Why would the rules -- referring here to the matter of border runs for the resetting of passports, etc. --  for crossing borders via air be different from other modes of travel? I'm not dissing your inquiry, but just missing the point totally. What is your concern?

It seems to me that flying to another country for any length of time would "reset" a passport entry date.

2 hours ago, Bud said:

Why would the rules -- referring here to the matter of border runs for the resetting of passports, etc. --  for crossing borders via air be different from other modes of travel? I'm not dissing your inquiry, but just missing the point totally. What is your concern?

It seems to me that flying to another country for any length of time would "reset" a passport entry date.

I've only been in Panama for two weeks after being in the States for 3 weeks so I don't need to reset my visa. What I'm wondering is, if I travel to Medellin on Monday and return on Tuesday will they tell me I have to remain out another day even though, by then, I will have only been in Panama for 3 weeks? And if I can be out of Panama for a day after 2 weeks, can I be out a day after 2 months? At what timeframe does the 72 hour rule kick in? I'll be having these trips on an ongoing basis now. I'll check with immigration if I don't get an answer but was hoping to call on the knowledge base here at CL.

I know this doesn't help much, but my past experience is not all border checkpoints are administered the same, as are the migracion offices. I have crossed 5 different ones! Also the law, which I have read isn't followed to the letter. So good luck. I am going to MDE soon, but staying longer. Interested to know what you find out.