Critical Veterinary Laboratory Information

Yesterday I learned critical information from Manuel Dixon, the owner of Dixon Laboratorio in David: that he is the ONLY accredited veterinarian laboratory in Chiriqui. Before my conversation with Manuel, I thought a blood test is a blood test. Wrong!

Dixon Laboratorio runs expensive quality control tests once a week that labs in veterinary clinics do not. Without regular quality control testing, incorrect results are almost a guarantee. Medications based on incorrect blood test readings will be ineffective and harmful, for example when an animal is given unnecessary antibiotics. Or even deadly--for example, if an animal is given insulin based on an incorrect diagnosis of diabetes. Bad news!

Manuel gave a recent example: A woman had had a blood test of her dog at a veterinary clinic in David, and medication was prescribed and sold to her. When her dog did not improve, she then took a blood sample to Dixon Laboratorio along with the results of the first test. The (correct) results at Dixon Laboratorio were completely different from the tests done at the veterinary clinic. The woman was angry at the veterinary clinic for the expense involved to render an incorrect blood analysis, plus unknowingly giving her dog improper medication.

One veterinary clinic in David repeatedly gives an incorrect diagnosis of ehrlichia (tick fever), thus resulting in harmful and unnecessary medication being given to the dog.

I have no affiliation with Dixon Laboratorio except as a grateful client. Their contact is 777-0481. Manuel is a kind man who speaks perfect English. (His technicians do not.) And the costs are very reasonable. The lab in David is very easy to find. I can give directions.

Dixon Laboratorio also does tests for humans, agriculture, water. They are expanding and will soon include tests for biohazard substances, using positive pressure personnel suits and a segregated air supply room.

Attached is a list of possible tests I've compiled for dogs. I intend to have some extensive tests done for two of mine. I discussed the attached list with Manuel and he gave me the proper vials for the tests I wish to have. At our next spay/neuter clinic (April 23), I am going to practice, practice, practice drawing blood from a dog's vein so I can do it myself. So if any of you (in the Volcan area) need blood tests for your dog, get the correct vials from Manuel (free) and I can (probably) draw the blood for you. No charge, of course. I am happy to help whenever I can.

Dottie - 6517-8752

Blood Tests for Dogs.odt

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, MarieElaine said:

I know local vets in Boquete who use the labs in town that diagnose for both people and animals.  Are these results to be trusted?

I don't know the answer. You could quiz the lab about what quality controls they use regarding testing for animals and how often the run them--and hope they tell the truth. One way to be sure is to take the results and a new blood sample to Dixon Laboratorio to compare results. Extra expense, yes, but Dixon Laboratorio is very reasonable in cost, and if one person in Boquete does that, he/she can share the information with others. Inaccurate blood test results can be devastating. Better safe than sorry.

• Upvote 2

The tests they run at the labs in town are good, at least the one I use.

Blood cell counts and other tests are measured from a blood sample in the same fashion as humans. The lab tech simply reprograms the analysis equipment to replace the 'Human profile' with a 'Canine profile' for the report.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

I don't know the answer. You could quiz the lab about what quality controls they use regarding testing for animals and how often the run them--and hope they tell the truth. One way to be sure is to take the results and a new blood sample to Dixon Laboratorio to compare results. Extra expense, yes, but Dixon Laboratorio is very reasonable in cost, and if one person in Boquete does that, he/she can share the information with others. Inaccurate blood test results can be devastating. Better safe than sorry.

Where is Dixon Laboratorio?

• Upvote 1

In David, going toward Concepcion, turn left at the signal light that would take you to the old Super 99, Romero, Nissan dealer, etc. Go two blocks (the first block is a long one), then turn left. The lab is then in that first block on the right. Right now the sign just says "laboratorio" and it is not in great condition. As I mentioned, they are enlarging, so don't let the looks of the place from the outside give you the wrong impression. When you're in David, I suggest going by and talking with Manuel. If you like, you can print out the list of dog tests I attached previously and discuss them with him. Best to call and make sure he will be there. Sometimes he needs to go to a particular farm/dairy to do testing. I know you will like Manuel very much and will be pleased with his expertise! You can tell him I sent you if you wish. He has been a friend for quite some time.

• Upvote 2

This is valuable information.  Thank you. 

One thing I have learned with regard to pet sickness here..is tick control.  Tick Fever ( Erlichiosis) is serious and can kill your dog.  It's insidious, difficult for the best vets to diagnose and as well treat. Lab tests are very specific to the disease and I would assume, costly.  Not all ticks carry this disease, and I would be interested to know from Dixon Lab how many cases they diagnose as positive for Tick fever ( Erlichiosis) every year here. .  Prevention is essential and from what I read there is no one mode of tick irradiation that is 100%...  All we can do is our best...which we try to do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

I would be interested to know from Dixon Lab how many cases they diagnose as positive for Tick fever ( Erlichiosis) every year here. 

I suggest you go ask Manuel Dixon about this. It's very important to accurately diagnose ehrlichia and treat it, just as a false positive can subject a dog to unnecessary drugs that can also be harmful.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

More commonly here, the blood thinner that ticks secrete when attaching to the animal (to make it easier for them to draw blood), causes anemia.

If left untreated, it will become severe and the dog can die from any infection quickly.

The presence of the Erlichia Canis  leads to hemorrhaging which typically results in the death of the patient.   Yes That is the infectious agent in Tick fever.  Very difficult to diagnose.  Not a great prognosis unless treated early...and sometimes that does no happen as the animal goes into a phase of seeming remission. That is exactly why I would like to know from a reputable vet lab exactly how many definitive cases they diagnose on average per year.  Ticks are only deadly if they carry Erlichia Canis. A neighbor had the death of his dog apparently due to this diagnosis.  I do not know if a definitive diagnosis was made or a presumption based on basic labs and the dog's hemorrhagic symptoms.   That probably means infected ticks reside in our neighborhood. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Dottie Atwater said:

I suggest you go ask Manuel Dixon about this. It's very important to accurately diagnose ehrlichia and treat it, just as a false positive can subject a dog to unnecessary drugs that can also be harmful.

Yes, I agree.  A long course of doxycycline is major for animals and humans alike.  I believe small vet labs will make a  presumptive diagnosis on CBC results ( change in platelet count, anemia)  and symptoms .  To make a definitive diagnosis involves special tests, equipment and knowhow which may be more than you could expect from a small vet clinic. 

For years I had several friends that battled Lyme disease and as well Erlichiosis...both tick borne diseases .  We had many conversations over the years on making the diagnosis and lab/medical ability to do so.  It is not easy ( antibody tests, visual recognition under miscroscopic exam ).  I think to pass judgement on a small vet clinic therefore  would be hasty . Some responsibility rests with the pet owner on how to proceed in seeking care for their sick dog if there is suspicion of Tick borne disease. . That is exactly why I so appreciate your sharing the Dixon lab with us here !

Edited by Brundageba
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Dottie Atwater said:

In David, going toward Concepcion, turn left at the signal light that would take you to the old Super 99, Romero, Nissan dealer, etc. Go two blocks (the first block is a long one), then turn left. The lab is then in that first block on the right. Right now the sign just says "laboratorio" and it is not in great condition. As I mentioned, they are enlarging, so don't let the looks of the place from the outside give you the wrong impression. When you're in David, I suggest going by and talking with Manuel. If you like, you can print out the list of dog tests I attached previously and discuss them with him. Best to call and make sure he will be there. Sometimes he needs to go to a particular farm/dairy to do testing. I know you will like Manuel very much and will be pleased with his expertise! You can tell him I sent you if you wish. He has been a friend for quite some time.

Is this the place, Dottie?

https://goo.gl/maps/bPxVret4K5G2

jim

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Laboratorio Dixon has been an integral part of the "Pet/Vet" listing here on CL since its inception. For the Pet/Vet listing, see http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/2354-pet-care-resources-of-the-chiriqui-province-maggies-list-and-pet-abuse/. Note that the Pet/Vet topic is also permanently listed as the third of three pinned and highlighted topics at the top of CL's home page.

Given the high interest in tick fever and Laboratorio Dixon, we have edited the information for Laboratorio Dixon to include a hotlink to the Google Maps location of that laboratory. Simply click on the above link to go to the Pet/Vet listing, then scroll down to the "Laboratory Services" category; there you will find Laboratorio Dixon as one of the laboratories. The last part of its description now includes a hotlink directly to the Google Maps display for this facility.

As an aside, Marcelyn and I have used this laboratory for various laboratory analysis. Manuel is very good with English, and we have found him always to be very interested in answering our every question. Further, we have had our water samples analyzed several times at Laboratorio Dixon. Contact them in advance of taking samples so that you know proper procedures for the collection, labeling, storage, transportation, etc., of samples. (For instance, water samples need to be refrigerated/chilled and delivered promptly.)

Re the water testing: Manuel will give you the containers and specific written instructions for the procedures. Very professional. Before I discovered Dixon Laboratorio, I asked Aquatek about doing a water analysis. They said just to bring some water in an empty soda bottle, etc. What a joke!  I'm glad I didn't waste time and money to get some bogus "analysis."

• Upvote 1

Interesting.  We had our reverse osmosis system checked.  Used Lidaq lab next to the bakery (just before you go over the Boquete bridge).  They provide sterile containers.  BUT interesting they only test for coliform bacteria and not parasites.  We received a good test result but never were able to have a test done for Giardia  ( water borne parasites) in our water.  They do not do that testing.  For the $20 it cost I wish I would have asked before I had the test done.  All I knew was, that was where people took their water to be tested in Boquete.

• Upvote 1