It seems to me that saying you are not married in order to marry in Panama is the whitest of white lies. It's like responding to the question, "Do you think I'm fat?"A negative reply harms absolutely no one. Couples are well known to repeat the marriage ceremony to renew their vows. And Doug's argument about Panama not recognizing marriages outside the country will salve your conscience if need be. As there is no international registry of marriages, there is no issue of "getting caught" and highly improbable that the government would do anything about it even if they knew.They have bigger fish to fry. I say save yourself time and money and put this issue to rest.

On 3/14/2017 at 6:35 PM, JudyS said:

I said it before and I'll say it again.  My attorney said we certainly did not have to register our marriage in Panama.  In fact, he said that was ridiculous that someone would tell us we did.  The apostilled marriage license was part of the Pensionado documentation, and that was sufficient.  I was never denied in any hospital access to my husband in ICU or questioned about my marital status when it came to his medical treatment.  All they cared about is if I could pay.  I think that marriage registration exercise is a waste of time and money unless there is some very special circumstance.  The need for a living will, however, is right.  Do that.

Yes.  agreed.  But clear as day it's written on our E Cedula docs that we are single.