Seal with white background

The American Citizen Services (ACS) Unit would like to invite you to meet Ambassador John D. Feeley on Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9a.m. in the Third Floor Meeting Room of Boquete Public Library (in front of La Carreta Restaurant, Calle 8va Sur).  Ambassador Feeley will travel there to meet U.S. Citizens in the area and discuss any issues of your concern. 

To confirm your attendance, please respond to this e-mail.

We look forward to seeing you there.

Sincerely,

American Citizen Services Unit
U.S. Embassy Panama

• Moderators

Here are some interesting facts that were mentioned by Ambassador John D. Feeley at the town hall meeting in Boquete. Also we are posting some pictures taken during the event.

Ambassador Feeley has been the US ambassador to Panama since February 2016. If you are interested in reading more about Ambassador Feeley, please visit https://panama.usembassy.gov/ambassador.html.

The best estimate is that there are approximately 4,500 American expatriates living in the Chiriqui Province. Only 297 of them have registered with the US Embassy for the "STEP Notification Program". STEP is an acronym standing for "Smart Traveler Enrollment Program". STEP is an automated email system that facilitates distribution of information deemed to be important to US citizens who are living (and are registered) in a particular country. If you are interested in learning more about STEP, please visit https://step.state.gov/STEPMobile/Help/Help.

Another interesting factoid is that only about 27% of US citizens have a passport.

In case of an emergency, Ambassador Feeley provided the contact information for the US State Department's "Duty Officer". If you are a US citizen and find yourself in an emergency situation while in Panama, the Duty Officer may be contacted by telephone at 317-5000 (that is a Panama telephone number, not a US telephone number).

group photo 2.jpgTo the right is a picture of the audience that was taken about 15 minutes prior to the start of the meeting. As you can see, the room was already full. It is estimated that there were 100 people attending this town hall meeting at the time the meeting officially began. It was a standing room only situation at Biblioteca de Boquete.

Next are two pictures of Ambassador Feeley as he was fielding questions from the audience, followed by one picture of Thao Anh Tran. Ms Tran is the consular officer that US citizens should contact (or one of her staff) with their questions. The email address you should use to contact the American Citizen Services section of the Consulate is Panama-ACS@state.gov.

2017-03-14 09.12.57.jpg

2017-03-14 09.14.17.jpg

2017-03-14 09.12.08.jpg

• Moderators

Sorry, but we forgot to include a picture of our Alternate US Warden for the Boquete area -- Bonnie Williams -- who was also in attendance at this town hall meeting.

Thank you, Bonnie, for everything you do for all of the US expats in the Chiriqui highlands area.

P.S., if anyone needs to contact Bonnie, you can send her a PM (private message) via CL using @Bonnie. (That is a hotlink to Bonnie's profile, then click on the message icon.)

2017-03-14 08.59.33.jpg

In case of an emergency, Ambassador Feeley provided the contact information for the US State Department's "Duty Officer". If you are a US citizen and find yourself in an emergency situation while in Panama, the Duty Officer may be contacted by telephone at 317-5000 (that is a Panama telephone number, not a US telephone number).

This number is manned 24/7. FYI.

The best estimate is that there are approximately 4,500 American expatriates living in the Chiriqui Province. Only 297 of them have registered with the US Embassy for the "STEP Notification Program"

In the absence of any data, the 'best estimate of approximately 4,500 American expatriates living in Chiriqui' is over exaggerated, imo.

Edited by Keith Woolford

On 3/18/2017 at 6:43 PM, TwoSailors said:

Bud,

Time to start a Dating category here on CL?

Looks like Roger and Bonnie can be the first!

Please.  A lady is a lady and a gentleman should always have good words and compliments to ladies in a very respectul way.  It doesnt have to do with any "dating" situation.  It is only being and behaving like a gentleman under the presence of a lady and should not be seen as a personal approach. of any means

• Upvote 4

On 3/18/2017 at 6:48 PM, Bonnie said:

I believe Roger is married. I know he has children. In any case, I'm sure I'm much older than he is. But it's always nice to get a compliment.

Bonnie

You are right.  I am happily married with 4 young adults kids and two beautiful grandkids.  It was always a pleasure to have good words and compliments to a lady in a very respectful way.  I cant get why it should be seen in other way than it really is.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

In the absence of any data, the 'best estimate of approximately 4,500 American expatriates living in Chiriqui' is over exaggerated, imo.

I've seen some websites that put the estimate over 10,000,  although as I recall they were including Canadians as well. That's patently absurd to even a casual observer, although I have no idea how many gringos reside in or near David.  I'm also amazed that only 297 Americans have signed up for the STEP notices (and certainly some of them are no longer here in Panama but have not unsubscribed to the emails).

What would be your best guess as the expat population of Chiriqui, Keith?

• Upvote 1

• Moderators
On 3/18/2017 at 6:43 PM, TwoSailors said:

Bud,

Time to start a Dating category here on CL?

Looks like Roger and Bonnie can be the first!

For Roger, and others,

I just want to be sure that no one was misunderstanding what TwoSailors wrote here. This was a kind of "tongue-in-cheek" and light-hearted joke. My concern about a misunderstanding is that there are numerous replies based on this posting, and experience tells me that sometimes there are cultural differences, and possibly language issues as well that can have unwanted and unexpected side effects.

For Roger specifically, you have said nothing inappropriate. And the responses by others on this matter were not taking you to task. No apologies are needed on the part of anyone.

And then maybe this "clarification" isn't even needed in the first place. However, Marcelyn and I have met you, and you truly are a gentleman, and we want no one to think otherwise.

just want to be sure that no one was misunderstanding what TwoSailors wrote here. This was a kind of "tongue-in-cheek" and light-hearted joke.

Totally "tongue in cheek"!

I cant get why it should be seen in other way than it really is. ........It was not meant in "any other way'!  

• Upvote 1

Well said Bud.  Both Roger and as well Two Sailors are wonderful friends of mine (as is Bonnie). These are some super great people !  I'd hate for there to be any kind of misunderstanding as you explained.  You are an excellent moderator and we all appreciate you jumping in.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, TwoSailors said:

just want to be sure that no one was misunderstanding what TwoSailors wrote here. This was a kind of "tongue-in-cheek" and light-hearted joke.

Totally "tongue in cheek"!

I cant get why it should be seen in other way than it really is. ........It was not meant in "any other way'!  

I think all of us knew it was a joke.  Bud just wanted to make sure  everybody realized it was.

• Upvote 2

Interesting.  I'm trying to do the right thing and sign up for STEP.  No matter what i attempt to do I get bounced.  Username choice?: taken. Ok new user/pass.  Half way through the site jams and shuts down.  I then went to page #1 and attempted to put my newer choices of user/pass.  I was told they were taken. I put my email in there and was also told it was incorrect. ( I  do better buying stuff on Amazon.com !)

I'm taking a breather.  Will try again later. This may be why so few have signed up...just a guess.

• Upvote 2

OK...so I didn't want to be a quitter.  I again tried to open a new account with yet another user/pass ( now the 3rd attempt at starting fresh) .  It would not take the newest user/pass.   When I entered my email it refused that as well.  It told me it did not match...what I have no idea as I was just entering it as a result of "forgotten" user/pass.  I could go for #4 try but I'm running out of creative user/pass ideas.....ha ha

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Brundageba said:

Well said Bud.  Both Roger and as well Two Sailors are wonderful friends of mine (as is Bonnie). These are some super great people !  I'd hate for there to be any kind of misunderstanding as you explained.  You are an excellent moderator and we all appreciate you jumping in.

Gracias! :)

On 3/16/2017 at 6:55 PM, Moderator_02 said:

Here are some interesting facts that were mentioned by Ambassador John D. Feeley at the town hall meeting in Boquete. Also we are posting some pictures taken during the event.

Ambassador Feeley has been the US ambassador to Panama since February 2016. If you are interested in reading more about Ambassador Feeley, please visit https://panama.usembassy.gov/ambassador.html.

The best estimate is that there are approximately 4,500 American expatriates living in the Chiriqui Province. Only 297 of them have registered with the US Embassy for the "STEP Notification Program". STEP is an acronym standing for "Smart Traveler Enrollment Program". STEP is an automated email system that facilitates distribution of information deemed to be important to US citizens who are living (and are registered) in a particular country. If you are interested in learning more about STEP, please visit https://step.state.gov/STEPMobile/Help/Help.

Another interesting factoid is that only about 27% of US citizens have a passport.

I was curious about this 27%  of US citizens having passports and it seemed very low.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2016/04/off-the-grid-why-americans-travel-domestic-instead-1.html