• Moderators

Moderator comment: the following news article was NOT posted when it first came out. The power outage was only in the PC and Colon areas, and although a major outage, it just seemed not that important to Chiriqui. However, the impact of that outage and the subsequent actions about correcting the situation are making this a more important story. You may recall times in the summer of 2016 (and prior years) when reduced use of air conditioning and/or enforced brownouts were implemented in Chiriqui. Thus, we are back-tracking a bit on news articles to provide the complete story.

Power outage closed clinics next day

CLINICS-620x264.jpg

TWO  Social Security Fund (CSS) polyclinics were closed on Saturday  March 18 following the power outage that plunged Panama and Colon into darkness the night before.

Care services were  suspended at Manuel María Valdés, in San Miguelito, and Alejandro De la Guardia  in Bethania.

The emergency room of the Bethania polyclinic will be closed until Sunday, March 19 at 7:00 a.m.

The Ministry of Health (Minsa) reported that in the region of San Miguelito the health centers of San Isidro and Torrijos Carter were affected by the lack of electrical power but at noon, service was restored in the normal way.

CSS staff are evaluating damage in emergency rooms, laboratories and air conditioners.

The CSS said that health care services are being provided in the normal way in the Hospital Arnulfo Arias Madrid, Susana Jones, Villa Lucre, J.J. Vallarino, in  Juan Díaz, and in Irma Lourdes.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/power-outage-closed-clinics-next-day

Edited by Moderator_02
edited title to make it a bit more general

• Moderators

Blackout cost economy $1.3 million per hour

outage-620x264.png

PANAMA’S  power blackout on Friday March 16 cost the local economy some $1.3 million an hour according to The Chamber of Commerce and Industries.

The Chamber says  smaller companies are the most harmed by these types of incidents, because they do not have emergency generators.

The projection of the business group came after the blackout y in several areas of Panama and Colón due to three explosions in the substations of the electricity transmission company Etesa.

The Public Services Authority announced Saturday that it will begin an investigation of the outage,  which impacted thousands of users.

Scores of restaurants were forced to close, and were unable to process payments for clients, and small stores closed their doors as police alerts were issued, that gangs could take advantage of the power outage that started early evening and lasted well into the night  in most areas.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/blackout-cost-economy-1-3-million-per-hour

in the summer of 2016 (and prior years) when reduced use of air conditioning and/or enforced brownouts were implemented in Chiriqui.

These measures may be in effect again this year due to the inconsistency in weather. This site shows reservoir levels at the nation's major generating stations.

http://www.hidromet.com.pa/niveles_actuales.php

• Moderators

POWER RATIONING begins March 20

apagon-620x264.jpg
Firefighters battle blaze after explosions

MEASURES  to ration the  use of electric energy after the blackout on  Friday in Panama  city and province of Colón begin on Monday March 20.

The Electric Transmission Company, S.A. (Etesa) announced the measures on Sunday evening and ordered the public and private sector to  turn of air conditioners , from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., including shopping centers of the city.

Businesses and offices that have electric power plants must be turned on and “fully disconnected from the network”.

This measure does not include public and private hospitals, the Metro de Panamá,  and some areas of Tocumen, and the rest of the country.

The decision to ration energy,said Etesa is for “the recovery and total stabilization of the  electricity system in the city, after the blackout resulting from three explosions at the Etesa substation in Condado del Rey.

“The state of alert is declared as a preventive measure to avoid overloading the system in the city of Panama and allow technicians to successfully complete the stabilization of the system” Etesa said in a statement.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/power-rationing-begins-march-20

1 hour ago, BlueBird said:

Pay attention folks. This could be the first notice that ration of electrical energy is possible in Chiriqui.

It is only for Panama City.  The problem was that the repair on the electrical substation located in Condado del Rey area will take some days and they need to work on the system and any excess of the demand will affect the now affected system that is not working at its 100%.   When everything is repaired it will return to normal operations.

• Upvote 1

• Moderators

Electricity rationing plan canceled

energy-620x264.png

THE ELECTRICITY rationing that was to have been implemented in Panama City and Colon on Monday, March 20  has been canceled.

The electricity transmission company Etesa has reported that  the full operation of the capital’s electrical system has been restored.

On Sunday evening, Etesa had announced that rationing would take place between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. including  the shutdown of air conditioners in public and private offices and shopping centers.

At 8:30 p.m. last Friday there was a blackout, was caused by a series of explosions in a substation.  which left several areas of Panama and Colón without power for several hours.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/electricity-rationing-plan-canceled

• Moderators

Energy fluctuations affect CSS hospitals

css-620x264.jpg

FLUCTUATION   in  Panama’s electricity distribution system on Tuesday, Mar.22  damaged equipment in Social Security hospitals.

Those affected were  Susana Jones Cano, Villa Lucre, and the Arnulfo Arias Madrid Hospital Complex on  Transístmica

Doctor-patient  appointments had to be rescheduled

At Susana Jones Cano  Hospital gynecological surgeries were suspended because of  high temperatures in the operating rooms.

In the Juan J. Díaz J. J. Vallarino polyclinic, only emergencies are being dealt with because of the  damage to air conditioners by energy fluctuation

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/energy-fluctuations-affect-css-hospitals

A friend lost her computer yesterday in one of the many surges. And, yes, she has a UPS and, I believe, a whole-house surge protector.

How does one prove that equipment was damaged by surges so as to recover costs of the equipment?

8 minutes ago, Bonnie said:

A friend lost her computer yesterday in one of the many surges. And, yes, she has a UPS and, I believe, a whole-house surge protector.

How does one prove that equipment was damaged by surges so as to recover costs of the equipment?

Making an immediate complaint to ASEP would be a start although Spanish is required and I don't know if personal equipment would be claimable.

http://www.asep.gob.pa/

Dont know what is going on in my neck of the woods, but power in Potrerillos has been very "iffy" over the past two days.  A 6 hour outage yesterday, a couple of minor outages during the night and two more this morning.  Certainly not blaming Panama City, I suspect piss poor maintainance is to blame.

10 minutes ago, JohnF13 said:

Dont know what is going on in my neck of the woods, but power in Potrerillos has been very "iffy" over the past two days.  A 6 hour outage yesterday, a couple of minor outages during the night and two more this morning.  Certainly not blaming Panama City, I suspect piss poor maintainance is to blame.

It's been iffy for two days here on the north side of Boquete, too. Two outages yesterday, two last night, and at least one today. I was in David most of today, though, and only experienced one about 9:00 or 9:30 this morning. I've started unplugging my computer and my washing machine when not in use.

42 minutes ago, Keith Woolford said:

The general manager of ETESA, Ing. Ivan Barria, fell on his sword yesterday and resigned.

This is the easy way out. I would prefer someone who would fix the problems, but alas, ....

Speaking only for our household, I find it interesting that with all of the problems we have had with getting reliable and good quality electric service that it is only when PC is affected that attention is brought to the problem. Hopefully the problem will now be solved.