10 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

Bonnie,

People in Panama on tourist visas are not allowed to drive vehicles owned and registered to them outside of the country.

How did he do this?

No they did not let Michelle in.and the Hilux is in Panama.we are waiting to see what transpires this week.we can't afford to spend any more money.Nicaragua is cheap.and nice.

10 hours ago, Siempre Soluciones said:

Thanks for the clarification.

Though we've never met, I can speak for myself and the many people that I've discussed this with in the last week, we all care about you guys since we're all in this together.

Thanks,the last few days have been a nightmare.michelle is worried about her babies.its not easy not knowing what to do.I hope no one else has this problem.

IMG_20161225_063931.jpg

Twin Wolf said:  "We had already purchased a flight back to Colombia at the start of April.  The purpose of the trip is for me to get a spousal visa for Colombia.....  We were also going to get our marriage certificate and paperwork apostilled so she could start her Panama visa process"

Bill and I sought an attorney  for work to secure our possessions ( house/land)  here in the event of the death of one of us.  We both have E-Cedulas, our home is in a Corporation and now inside a Foundation as well.  We wished to also obtain a Certification of marital status from Panama.  ( We have been married for 47 yr and the immigration dept does have the apostilled document of that status).  That said on our E Cedula doc we are described as "single".  So that it is abundantly clear in any remote possibility of a probate situation we wished to clarify that we are in fact legally married.  After having obtained yet another apostilled set of marital docs form the USA for our attorney and now almost 8 months later, and  we have not yet received the Certification of Marital Status from Panama.  We did receive a bill for $500.00 from the attorney this last week.  Our attorney told us "there was an error" ( non specified) We will not let $500 pass into the lawyer's hands until we see the Certificate.  We ( after being happily, legally married for 47 yr.) still await the Certification from Panama that our marital status is in fact legal.

Lesson in patience

All that said, we are very happy living here.  It was probably the best decision of our lives...second only to our marriage 47 yr ago !

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hil said:

Good idea Penny--yes he can walk across. Then "maybe" he can make his flight out of Tocumen. I don't think they will look at his passport too close when leaving Tocumen. They don't look too close at the exit stamp out of costa rica when leaving from Tocumen. If they say something at Tocumen he can tell them deport me on "My Flight I have booked." Anyway you slice it if he walks across and makes it to Tocumen in May they can let him pass or deport him on his "own" scheduled plane ticket. It's worth the gamble to get his property on the market.

I flew out of Tocumen last Wednesday, and security absolutely scrutinized my passport.  The lady had a problem with it and started grilling me in Spanish.  I'm not even close to fluent, so fished my e-cedula out of my wallet.  That fixed everything instantly.  In hindsight, she clearly was troubled that my last entry into Panama was far more than 180 days ago.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Uncle Doug said:

I flew out of Tocumen last Wednesday, and security absolutely scrutinized my passport.  The lady had a problem with it and started grilling me in Spanish.  I'm not even close to fluent, so fished my e-cedula out of my wallet.  That fixed everything instantly.  In hindsight, she clearly was troubled that my last entry into Panama was far more than 180 days ago.

If you didn't have your Ecedula it probably would have cost you $50 for over staying your visa. I wonder where and how long it takes to pay the fine?

On 3/11/2017 at 2:39 PM, GrayRiver Farms said:

Why can there not be privileges for some over others?  If there are no persons with special skills which are needed, then those persons with such skills would be preferred immigrants. 

If the country of Panamà does not want to accept Venezuelans on a humanitarian basis, then that is their political decision. 

Perhaps they think that a retiree who border hops does so because they lack funds to get a jubilado or E-Cedula.  There have been several Americans who have come with minimal income ( in the past $500 per month was the minimum.)  Then they get sick and depend on the government to absorb their medical bills.  I am not sure what the minimum is now, but people with small pensions cannot spend too much and thus may not be considered an economic plus. 

One would think that a retiree who employs native workers would be desirable.  If one cannot stay in the country and owns property, then at some point, the government might get the property.  Money always talks, but in what language?  Perhaps the politicos just woke up angry one day.  Or perhaps the CIA is being intrusive and the problem is displaced anger.

I do regret that some people get caught in the cracks.  Perhaps things will relax again soon. 

Governments can be arbitrary and illogical!

There are special considerations in the immigration laws for professionals and multinational companies workers in Panama.  Looks like the problem now is that some people took advantage of the situation and started doing things that were not according to what some laws and decrees states.   The law states that a company could and may have foreign persons working in a relation of 1 foreign for every 10 panamanians citizens.  It is a 10%.  but the problem is that there are some companies that abused the law and this proportion is higher. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1