19 hours ago, Brundageba said:

what ?????????????????

You kiddin me?  We could have had an Italian dinner benefit for the folks in need here or a gzillion other ways to productively use those tomatoes.  I find this hard to believe.

Aime Gonzalez, a tomato producer in Volcán, said that imports in full harvest time, as well as a super production of the item is causing prices per pound in the field not to exceed 0.07 or 0.10 a hundred, which do not serve to cover the costs Of production of 0.20 and 0.25 a hundred per pound.

These growers can't just grow for charity. Although when the market is good (less the imports) they could donate to charity. They might donate already I don't know.

2 hours ago, Hil said:

Aime Gonzalez, a tomato producer in Volcán, said that imports in full harvest time, as well as a super production of the item is causing prices per pound in the field not to exceed 0.07 or 0.10 a hundred, which do not serve to cover the costs Of production of 0.20 and 0.25 a hundred per pound.

These growers can't just grow for charity. Although when the market is good (less the imports) they could donate to charity. They might donate already I don't know.

Nobody is expecting them to grow tomatoes for charity.  These tomatoes were already grown, then dumped.  Couldn't they have offered them to charities instead of dumping them?

It is a problem all over.  I lived in San Antonio, TX for a short time in the 80s, and I volunteered at a wildlife rescue place.  We would go to Kroger and HEB and ask for their discarded produce.  Often they didn't have any, because they shredded all of it in a giant garbage disposal.  Again, what a waste.  Raccoons don't care if their vegetables are bruised or a little over-ripe.

5 hours ago, JudyS said:

Nobody is expecting them to grow tomatoes for charity.  These tomatoes were already grown, then dumped.  Couldn't they have offered them to charities instead of dumping them?

It's called PROTEST here.

The article said there is no market for the vegetables fruit. 

The crisis of tomato growers in the province of Chiriqui is exacerbated by having to stop harvesting and dispose of close to 60% of their harvest, as being affected by imports and the lack of markets.

The farmers have had to take on trucks their ripe crops of tomato and throw them in the pasture or ditches, because there are no markets and the product must be removed from the field to continue harvesting the plants.

Jaime González, producer of tomato of Volcano, assured that imports in the middle of harvest, as well as a super production sector players is causing prices per pound in the field do not exceed 0.07 or 0.10 cents, which do not serve to cover the costs of production of 0.20 and 0.25 cents per pound

Ameth Lezcano, of the Association of Producers of Renasciamiento, assured that the tomateros are losing more than 18 and a half million dollars, not to mention that it does not cover the profits that should have to stay in the market in order not to lose their farms.

He said that some 600 tomato farmers are going through the worst moment in history, because imports from Mexico, the United States and other regions of the world are still arriving and the government does not care about it.

Juan Gallardo, another tomato growers, mentioned that the crisis has to do with the lack of state policies to determine the appropriate date to make imports, nor make inventories of what they produce.

http://www.tvn-2.com/nacionales/Importaciones-perdidas-Chiriqui-crisis-agudiza_0_4699030075.html

Edited by Keith Woolford