With this wind...the beach would be nasty.  Blowing sand.  Nearest beach is Las Olas. 

Might be nicer to go to Cangilones just the other side of Gualaca. It is an established park and frequented by families and youngsters. 

Beautiful swimming hole.  Usually pretty peaceful early in the day. 

3328110-Cangilones-de-Gualaca-Chiriqui-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Well the wind has let up.  Las Olas is at least an hour from here.  Beach is much like Daytona....nice for walking the beach.  The waves could have some size as a new swell has approached.  It's a beach with rips and currents.  You can be standing in 3 ft deep water step one step to the right or left and be over your head and swept.  Keep that in mind if you are not a good swimmer.  if you are a good swimmer ...don't panic...ride out the rip and head back in...don't fight it.  You'll be fine.

My vote is my first suggestion.  Nice easy drive, no traffic, scenic and peaceful

Have fun

Alison

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brundageba said:

Well the wind has let up.  Las Olas is at least an hour from here.  Beach is much like Daytona....nice for walking the beach.  The waves could have some size as a new swell has approached.  It's a beach with rips and currents.  You can be standing in 3 ft deep water step one step to the right or left and be over your head and swept.  Keep that in mind if you are not a good swimmer.  if you are a good swimmer ...don't panic...ride out the rip and head back in...don't fight it.  You'll be fine.

My vote is my first suggestion.  Nice easy drive, no traffic, scenic and peaceful

Have fun

Alison

There is a yellow flag caution at Playa Barqueta today for "strong waves and the presence of marine agents"

What would they mean by marine agents, Alison?  Sea snakes? Jellyfish? Saltwater crocs?

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Locals call it "mal agua".   Heavy wind, big surf  and jellyfish make for pieces of jellyfish tentacles in the water.  If you tend to be allergic to stings you can come out with rash and hives.  I saw that a couple of weeks ago at Santa Catalina.  The guy swore the place he was staying had bed bugs.   All of us were getting stung ( I call it mini-annoying stings) .  He was wearing a short sleeved surf shirt.  Only place he had the hives/rash was his arms neck and some on the legs. ...places he was exposed to the ocean water surface.  If it was bed bugs, he'd have the bites on his back, belly hips and legs.  Nope....mal agua got him..marine agents.

( at least they put up a sign and let you know....like no secret agents here !)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...