2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

Roger, I have never had a Panamanian correct my Spanish, even my employees, neighbors, and close friends. I've found Panamanians to be too polite. Perhaps they think I might take offense? Actually, the opposite is true. I can use all the help I can get to improve my Spanish.

We run with different Panamanians.  Or else you speak Spanish perfectly.  I get corrected almost daily!  And yes, I appreciate all the help that I can get.

Edited by Lee
  • Upvote 1

this thread is so central to our decision to live here. We are struggling to learn more Spanish and see it as central to our ability to adapt to a new culture and country. As wannabes, and only visitors to date,  language preparation seems key to us. Thank you for this discussion!

• Upvote 1

I don't think anyone ever stops learning a language.  It seems the more one learns, the more there is to learn.

Two of the most important Spanish phrases to me are:

¿Cómo se dice _____?

¿Como está la familia?

Lots of Spanish people I know will understand quite a bit of English but they are hesitant to speak it. Asking for help and showing an interest in family are a good start.  Probably a third phrase would be ¿Me puedes ayudar? even if you don't speak much Spanish.

My last tip to connecting to the local population would be S L O W  D O W N.  Americans are always in a rush, even when they think they are taking it easy.  When Nena and I visit, it takes me about a day to get adjusted.  Nena, with 40+ years of Americanization takes even longer to get her Panamanian tempo back.  On more than one occasion I have had to remind her to slow down, don't rush.  We don't realize just how fast a pace we have in the U.S.; we want everything now.  Slow down, enjoy life, make new friends.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Lee said:

We run with different Panamanians.  Or else you speak Spanish perfectly.  I get corrected almost daily!  And yes, I appreciate all the help that I can get.

Yes, so do I.  Also sometimes they laugh at me.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Bill Uhlman said:

this thread is so central to our decision to live here. We are struggling to learn more Spanish and see it as central to our ability to adapt to a new culture and country. As wannabes, and only visitors to date,  language preparation seems key to us. Thank you for this discussion!

We can all thank our friend Keith Woolford for starting this worthwhile subject. And yes, knowing Spanish is a major key to the success and enjoyment of living here. I personally appreciate Panamanians. Shy at first, but friendly and helpful once they know you. My Spanish needs a lot of help and I keep working at it. I have fun in stores (especially PriceSmart) where the locals want to practice their English with me and I try using my Spanish with them. These times end with everyone laughing while entertaining each other. Just a happy and good memory spot in the day.

• Upvote 2

On 4/13/2017 at 8:52 AM, JimAndNena said:

I like this version better than the one that showed up in my email notification. Typically trying to appear correct in public while showing true colors privately.  Perhaps this is part of what the locals are talking about?

Regardless, I'll leave the issue with all y'all.  It will not affect my visits. jim

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png
spacer.png Chiriqui.Life: Your Information Portal spacer.png
spacer.png
Hi JimAndNena,
Keith Woolford quoted one of your posts in a topic.

58dbc6063b01d_myahead.thumb.jpg.126bedb180868f00aa5014efc093d9fc.jpg  
Posted in Community Integration
17 minutes ago, JimAndNena said:

Keith has always had the opinion that a "few expats" can't possibly affect Boquete.

bull****

Go to this Post

— Chiriqui.Life: Your Information Portal
spacer.png
spacer.png Prefer to stop receiving these emails? Adjust your notification preferences.
spacer.png Click here to view our privacy policy spacer.png
spacer.png Chiriqui.Life: Your Information Portal, Narva mnt 5, Tallinn, 10117 spacer.png

When and where has Keith ever said that that "a 'few expats' can't possibly affect Boquete"? As I understand it, Keith reacted quickly to what he perceived to be a false accusation and then reconsidered his language and amended the post. Let it be.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

When and where has Keith ever said that that "a 'few expats' can't possibly affect Boquete"? As I understand it, Keith reacted quickly to what he perceived to be a false accusation and then reconsidered his language and amended the post. Let it be.

I agree with Bonnie and interpreted Keith's actions as she did. 

Keith has provided many items of helpful information here on CL and deserves our thanks IMO.

I'm not wanting to take anyone to task, but, please.....let's drop this and move on. More important items in life for us to deal with.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Bonnie said:

The discussions took place on ning years ago. Costa Rica was once a lauded retirement location. The prices and crime increased to the point that many continued south and east. The cycle repeats but perhaps that is just coincidence. There are several studies about residencial tourism effects, the common thread is the failure of expats to integrate into the culture.

I am certain that if Keith decides that I need to leave the forum that he will convince the administration to remove me. It has happened before. Regardless, I detest any form of crude language. Moving on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 4/13/2017 at 11:39 AM, Moderator_02 said:

Roger,

Thank you very much for your postings here on CL. We appreciate them all, and know that our community is better by seeing Panama through the eyes of a Panamanian, and especially one who writes so well and is not bashful with the truth.

This particular topic of cultural integration is especially important to Marcelyn and me. We shared that importance in prior postings in this topic for all to see, as well as with you in person when we first met you at the Machu Picchu Restaurant there in Panama City.

We are honored to call you a friend.

Bud & Marcelyn

Thanks.  I do really appreciate your kind words.  I am also so honored to have you as friends too.   

Even that I dont know personally all of the members of CL and some old members of BN I feel them like old friends too:  Keith, Fran, Penny, Judy S, Bonnie, Jim & Nena... and many others that I cant list all of them.   

I do really feel honored by exchanging information, ideas and words about Panama and its people with you all.

Thanks again,

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Bonnie said:

Roger, I have never had a Panamanian correct my Spanish, even my employees, neighbors, and close friends. I've found Panamanians to be too polite. Perhaps they think I might take offense? Actually, the opposite is true. I can use all the help I can get to improve my Spanish.

Bonnie

It could be possible that they did not try to correct you because they fear you could feel offended if they do it.   

• Upvote 1

I find the number of Panamanians who assist in my Spanish skills to be increasing. Just two days ago at our primary bank, the manager corrected my Spanish, and with a wink in her eye. I acknowledged (in Spanish) her assistance and thanked her. [Gracias para ayudarme seems to work well in this situation.] It seems to be more of an attitude on my part that tells them that it is not only okay but actually desired that they help. Seems to work for me.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

Great thread here.

Just for fun...how about if CL posted a new espanol sentence every morning?

apenas para la diversion y la educacion una nueva frase en espanol por las mananas.

Good idea!

Maybe start with a joke of the day:

Two spanish fish are chatting.

One of them asks 'qué hace tu padre?'

and the other replies 'nada'.

• Administrators
22 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

Great thread here.

Just for fun...how about if CL posted a new espanol sentence every morning?

apenas para la diversion y la educacion una nueva frase en espanol por las mananas.

A good idea. Now to figure out how to implement using our software. Give us a bit of time to research some options.