existing groups, too many people see the need to create their own.

As to having a good relationship with the police, I know of no one who had a better relationship with the police than Marion Clamp.

• Upvote 2