Boquete.ning...isn't it strange?

On nearly a daily basis, sometimes more often, the same small group of people (you can count them on one hand) feel obligated to defend the new .ning owners/moderators on that site.

Previous to the new owners taking over, these folks had pretty much never posted on or made their presence known. One person, who claims to have been a friend of Lee Zeltzer's even goes so far as to make statements that are basically exactly the same as the moderators have made in defending their actions. There's something wrong with this picture....

10 hours ago, Gordon Bakke said:

On nearly a daily basis, sometimes more often, the same small group of people (you can count them on one hand) feel obligated to defend the new .ning owners/moderators on that site.

Previous to the new owners taking over, these folks had pretty much never posted on or made their presence known. One person, who claims to have been a friend of Lee Zeltzer's even goes so far as to make statements that are basically exactly the same as the moderators have made in defending their actions. There's something wrong with this picture....

I think Rose Ann Fox is a shill.

On 11/13/2015, 8:35:15, Gordon Bakke said:

Has anyone been interviewed for the position of ambassador to ningdom?  From Bob's message on ning.

We understand the importance of having a 'boots on the ground" representative for our site, one who understands the needs of those residing or vacationing in the surrounding areas. We are interviewing and very close to announcing this Ning ambassador so to speak.  We only hope the critique's will be minimal, there is no reason for any meanness.  , 

39 minutes ago, Jaime Daniel said:

Has anyone been interviewed for the position of ambassador to ningdom?  From Bob's message on ning.

We understand the importance of having a 'boots on the ground" representative for our site, one who understands the needs of those residing or vacationing in the surrounding areas. We are interviewing and very close to announcing this Ning ambassador so to speak.  We only hope the critique's will be minimal, there is no reason for any meanness.  , 

This new Ning ambassador will probably have to be Birdy, Silverman, or Fox (all the same person?). Writing style the same with too many apostrophes much like Bob Hunter.

Has anyone noticed this?

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2015‎ ‎8‎:‎40‎:‎02‎, TwoSailors said:

What a great site we have here!!  :D:D

Chiriqui Life... Let's talk about that.

Boquete Ning is so old school... and a waste of positive energy!

Tell your friends to join this site instead of dwelling on the past!

Just saying!

As we say in Panama.  " We don't like the gossips.... but how them entertain us."

Ambreen, Bob Hunter, Birdie of Paradise, David Silverman visit CL regularly and post what they think is a bunch of people conspiring against BN.  They claim that their membership is increasing everyday and mpeople that never posted before because they were afraid of been attacked by the subversive people that now are part of CL send them hundred letters praising them for the changes of cutting down the evil people out of the site. 

So I enjoy seeing how this is developing at BN. 

2 hours ago, Roger B said:

As we say in Panama.  " We don't like the gossips.... but how them entertain us."

Ambreen, Bob Hunter, Birdie of Paradise, David Silverman visit CL regularly and post what they think is a bunch of people conspiring against BN.  They claim that their membership is increasing everyday and mpeople that never posted before because they were afraid of been attacked by the subversive people that now are part of CL send them hundred letters praising them for the changes of cutting down the evil people out of the site. 

So I enjoy seeing how this is developing at BN. 

This is true, Sr. Roger.  Ambreen claims 325 new members but a very easy count of BN membership shows 234 members since JLM Foundation joined on Sept 8th when BN changed ownership.  Her math skills are not much better than her social skills.

So how is this great Chiriqui Life site doing for you?

How many new members have you recruited?  Instead of dwelling on about BN?? We  all have  sad feelings about BN... Time to  move forward.. please!!

Let's all focus on CL instead, and making this site a shining star!

Just saying! 9_9

Edited by TwoSailors

Just my opinion but I do not see the need to go out and recruit new members.   Several things need to happen.   First, lots of information and responses.  That means members need to speak up when questions are asked.  Give your opinion you won't get banned or your contribution deleted.  This is already happening to a certain degree.   Members here asking advice about hotels in Panama City and discussion about Ruta Sur.  It will take awhile to build that vast information we used to have but that is what will bring more people.  If they want to go 

In the list of 1,001 things to do, I am sure Bud has SEO (Search Engine Optimization) on his list.   That is a fancy way of saying that this site will pop up on Google and other search engines when people are searching for Chiriqui, Boquete, David, Volcan etc

The one thing this site has over the old site is there are more chatter-boxes here.   Comparing the two sites, I think Chiriqui Life ended up with more members that give their opinions which leads to interesting discussions that and go in all different directions.  That is certainly a plus.  I struggle a bit when conversations get split off and moved because now I am jumping around and losing the thread.   I like organization but perhaps organization could be done after the discussion draws to a close.   Staying on topic is always difficult both online and in real life.  Then again going off topic can often get more interesting than Q&A of facts.

I don't mind watching and commenting on the old site but I think it is a mistake to make that the focus.   Setting this discussion board apart from the old site is as simple as having lots of discussions on various topics related to life in Chiriqui.   Right now the only discussion on the old site related to life here is where to get good pizza, which by the way was a slight personal frustration of my own tonight.   I drove from Potrerillos up to Boquete just to try out Retrogustos but they were closed.

Speaking of which it is time to go raid the fridge...   good night all.

4 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

I like organization but perhaps organization could be done after the discussion draws to a close.  

I agree with TW.  I also agree with one of Gordon's comments in a different thread.  Conversations flow and do go off of the original topic.  It's normal, and prematurely controlling it could attenuate a valuable discussion.  It's all about balance and timing.

4 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

Just my opinion but I do not see the need to go out and recruit new members.   Several things need to happen.   First, lots of information and responses.  That means members need to speak up when questions are asked.  Give your opinion you won't get banned or your contribution deleted.  This is already happening to a certain degree.   Members here asking advice about hotels in Panama City and discussion about Ruta Sur.  It will take awhile to build that vast information we used to have but that is what will bring more people.  If they want to go 

In the list of 1,001 things to do, I am sure Bud has SEO (Search Engine Optimization) on his list.   That is a fancy way of saying that this site will pop up on Google and other search engines when people are searching for Chiriqui, Boquete, David, Volcan etc

The one thing this site has over the old site is there are more chatter-boxes here.   Comparing the two sites, I think Chiriqui Life ended up with more members that give their opinions which leads to interesting discussions that and go in all different directions.  That is certainly a plus.  I struggle a bit when conversations get split off and moved because now I am jumping around and losing the thread.   I like organization but perhaps organization could be done after the discussion draws to a close.   Staying on topic is always difficult both online and in real life.  Then again going off topic can often get more interesting than Q&A of facts.

I don't mind watching and commenting on the old site but I think it is a mistake to make that the focus.   Setting this discussion board apart from the old site is as simple as having lots of discussions on various topics related to life in Chiriqui.   Right now the only discussion on the old site related to life here is where to get good pizza, which by the way was a slight personal frustration of my own tonight.   I drove from Potrerillos up to Boquete just to try out Retrogustos but they were closed.

Speaking of which it is time to go raid the fridge...   good night all.

5 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

Right now the only discussion on the old site related to life here is where to get good pizza, which by the way was a slight personal frustration of my own tonight.

Baru restaurant (across the street from the post office) has good wood-fired pizza.  I have heard the Italian restaurant across from Sugar & Spice also has good pizza.  I like wood-fired thin crust, so that is the basis for my recommendations.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Twin Wolf Technology Group said:

Twin Wolf,

Glad to see this post. It is okay to take us to task, especially in the manner which you do it. Several have been less kind, but that is okay as well. Such is life.

We hope someday to be the premiere information resource and social networking site for the Chiriqui Province -- for its residents, it's businesses, it's wanna-be residents, and its wanna-be businesses. For the record, we are not trying to recruit or entice anyone to move to Chiriqui, but rather provide a responsive source of quality information, advice, and accounts of real world experiences, etc.

We are working on our rankings with the search engine behemoths (the so-called SEO techie stuff, etc.), improving our metadata, etc., so as to attract more interest and get more visibility. It just takes time to do things the right way. And while we would like to see more members, more content, more good stuff, etc., our mindset and operating style is that quality is preferred over quantity.

It takes time to build anything well. Starting something with a good foundation will result in the community supporting that something, and all will prosper. There were two foundational bedrocks that we set in granite during the planning phase for CL. They were/are:

1. set clear and crisp guidelines and rules in writing - right up front, and enforce them in a compassionate manner given the situational context, and
  2. operate with transparency, in the purest definition of that word.

We believe that we are fulfilling our commitment to those two foundational bedrocks. Some can (some already have!) disagreed, and that is okay with us.

Referring to number 1 above, if anyone wishes to review (comment on?) the guidelines and rules, click on Governance Documents. Any comments or feedback would have to be in the form of private message, an email to support@chiriqui.life or a posting in a forum that permits member topics or replies, such as Problems, Feedback and Suggestions.

On the subject of the moving of postings, we try to balance each instance with the pros and cons. It truly is a balancing act on our part. Recall our two foundational bedrocks discussed above. We do get complaints (many of them) from members about postings going off-topic. That is why there is a rule about staying on topic. We recommend people who need to diverge to start a new topic, not go off-topic. There is no limit to the number of topics in this website, nor per member. In those cases where a topic is either moved, or portions of a topic are split apart, we always notify the originator, and place a redirect link (where appropriate) in the old forum, and in many instances post an explanation as part of the topic.

To date, a lot of content has been relocated. We would prefer not having to do so, but the future value of the information on this website dictates a rather clinical and consistent approach to forum/topic integrity.

To date, no content has been arbitrarily deleted; some content has been removed at the request of the originator, such as cases, for instance, of accidental double postings and deciding to use a different channel (channels are the forums, the blogs, the albums in the galleries, etc.).

From a personal perspective, we would like to see less bantering about the "old site", but we understand it is interesting for some of the members, and so it continues as they wish, but just in the appropriate forum.

15 minutes ago, Gordon Bakke said:

Bantering...the hallmark of a vibrant and successful forum. :-)

In general, I would agree that bantering can be both entertaining and an indicator of a "vibrant and successful forum". However, bantering to excess, or about a losing situation can be a sign of bad judgment, teasing, and possibly even ridicule.

Just my thoughts.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JudyS said:

Baru restaurant (across the street from the post office) has good wood-fired pizza.  I have heard the Italian restaurant across from Sugar & Spice also has good pizza.  I like wood-fired thin crust, so that is the basis for my recommendations.

Interesting. I never knew the pizza @ Baru was wood-fired.

• Upvote 1

If memory serves, Lee had bugs in that platform early on and gradually sorted things out, adding bits and pieces and refining for a number of years.  I expect this will be the same. If CL does truly become the "go-to"site for reliable information and the sections/subsections are used as they are designated , the registrations will increase exponentially.  In this land we live in, the key word is paciencia.  I look forward to the development and growth.