Marcelyn and I were headed to The Dog Spot for Anouk's grooming appointment this morning (about 9:30am), when we were blocked by a downed tree and a power pole on the opposite side of the roadway that was about to come down. It was a HUGE tree. Location of the problem is about 1/2 kilometer north of Café Ruiz. Workers were just arriving and beginning to place warning cones, etc. We had to turn around, and go around the valley in order to get into town, and then faced several streets there that were closed for construction of the water works project. We eventually got Anouk to Roberto at The Dog Spot, but a bit late for our appointment. He was understanding of the situation.

When we did finally get back home we discovered that our entire area is without electricity. I started up the generator (again, harrumph!). I suspect this is going to be a long service restoration job.

Here is the only picture that I was able to take of the scene.

58d2b64016e78_2017-03-2209_41_56.thumb.jpg.e380ba5444c85eadd953f66391a860f6.jpg

• Upvote 1

I had exactly the same experience this morning, Bud, but in reverse. I was taking Finny to The Dog Spot and got caught up in closed streets downtown. So coming back home I decided to avoid the cross streets downtown and take the Alto Lino loop only to be stopped just beyond Cafe Ruiz for downed lines. Electricity has been sporadic since then.

Update as of 3:45PM today. Electrical service was restored approximately 2.30PM this afternoon. We then headed to Alto Boquete to pick up Anouk from The Dog Spot (Roberto Rios). We noticed on that outbound leg that the broken power pole had been replaced with what we believe is a concrete pole. That was really quick work to our way of thinking.

So Keith's concern was addressed -- there was no electrical service during this period of service restoration. About six hours of outage. And although we have no pictures of the new power pole, what we saw suggested that the high physical tension issue was resolved on the high electrical tension lines.

And then on the return home leg, I was able to take several more pictures. From the pictures you can see that these were large and heavy limbs and trunk sections. The residue is on the roadway, not on dirt alongside the roadway.

Just a bit curious as to what caused the tree to come down???

2017-03-22 15.31.16.jpg

2017-03-22 15.31.17.jpg

2017-03-22 15.31.18.jpg

2017-03-22 15.31.18-1.jpg