That was a BIG earthquake!!!!!!!

Holy ****! I'm still shaking!

That was the biggest quake I have felt here in 13 years.  Anybody finds out where it was, please post.  I have to clean up all the broken glass and the books off the floor.

That was a shallow quake and as it was 19 km nne oof cerro punta.  I wonder is old baru waking up :-).  It was much stronger here in Caldera than the 6.? We had a few years ago.  Stuff fell off the shelves.

Edited by Chris McCall
Corrections

The IGC at the University of Panama has now reported this information.  

Much shallower at 2 kms and closer to Boquete which might account for the strength of the shock that was felt.

Personally, I tend to have more faith in these reports because they are based on the equipment mounted on top of Volcan Baru.

Region=Región fronteriza de Panamá-Costa Rica
Magnitud=5.2
Latitud=8.884
Longitud=-82.517
Tiempo Origen=2017-04-02 23:54:31
Profundidad=2
Agencia=UPA

image.thumb.jpg.86b666b4a459eb6571d33bd5c0d7d09c.jpg

Edited by Keith Woolford

SINAPROC reported that there were at least 33 aftershocks. I have seen reports of small landslides and broken water pipes around town, as well as merchandise off the shelves in a few stores.

Schools will probably be closed today so that physical inspections can be carried out by MEDUCA.

The quake was felt in 4 provinces.

ad.jpg.14dd76ccd0b941bea13a4617e4bfe088.jpg

http://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/Sinaproc-sismo-Chiriqui-danos-importantes_0_4726027355.html

Edited by Keith Woolford

Worst quake I've felt in the 14 years I've been here. Several of us were actually drinking the Hacienda Esmeralda Geisha Coffee (the most expensive in the world) when it hit and this wonderful coffee sloshed all over the tablecloth. What a waste. Here's another photo of the grocery store in Alto Boquete:

tienda.jpg.4eb02e40946b358db155f01bcf2977d1.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

5.8 quake in Chiriqui hits 11 homes

richter-620x264.jpg

AN EARTHQUAKE with  a magnitude of  5.8 on the Richter scale  struck Chiriquí province on Sunday afternoon, April 2, destroying two homes and damaging at least 11 in Cerro Punta.

quake-300x169.jpg

Sinaproc examines affected homes

“The origin of the earthquake at 5:54 pm   was a local fault on the border with Costa Rica,” said a note  on the  Ministry of Government Twitter account.

According to the National Civil Protection Service, Sinaproc, the telluric movement was also felt in the provinces of Veraguas, Bocas del Toro and Coclé.

The United States Geological Survey, reported that the quake, had  an epicenter 18 kilometers northeast of Cerro Punta, Chiriquí, at a depth of 10 kilometers.

Costa Rican authorities have not reported damage or people affected by the quake.

Sinaproc was continuing evaluations on Monday.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/5-8-quake-chiriqui-hits-11-homes

16 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

I see that last night's quake has been reevaluated and is now a 5.8. That's more like what I felt.

That info from Newsroom Panama is inaccurate Bonnie, as is much of the stuff they send out.

It was an M 5.2 event but only 2 kms deep causing it to feel very strong. Also, the epicenter was not at Cerro Punta, that was only used as a reference point. It appears to have been just as close to Los Naranjos.

Region=Región fronteriza de Panamá-Costa Rica
Magnitud=5.2
Latitud=8.884
Longitud=-82.517
Tiempo Origen=2017-04-02 23:54:31
Profundidad=2
Agencia=UPA

image.thumb.jpg.86b666b4a459eb6571d33bd5c0d7d09c.jpg

Edited by Keith Woolford

If its depth was 2 km rather than 10 km, and much closer to us than originally reported, that explains a lot. What I find interesting is that I've heard very little about damage north of town, closest to the quake, but a lot about damage south of El Bajo.

• Upvote 1