Immigration Reform Drop by Drop; Six Changes in March

In less than a month, the government has announced and implemented immigration reforms, most of them through the issuance of decrees that modify the National Migration Service (NMS).

Following the enactment in early January of Decree 590 of 2016, which reduced to three months the stay of tourists in Panama of nationals of countries with which there are no agreements on travelers, the Executive has and decided on a series of amendments to the decree of migration.

This is the compendium of what has announced that it will change and what change in March in immigration matters.

The 6 March, following the conflict in Paso Canoas by aliens who were denied entry, the SNM announced that it would not allow those who leave the country only to seal your passport (i.e., they are the minimum time out) re-enter the country. Read: Migration will not allow the re-entry of foreigners who leave to seal passport Migración no permitirá el reingreso de extranjeros que salgan a sellar pasaporte

On 8 March, the Director of Migration, Javier Carrillo, said in TVN News that there would be changes to the rule of migration to regulate the entry of aliens. Read: Migration is studying new regulations for the entry of foreigners to Panama Migración estudia nuevas regulaciones para el ingreso de extranjeros a Panamá

On 17 March, the SNM warns that foreigners who have tourist visas must leave the country at the fifth month of your stay, and stay out a month to be readmitted in Panama. Read: Authorities adopt new restrictions on immigration in Panama Autoridades adoptan nuevas restricciones migratorias en Panamá

On 20 March, the Ministry of Labor proposes to the General amendments to the Labor Code to increase the penalties for companies that hire immigrants without permission to work. The first time will be $500, the second time $1.000 and the third of $10 thousand. Read: project that will fine for hiring of foreigners without work permits. Presentan proyecto que multará por contratación de extranjeros sin permiso laboral

the 24 of March the Ministry of Security (Minseg) issued the decree 145, which establishes a system to regularize migrant workers in the country. Those who wish to invoke the process must meet four requirements: being an adult, have a year or more of stay in the country, do not have immigration process in execution, and submitted to the National Migration Service. Read: establish requirements for foreigners wishing to avail themselves of the regularization of status  Establecen requisitos para aquellos extranjeros que deseen acogerse a la regularización migratoria

he 24 of March, the Minseg also issued the decree 147, which regulates the granting of residences through the figure of investment in real property: who you want to apply to it and has a property of at least $300 thousand under corporation, must have their shares and in its own name or their dependents. We will not accept bearer shares. Read: The new rules for issuing permits to foreigners who come to invest in Panama  Las nuevas reglas para otorgar permisos a extranjeros que vienen a invertir en Panamá

http://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/decretos-anuncios-migracion-Panama-extranjeros-noticias_0_4719278059.html

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

President Varela is expected to announce more changes to immigration measures this  evening at 7:00 p.m. in regards to the continuing influx of Venezuelans to Panama.

President Varela announced last night that, as of October 1st,  citizens of Venezuela will require a visa to enter Panama.

The government of Venezuela announced they will reciprocate with equal measures.

http://static1.telemetro.com/internacionales/Venezuela-obrara-reciprocidad-medida-Panama_0_1056195443.html

http://static1.telemetro.com/nacionales/Critican-contradictoria-exigencia-panamena-venezolanos_0_1056195438.html

Edited by Keith Woolford

Since this appears to be addressing the crux of the problem, I wonder if the Panamanian government will let up on retirees. I wish they would do something formal. I know any number of people stressed and distressed by the strict enforcement of immigration regulations.

The CNA, or National College of Abogados, is arguing that the Visa requirement for Venezuelans to enter Panama doesn't go far enough and should be extended to all nationalities. 

Now there's a Tourism killer.

https://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/Abogados-recomiendan-medidas-migratorias-generales_0_4832516710.html

Edited by Keith Woolford

All the more reason to obtain your Jubilado visa and E Cedula and as well keep abreast of changes in the laws.   I know of retirees living outside of Chiriqui in rather isolated locations that do not keep abreast of changes and trends in the laws here.    Property owners who have never obtained their permanent retirement visa and are currently living outside of Panama have to keep abreast of changes that can severely affect them. .   If you own property here , issues of immigration law as well as probate and property transfer are essential in order to avoid a huge headache.  A neighbor has recently lost his wife and has a home in both of their names here .  I do not believe he has a permanent visa.  He has recently learned of Panama's Probate laws.  Major headaches.

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

President Varela announced last night that, as of October 1st,  citizens of Venezuela will require a visa to enter Panama.

The government of Venezuela announced they will reciprocate with equal measures.

http://static1.telemetro.com/internacionales/Venezuela-obrara-reciprocidad-medida-Panama_0_1056195443.html

http://static1.telemetro.com/nacionales/Critican-contradictoria-exigencia-panamena-venezolanos_0_1056195438.html

Venezuela will reciprocate?  Who would want to go there right now?  I suspect they can reciprocate all they want, and it won't matter.

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

Since this appears to be addressing the crux of the problem, I wonder if the Panamanian government will let up on retirees. I wish they would do something formal. I know any number of people stressed and distressed by the strict enforcement of immigration regulations.

We can only pray!  

1 hour ago, Brundageba said:

All the more reason to obtain your Jubilado visa and E Cedula and as well keep abreast of changes in the laws.   I know of retirees living outside of Chiriqui in rather isolated locations that do not keep abreast of changes and trends in the laws here.    Property owners who have never obtained their permanent retirement visa and are currently living outside of Panama have to keep abreast of changes that can severely affect them. .   If you own property here , issues of immigration law as well as probate and property transfer are essential in order to avoid a huge headache.  A neighbor has recently lost his wife and has a home in both of their names here .  I do not believe he has a permanent visa.  He has recently learned of Panama's Probate laws.  Major headaches.

Good points, Alison.

As Keith posted earlier, immigration reform is happening "drop by drop" and I think becoming more severe with strict enforcement. Best we remain alert and do our best at staying current on Panama's new rules/laws.

• Moderators

Panama moves to stem Venezuelan flood

varela-1-495x264.jpg

FROM OCT. 1,   Venezuelans traveling to Panama will need a Visa as the country moves to stem the flood of refugees said to be imperiling security and  the economy.

The announcement came from President Juan Carlos Varela on Tuesday August 22 .

In a message to the Nation,  he said that  the rupture of the democratic order in Venezuela “puts at risk the security, economy and sources of employment of Panamanians” and the decision was taken after “a deep analysis.”

He said that the measure will remain “until democratic order and the Venezuelan constitution are restored.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the National Migration Service, will have 30 days to coordinate the new rules.

Varela said that the social, economic and political crisis has caused the arrival in Panama of more than 60,000 Venezuelan citizens in the last six years.

“Panama has received them and has given them the opportunities to legally join our country,” he claimed.

The president said that the situation in Venezuela “has worsened due to the decision of the Constituent Assembly to dissolve the Venezuelan National Assembly, disrespecting democratic principles, social peace and acting against the voice of the people.The announcement came less than a week after Varela had a closed-door meeting with US Vice-president  Mike Price and hints by President Trump of military action, which was condemned by the Venezuelan government, and the opposition.

Venezuela’s President Maduro has called on Pope Francis to  intervene.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/panama-moves-stem-venezuelan-flood

1 hour ago, Marcelyn said:

Good points, Alison.

As Keith posted earlier, immigration reform is happening "drop by drop" and I think becoming more severe with strict enforcement. Best we remain alert and do our best at staying current on Panama's new rules/laws.

Yes....and as well it is no doubt slowing down the influx of retirees and as well doing a number on the housing market here.   This is not a good sign for those who wish to sell their homes and get out of it what they put into it.  For us...it tells us not to put any more $$ into our home here than we have to.

Alison

• Moderators

Panama moves to stem Venezuelan flood

varela-1-495x264.jpg

FROM OCT. 1,   Venezuelans traveling to Panama will need a Visa as the country moves to stem the flood of refugees said to be imperiling security and  the economy.

The announcement came from President Juan Carlos Varela on Tuesday August 22 .

In a message to the Nation,  he said that  the rupture of the democratic order in Venezuela “puts at risk the security, economy and sources of employment of Panamanians” and the decision was taken after “a deep analysis.”

He said that the measure will remain “until democratic order and the Venezuelan constitution are restored.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the National Migration Service, will have 30 days to coordinate the new rules.

Varela said that the social, economic and political crisis has caused the arrival in Panama of more than 60,000 Venezuelan citizens in the last six years.

“Panama has received them and has given them the opportunities to legally join our country,” he claimed.

The president said that the situation in Venezuela “has worsened due to the decision of the Constituent Assembly to dissolve the Venezuelan National Assembly, disrespecting democratic principles, social peace and acting against the voice of the people.The announcement came less than a week after Varela had a closed-door meeting with US Vice-president  Mike Price and hints by President Trump of military action, which was condemned by the Venezuelan government, and the opposition.

Venezuela’s President Maduro has called on Pope Francis to  intervene.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/panama-moves-stem-venezuelan-flood

On 23 de agosto de 2017 at 7:14 AM, Keith Woolford said:

In a speech yesterday, President Varela stated that approximately 2,000 Venezuelans are arriving to Panama every week.

I agree in part Judy.  Once here they should be processed for possible integration into Panama especially those who have specific skills and education.  Those with serious crime issues should be sent back.  If they are here to try and pass through to another country, they should be turned back as Costa Rica is not as friendly as Panama is with this issue and the U.S. certainly is not going to take them considering the current administration.

On 8/23/2017 at 9:22 AM, JudyS said:

Venezuela will reciprocate?  Who would want to go there right now?  I suspect they can reciprocate all they want, and it won't matter.

Judy

You are right.  There is not tourism in Venezuela.  There is not business relations with Venezuela.  They cant pay you in US dollars and/or Euros.  Venezuela is extremelly insecure and dangerous.

So people in Panama didnt care about any kind of reciprocation

On 8/23/2017 at 2:36 PM, Bonnie said:

The lawyers are not at all likely to prevail, in my view. Panama certainly is capable of doing some stupid things, but they're not likely to deal a near-death blow to tourism.

Bonnie

Nobody and specially government officers wont shoot on their foot.

I know and am aware that politics are morons but I am so sure they wont be that stupid.

11 hours ago, JudyS said:

Considering the conditions they are escaping from, they should be treated as refugees and helped. 

JudyS

Panama is a little country in terms of territory and population.  We are not more than 4 millions people.

In Panama, according to government statistics there are around 70K of venezuelans living in Panama and only 25K are legal.  I think that Panama has cooperated very well to accept them as refugees even that some of them did not qualify for this status.  There is not enough room for so many people.  Panama has not room for more than 1 millions of venezuelans that want to fly away from their country.  Not all of them are professionals of trades needed in Panama.  Most of them are normal people with the same skills of people of the country.

Until something drastic changes in Venezuela,  this will be an ongoing problem.  It's is a very serious situation for the country and very difficult to deal with.  Those that have some sort of occupation a/o education probably enter via the airport.  Immigration comes into play right away.   The others ( the potential troublemakers  ) probably sneak in around the edges by land and sea.  These no doubt drift into the woodwork and like carpenter ants will destroy in order to survive.  Crime. All the way around, it costs this country big time.