We are now stuck in Nicaragua,due in part to a whole host of things,non more it seems than my own stupidity according to many wise individuals.and in no way connected to or aided by Panama and it's legal system.

So if there are any lowlife parasites like me stupid enough to buy property in Panama without been a resident ,be abit careful you may end up cut off and cast into the wilderness of the land of "persona non Grata".even though you have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in the place noand still not 100% that Panama is Nirvana.

All I want to do is get back and sort out our own personal problems. And take of the monkeys.

Thanks

IMG_20161225_063936.jpg

On 3/11/2017 at 10:39 AM, Penny said:

What would happen if you flew into Tocuman? I don't think they're looking for border hoppers there and also, how could they deny you entry when you're already standing on Panamanian soil.

I think that's what I would do.

Penny

That is a good question.

In my opinion I think you are right.  Borders hopers are not being looked for at the airport as much as I know.  That is because people that travels via air usually goes to places and stay more than a couple of days out of the country and the immigration oficials are not looking for border hopers there.

• Upvote 1

I am thinking of flying out of David for a few days in Columbia.   Want to travel and see more of Central/South America anyway.  I was fingerprinted at Paso Canoas in early February and we went to see Gulfito and stayed for a few days at the Marina there.  It was a trip, not just a border hop.

On 3/11/2017 at 0:16 PM, MarieElaine said:

I am thinking of flying out of David for a few days in Columbia.   Want to travel and see more of Central/South America anyway.  I was fingerprinted at Paso Canoas in early February and we went to see Gulfito and stayed for a few days at the Marina there.  It was a trip, not just a border hop.

MarieElaine

If you travel to another country to visit and enjoy a few days overseas for sure it wont be considered a border hop.  Going to Colombia or other country in South America and taking an airplane at the Tocumen airport wont be considered like a border hop.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/11/2017 at 10:39 AM, Penny said:

What would happen if you flew into Tocuman? I don't think they're looking for border hoppers there and also, how could they deny you entry when you're already standing on Panamanian soil.

I think that's what I would do.

It's a gamble Penny.they could stick me on a plane to London.then I am really in a mess

And i heard that the have people stuck at Tocumen also denied entry.

On 3/11/2017 at 1:48 PM, Roger B said:

MarieElaine

If you travel to another country to visit and enjoy a few days overseas for sure it wont be considered a border hop.  Going to Colombia or other country in South America and taking an airplane at the Tocumen airport wont be considered like a border hop.  

Sorry, Roger, but I don't see the difference. If one leaves and reenters the country every 3 or 6 months while on a tourist visa, he is resetting that visa regardless of method of transportation. Sounds very risky to me.

17 hours ago, Rooikop said:

I have a ticket for the first of May and my wife for march 22nd.and we can't get in to use them.the whole situation is a mess.

Like another person has said. Walk back across. Get her on the plane in March out of Tocumen. If they say something just tell them to deport because she already has a ticket for herself. Do the same with yours later and then maybe you can at least get a contract on your land and house.

If you just walk back across, How do you plan to pass the check point a few minutes down the road from the border crossing of Paso Canoas? There is a permanent set up checkpoint where the police check documents making sure you have entered. We have experienced this every single time. Whether going by car or bus, and only 1 time did they not look in our passport.

Surely you would have to pass this whenever you head to the city to go to Tocumen. 

19 hours ago, SP87 said:

If you just walk back across, How do you plan to pass the check point a few minutes down the road from the border crossing of Paso Canoas? There is a permanent set up checkpoint where the police check documents making sure you have entered. We have experienced this every single time. Whether going by car or bus, and only 1 time did they not look in our passport.

Surely you would have to pass this whenever you head to the city to go to Tocumen. 

I had never been checked at the Check Point headed back towards David before I got residency. Maybe they have been instructed to start doing so since they are "enforcing" their laws now. Thank goodness I got my Pensionado and Ecedula.

1 hour ago, Hil said:

I had never been checked at the Check Point headed back towards David before I got residency. Maybe they have been instructed to start doing so since they are "enforcing" their laws now. Thank goodness I got my Pensionado and Ecedula.

We are always stopped at the Check Point between Boquete and David. Officers are friendly and only sometimes ask to see our cedulas. We usually offer bottled water....especially on hot days.

2 hours ago, Hil said:

I live in Panama City so I am not sure how far into Panama you need to drive after entering at Paso Canoas to get to David but I would assume if people are suggesting him to go to Tocumen and he's driving he would take the same path we do. And about 20 or so mins (maybe a bit more)  into Panama there is a check point. This has been there for at least 4 years but I'm sure more. Sometimes bags and cars get inspected, sometimes just passports, and only one time, nothing was checked and we were just waved through. This check point is whether you are going or coming and whether you are in bus or car. 

Below is a photo of a checkpoint much further away from the border. Yes, there's two checkpoints between the border and the city. 

IMG_8569.JPG

Edited by SP87

Legal status is expensive for some of us so the tourist situation was ideal.  I believe the check points set up around Chiriqui were for the crime wave we had a year or so ago.  That was the intended purpose and, as far as I know they have been somewhat successful in keeping the break ins down.  

I take the bus to David and Paso Canoas and they never stop us.

1 hour ago, MarieElaine said:

Legal status is expensive for some of us so the tourist situation was ideal.  I believe the check points set up around Chiriqui were for the crime wave we had a year or so ago.  That was the intended purpose and, as far as I know they have been somewhat successful in keeping the break ins down.  

Sorry legal status is expensive for you. The process of using a hole in the immigration system and attempting to be a permanent tourist in Panama may be a thing of the past.

I've found Panamanians are mostly friendly and patiently kind, but they have a right to decide who can live in their country either as a visiting short time tourist or as a legal resident.

IMO. The current situation is very real.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MarieElaine said:

They now are checking every vehicle at the checkpoint east of Paso Canoas, I have heard from people who have been there within the last few days. Please do not be advising folks otherwise. That is a major checkpoint for immigration status, and logic itself would dictate that this checkpoint would be used with the new requirements.

Pat is right. The current situation is very real. Those who are taking it lightly will not receive the same sympathy the Walkers have received when they become stuck outside the country. IMHO  those folks claiming not to be able to afford residency should redirect the money they are expending on travel, dining out, etc. to get legal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bonnie said:

They now are checking every vehicle at the checkpoint east of Paso Canoas, I have heard from people who have been there within the last few days. Please do not be advising folks otherwise. That is a major checkpoint for immigration status, and logic itself would dictate that this checkpoint would be used with the new requirements.

Pat is right. The current situation is very real. Those who are taking it lightly will not receive the same sympathy the Walkers have received when they become stuck outside the country. IMHO  those folks claiming not to be able to afford residency should redirect the money they are expending on travel, dining out, etc. to get legal.

As the US Warden here in Boquete your words carry authority, Bonnie. People should pay attention and stop hoping the Panamian law can/will be ignored so they can continue their permanent tourist status while living here in Panama.

This enforcement has been publicized for many weeks and seems to becoming more strict in more locations. Border hoppers beware.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

We are always stopped at the Check Point between Boquete and David. Officers are friendly and only sometimes ask to see our cedulas. We usually offer bottled water....especially on hot days.

I'm a lucky guy. I've had my papers checked one time in 2.5 years there. Never had my new license or ecedula checked. I know it's happening soon. Immigration is on a manhunt. lololololol

The past is the past and the situation is different now. I don't believe immigration is on a manhunt. The information was available several weeks ago that border hopping was not going to be tolerated or allowed. Glad you have a ecedula, keep it handy and no problem for you at the check-points because you have followed the law.:)

On 3/11/2017 at 1:52 PM, Rooikop said:

And i heard that the have people stuck at Tocumen also denied entry.

Sorry.  

But it is only that hearsay.  

Not a formal information.   If something like that happened in the airport for sure the local newspaper and TV News would be presenting in all the TV channels.  It would be a real problem of the airport being very congested, the airlines will be having a lot of trouble with the people rejected and sending them back,   So I suggest to rely only on formal information.

On 3/11/2017 at 6:12 PM, Bonnie said:

Sorry, Roger, but I don't see the difference. If one leaves and reenters the country every 3 or 6 months while on a tourist visa, he is resetting that visa regardless of method of transportation. Sounds very risky to me.

Bonnie

You are right.  I seem to forgot the difference of TOURIST and IMMIGRANT.

3 hours ago, Roger B said:

Sorry.  

But it is only that hearsay.  

Not a formal information.   If something like that happened in the airport for sure the local newspaper and TV News would be presenting in all the TV channels.  It would be a real problem of the airport being very congested, the airlines will be having a lot of trouble with the people rejected and sending them back,   So I suggest to rely only on formal information.

Watch the TV Roger. it was on TV.

18 hours ago, Bud said:

To my way of thinking, the title for this topic might be better worded if it read in more general terms: "Be Legal Wherever You Are".

Just a thought. :)

I am not sure and will need to look for the correct information but when the past governments in Panama decided to promote Panama as a destiny for Retired Expats I think that they never considered that people who will qualify and benefit from this plan will be advised to become eternal tourist.   As much as I can remember the package says that people will benefit by getting their Status Residence as Retired or Pensioned and getting their E-Cedula.

Also when promoting the friendly nations program and foreign professionals programs I doubt that the Panama's government will allow people to apply for those immigration programs by being as an eternal tourist in the country.

Sorry but for me it is a confusion on the terms of tourist and immigrant and people taking advantage of this loophole in the current law.  Now that this situation is under the radar of the authorities is because that it passed from a couple of hundreds people doing it to dozens of thousands doing the same.  It is now very difficult to pass unnoticed.  

That the Immigration Agency in Panama is not doing their jobs accordingly: fast, easy and cheaper... I concede it.  Something must be done there.    That there are some lawyers that are no doing an ethic and good job for some customer I concede it a 100%.   That is something that a large group of expats like yours could ask directly to our government officials.   Complain about this and express your experiences and opinions to the government officials that you did it the right way to be legal but the system is not working as it should to make this possible for those expats who really wanted to do it correctly.  

The problem is that because the immigration grew out of proportion by some specific expats:  "Pagan justos por pecadores."  It is in english something like:  "Pay fair for sinners".