Private Safe Deposit Box Company in David

One of our Alto al Crimen members has reported an attempted burglary. AAC does not routinely report burglaries unless there is some kind of lesson that can be learned. In every community in most countries there are burglaries. Unless there is a pattern or surge in a specific neighborhood, reporting various random burglaries is more in the nature of gossip than serving to prevent crime.

This case, however, is interesting in that the would-be burglars were attempting to operate through open windows with bars to pull items of furniture near the window to be able to steal items that could be removed through the bars.

Be aware of the possibility of this kind of theft at your property. Maybe you should contact ARF and get a dog.

If you rented a safe deposit box from NaXXXXXXXXXXXX in the shopping center with XXXXXXXXXXX and the XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, be advised that the name has been changed and apparently there are now new owners and managers. There were rumors of tampering with boxes, so you may want to verify the contents of your box. We have no official confirmation from authorities and are not alleging criminal activity. This is one of those disclaimers like telling you to consult with your doctor before exercising.

Pursuant to the AAC notice yesterday, a local resident went to David today to check out the contents of his box. He discovered that a significant amount of money was missing. He immediately removed the remainder of the contents of his box and closed his account. An investigation is pending.

If you store property in one of the boxes at the business known (or perhaps formerly known) as XXXXXXXXXXXX, it would be a good idea to check the contents.

I understand that there are continuously running security cameras that record activity in the premises, so it may be possible to review all those activities and identify the source of the problem.

• 3 months later...

I will not name the company that offers 'secure' private safe deposit boxes as I would not want any legal proceedings to be prejudiced however it is in David at the Chiriqui Center mall, but here is my story and what seems to be happening.

On February 20th, 2017, I went to the establishment to access my private safe deposit box, the secretary told me that it was not possible because only one person had access to the vault and that person would not be in the office that day. I explained that I was leaving for the USA on a morning flight the following day and would not be able to return. She called the fellow who said it would not be possible to access the box until noon the following day. Needless to say, that did not work for me.

I returned from the USA and went to the establishment again, this time I was told they were doing maintenance on the vault and I would have to return the following day and the vault would be available after 9:00 am sharp, I returned the following day; had to wait until 9:40 but was able to access the box. I removed all of the contents and took them to a secure location and discovered that over $6,000.00 cash was missing, I also noted that the contents of the box were not as I had left them, a roll of bills had been pushed to the far end of the box, had my wife not noticed, I may have missed that.

I went to Ciudad Judicial and filed a denuncia against the company that has the private safe deposit box service.

While I was filing the denuncia, I looked at the two keys provided when I signed up and I compared them to a key I have from a box in the USA. They key from the USA is a greenish brown color and has the name of the box manufacturer stamped onto the head of the key. The ones from the private box are silver with no markings. So it appears as they made copies of all of the keys and kept the originals and gave copies to the box subscribers.

I am not alone, the people that went into their box after me discovered gold missing, a person at Ciudad Judicial told me there were 3 other denuncias filed and just today I heard that someone is missing a Rolex watch that was in their private 'Secure' box.

I have no delusions that I will somehow get my money back and am writing this as a warning for anyone that is thinking about renting a box at this place and to anyone that has a box to go and check it; if of course you can access it, I went by this afternoon and discovered that they are closed for 'repairs to the time clock on the vault', or perhaps they are closed so they can get as much as possible before the jig is up.

Regards

Dave

• Upvote 2

Thanks for this info, Dave. I know at least one other person who is undergoing the same experience. I hope all who are affected will file denuncias in the hope that the government, never eager to prosecute white collar crime, will take action against these unscrupulous people.

• Moderators

Moderator comment: In order to consolidate several different postings on the same subject, those postings have now been merged together into this topic, and relocated to the Banking, Currency, and Safety Deposit Box forum.

P.S., some people refer to this service as "safe deposit box" and some as "safety deposit box". Same service, just different terminology. Use the name that works best for you.

...and then there is your own private safe purchased and installed.  Then you are robbed.  Somehow word got out.  Or... you have a maid and she tells her cousin that the gringos have a large safe in their house...and you get robbed.  Maid is honest...cousin not so much.  Consider that.  Before we left to retire here we gave  ALL our expensive jewelry to relatives along with anything of value.  We gave them things we would have left to them after we die....a bit early.    Here in Panama we have nothing of any value in our house...nor in the bank.  zip.

Edited by Brundageba
  • Upvote 1

Today I received an email followed by a phone call from another victim of the private safe deposit box caper.

All of the contents of that box were removed, looks like they on a spree

File your denuncia NOW at Ciudad Judicial, they are open 24/7

/d

Well that's very creative thieving. They set up a business advertised as private safe deposit boxes and invite people to put their valuables there.  When the trusting people do that, they steal the deposits.  Have the victims bring their stuff to you instead of having to break into houses and rob them.  I just can't figure out why anybody would be that trusting to hand over their valuables to a company they know nothing about.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know a little about the recent developments at the private safe deposit box company in David. After attempting since Christmas to gain entry to her box (always one excuse or another) my friend (with the help of her 3rd lawyer, the prosecuting attorney, a locksmith, and the entire David forensics team) was finally allowed access into the box which she had paid for. It was not completely empty. However there was some very valuable jewelry missing from the box. The estimated value of the missing jewelry is about $40,000. My friend spent thousands of dollars on lawyers, translators, locksmiths, etc just to be able to gain access to her box. The jewelry is long gone to a Costa Rica pawn shop and, of course, nobody can prove she actually put it in the box. She took photos of all the jewelry she put in the box but that isn't proof that she actually put it in or that she didn't take it out later.

Now the company is suing her for slander because she told a few friends about her troubles and that caused them to lose business. The company has also threatened to sue News.Boquete (the local email distribution community service) for sending out warnings about them from Alto al Crimen.

Another resident of Bocas del Toro lost about $80,000 cash out of his box. And, as Dave has posted here, he lost $6000 cash.

oNE W

At last count there were 9 denuncias pending against this company. Anybody who hasn't removed their stuff and closed their account is a fool.

$80,000!!!  

I don't understand why someone would put hard earned cash in a safe deposit box anywhere. It's the same as putting it under your mattress at home or in a false wall. Very foolish not to invest the money and at least beat inflation loss. Panama banks have a great CD rates. Granted they are not insured so if that is a concern consult with a financial advisor.

Next time give me the $80,000! I will at least guarantee you a return of .25 %! 9_9

10 hours ago, Nancy Drew said:

Now the company is suing her for slander because she told a few friends about her troubles and that caused them to lose business. The company has also threatened to sue News.Boquete (the local email distribution community service) for sending out warnings about them from Alto al Crimen.

Does anybody know if the dreaded "suing for slander" in Panama is anything more than just intimidation by business scoundrels?  My impression of the Panama legal system is that it takes forever in all civil matters.  I don't think the lawyers or judges have any incentive to reach a final judgment. 

I'm guessing that everyone dies of old age before it even comes to trial.  Does anyone know differently?

Edited by Uncle Doug

It is VERY difficult to be a plaintiff and much easier to be a defendant, nonsense motions will tie up the plaintiff forever.

It is clearly a bullying tactic, The only reason not to name these thieves is that it could prejudice their 'fair' trial.

I have no issue telling everyone I know to get their stuff out of that place and tell as many people that they know that this is just a robbery deposit box establishment, by the time any criminal charges stick, the money and the perps will be long gone.

$200 per year vs emptying the boxes is a no brainer for someone of their ilk.

/d