20 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Declaration now required if leaving Panama with $10k.+. This is a new rule, seems similar to the U.S. declaration.

http://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/Declaracion-Jurada-Viajero-aplicara-salida_0_4715528461.html

I was boarding a flight in Houston, going to Panama.  There was an agent stationed right at the airline door asking everybody if they had more than $10,000 on them.  The guy behind me muttered under his breath, "If I had $10,000 I'd be flying first class."

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Roger B said:

It is the same rule that is now being used in every airport I travel.  In the US or in any country of Central America and South America.   

Exactly correct.  And it does not have to be just cash.  And it is a cumulative amount of everyone traveling together.  If you are arriving in the USA from Panama:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/kw/10000 dollars/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5MDE5MDAyNS9zaWQvQmxuUF9hZW4%3D

36 minutes ago, JimAndNena said:

Exactly correct.  And it does not have to be just cash.  And it is a cumulative amount of everyone traveling together.  If you are arriving in the USA from Panama:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/kw/10000 dollars/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ5MDE5MDAyNS9zaWQvQmxuUF9hZW4%3D

I do believe that the $10,000 limit includes bank notes, bearer stocks, bonds, precious metals, diamonds, etc.

36 minutes ago, JimAndNena said:

A very important paragraph in the above citation reads (the highlighting of text is of my doing):

Please be aware, if persons/family members traveling together have $10,000 or more, they cannot divide the currency between each other to avoid declaring the currency.

Don't be caught by surprise.

1 hour ago, MarieElaine said:

What do they do if you do have $10k?  

I suspect there is no hard and fast rule on what actions the authorities are allowed to take or do actually take. To my way of thinking it would depend on where you are, the "mood" of the officials, how you present yourself, possibly how much money you actually do have, and maybe other factors.

Not trying to frighten anyone here, but Marcelyn and I were in a Central American country returning to Panama on a COPA flight, and you would not believe the hassle a lady traveler was going through. All of the "action" was not at the normal security screening station, but rather at a boarding gate inspection station. At one point she had five armed officers surrounding her, and each of the five was counting every currency bill that she had in her purse and her carry-on luggage. It looked like a Gestapo field day. The process was a bit more than 30 minutes, which had to be frightening minutes for her and her children (no husband). She eventually was allowed to board the plane, and we could only hope that she had all of her money.

One thing the two of us talked about on that return flight, assuming the officials had seized some of her money, was whether said funds would go into pockets of the officers, or into government coffers, or both. Would she be able to reclaim seized funds at a later date?  Who knows for sure other than her? But we suspect not.

2 hours ago, Bud said:

I suspect there is no hard and fast rule on what actions the authorities are allowed to take or do actually take. To my way of thinking it would depend on where you are, the "mood" of the officials, how you present yourself, possibly how much money you actually do have, and maybe other factors.

Not trying to frighten anyone here, but Marcelyn and I were in a Central American country returning to Panama on a COPA flight, and you would not believe the hassle a lady traveler was going through. All of the "action" was not at the normal security screening station, but rather at a boarding gate inspection station. At one point she had five armed officers surrounding her, and each of the five were counting every currency bill that she had in her purse and her carry-on luggage. It looked like a Gestapo field day. The process was a bit more than 30 minutes, which had to be frightening minutes for her and her children (no husband). She eventually was allowed to board the plane, and we could only hope that she had all of her money.

One thing the two of us talked about on that return flight, assuming the officials had seized some of her money, was whether said funds would go into pockets of the officers, or into government coffers, or both. Would she be able to reclaim seized funds at a later date?  Who knows for sure other than her? But we suspect not.

I experienced a similar situation.  I brought about $9,800 US on several trips to Panama while getting settled in Boquete, money for bank accounts, attorney's fees, rental deposit, shipping costs, etc.  I had always used a loop belt wallet which I would simply place in one of the plastic containers on the conveyor belt for xray but on one trip I forgot my loop belt wallet and had the $9,800 in a pocket on my cargo shorts.  When unloading my pockets at the screening area I attempted to place the money (loose $100 bills) in a plastic container along side my wallet and a security guard approached me and told me to walk through the screening machine with the money in hand.  After walking through I was whisked away and treated like a criminal!  These people acted as though they never saw that kind of money which I found hard to believe.  They asked me where I got it and what I'm doing with it and I responded that I'm using the money for vacation and retirement in Panama.  They weren't having it.  I got stripped searched and they went through my carry on bags, a garment bag and a computer backpack, as if I was Pablo Escobar!  They seemed furious that they found nothing.  They continued to retain me and I'm thinking I'm going to miss my flight.  I made them aware that in one bag I had a copy of my FBI report for immigration purposes for them to review if they'd like.  They then stripped searched me a second time.  I'm thinking I'm going to miss my flight so I decided to name drop and asked them to access my cell phone and check for two names of people who can vouch for me.  One my neighbor of 20 years who is an FBI agent whose wife happens to be a sitting district court judge and two a friend in the US State Department who has diplomatic immunity.  They verified the name of my friend in the FBI and then they scattered and let me go.  I believe they were really trying to get me to miss my flight due to their failed profiling exercise.  That's the problem with giving uneducated people earning minimum wage such power.  Read the book "TSA: Thousands Standing Around."

Jeeze...that is horrible. What the heck is wrong with these people? It is out of control. Anyone think US of A is a free country better think again when they want to go on an international flight. Was that a recent experience and what airport were you flying out of?

In Panama, according to the law, they should count the money.  They will fill some documents stating the amount of money and the name of the owner with ID information and so on.  They will deposit the money in a goverment account.   They give you the chance to prove the source of that money.   If you satisfactorily prove that this money is product of your savings, a sale of any property or money you won at the Miami Lotto they will return it back to you.   

Remember that all this measures are asked by the DEA and the US Government to control money laundering from drugs business or terrorism.  All countries should have this report and present them to the US authorities when requested.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

Jeeze...that is horrible. What the heck is wrong with these people? It is out of control. Anyone think US of A is a free country better think again when they want to go on an international flight. Was that a recent experience and what airport were you flying out of?

USA does the same thing

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnF13 said:

And yet, crooked politicians move millions around with complete impunity.

That is correct.  We wanted to get rid of them but they are like cockroaches.... They appear suddenly from every crack available.  Remember that the laws are made to protect criminals not decent people.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MarieElaine said:

I am astounded by these stories!!!!!  How horrible.  Just reinforces my desire to leave.

Hmm.. this happened in Miami.

21 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

... After walking through I was whisked away and treated like a criminal!  These people acted as though they never saw that kind of money which I found hard to believe.  They asked me where I got it and what I'm doing with it and I responded that I'm using the money for vacation and retirement in Panama.  They weren't having it.  I got stripped searched and they went through my carry on bags, a garment bag and a computer backpack, as if I was Pablo Escobar!  They seemed furious that they found nothing.  They continued to retain me and I'm thinking I'm going to miss my flight.  I made them aware that in one bag I had a copy of my FBI report for immigration purposes for them to review if they'd like.  They then stripped searched me a second time. ...

Edited by Admin_01
converted quoted text to cited text to provide attribution as to source

Thanks Keith.  Another American friend of mine was also detained in Miami, missed 3 connecting flights, was stripped searched all because a dog sniffed something in his bag.  It was leather and he bought it used.  Moral is, if you buy a used suitcase, clean it out well as you never know what's been in it.

• Moderators

Following article comes from The Visitor / El Visitante issue dated 23-29 March 2017.

Here is the text of this article:

Nothing to declare

Travelers leaving Panama will have to declare to the Customs authorities merchandise, securities or money for more than $10,000 from March 27 a measure that was previously only met by people entering the country. The so-called Departure Traveler Affidavit is part of the regulations demanded of Panama by the International Financial Action Task Force (Gafi) to fight against the laundering and financing of terrorism, according to the National Customs Authority.

Nothing to Declare.png

On 3/23/2017 at 10:45 AM, Keith Woolford said:

Hmm.. this happened in Miami.

I pay extra to avoid Miami. They held my wife there for 10 hours in 2006 on our return trip from Brazil. Had to get Lindsey Grahm to spring her...... and an apology.....JaJaJaJa