Upgrade to windows 10 ????

• Administrators

An interesting topic here. Given that I am very dependent on reliable computing resources, I tend to stay behind the cutting edge on both software upgrades and operating system upgrades. All of my computers (seven of them, ouch :o) have remained on Windows 7 Ultimate until recently. About ten days ago I upgraded a less important machine to Windows 10, and have regretted it ever since. Will be going back to Windows 7 Ultimate on that machine. That retrograde will be done as a complete re-imaging, not a downgrade.

My suggestion for those considering upgrading to Windows 10 is to go into new operating systems very slowly. I do understand that many people have upgraded and are happy with Win 10. I am happy for them. Wish I could be one of them, but experience tells me otherwise.

On a related matter, because of the pain of this recent Win 10 upgrade experience, I decided to venture into Linux land. Used my oldest machine, which was still functional but of little utility, and as of yesterday I am now running Linux on it. The conversion was quite simple. The functionality is impressive. Everything works, and the bottom line for me is that machine probably has been given a new life because of the conversion to Linux. I used it this morning for the complete review/management duties of our CL website, and there were absolutely no problems.

For the technically curious, I went with Ubuntu Linux, version 14.04.3 LTS Desktop. And the best part is that it was all free. Took less than 2 hours. Granted, all data was lost on the C: drive, given the manner in which I chose to install, but even that is not a requirement. If anyone wishes to check into Ubuntu a bit more, click here: http://www.ubuntu.com/.

For those interested in Linux, be sure to check out Linux Mint.   http://linuxmint.com/   It is aimed at beginners and it works exceptionally well on older machines.   I have been using it for the last few years and am quite happy with it.   Linux is a little bit on the geek side but it can be configured to look like a Mac or like Windows, so there is very little of a learning curve once it is installed and configured.   I run some of my older Windows programs on Linux since it has the ability to emulate a Windows environment.   

• 2 weeks later...

I just stopped by this group to see what you Windows people were experiencing.  I switched to MAC 7 years ago and have been in heaven ever since.  Then Steve Jobs died!  I said at the time...."now it will get strange" and indeed it has.   MAC people don't have to pay for upgrades, and I have upgraded through about 5 operating systems with no problem.   THEN, (now that Jobs is dead) they come out with El Capitan and I am in HELL.  I actually told MAC support that "I feel like I'm in Windows-land again".   I have actually gone through trying to reinstall my previous OS, Yosemite, but that didn't work because my backup data wouldn't convert between the 2, so I went back to El Capitan.  Ever since I am on the phone with MAC support constantly.   I was just about to go to David and buy a new MAC (they still have Yosemite OS in them), but then thought..."maybe Windows has finally got its "s__t" together with a decent operating system.   Now that I read all these nightmare comments, I guess I'll stick with MAC and either figure it out with my machine or buy a new MAC.  Thanks for giving me some insight into Windows.

Different flavors of Linux have been available for Macs for quite a few years now. Ubuntu 14.04 is what I run on my Macs and is a good, but not only choice. The oldest Mac I have is 7 years old and it runs with absolutely no problems. Maybe even runs faster, but I haven't tested it. It is mature software for Macs, so you won't have the teething problems like the other OSs.

1 hour ago, PenRip said:

Bud....are you saying that you can put Linux on a MAC?

That I don't know. I hear things like Linux should work on a Mac machine, but I do not have experience, nor am I recommending it.

I put Linux on a former Windows 7 machine.Completely wiped out Windows. I am very happy with Linux on that machine.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2015 at 2:51 PM, JoJo said:

Sorry Roger.  This is the story I've heard from so many others. Only one person ever said it was okay, not great, but okay.

I solved the problem I had with Windows 10..... I bought a new computer with the Windows 10 already installed.   I am right now moving all my files and software from the old computer to the new one.

I needed to change computer.  It was with me more than 4 years.  I only got 4mb of Ram Memory and an almost full hard disk of 250Gb.  

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, this might be easier and you will not have to search for the specific KB patches.   If you download the file I have attached here, it is a utility that will turn off the Windows 10 upgrade notifications.   It will also allow you to delete the hidden Windows 10 files that have been downloaded to your computer, waiting for you to upgrade.   Run the program, it is self-explanatory.   If you have problems, let me know and I will assist you.   This works on Windows 7 and Windows 8, 8.1

win10.exe

Edited by Twin Wolf Technology Group

• 1 month later...

You can stop MS from installing the Windows 10 prep file that makes the icon in the toolbar.  You have to set your automatic updates to "let me choose what to install".  Don't let the monthly updates install automatically.

When you see the install screen, click on the option to view what is being installed.

If you see a file: 3035583, opt not to install it.  This is the file that sneaks the prep for Win 10 on your computer.  Right click on it and check "Hide Update".  This will keep it from downloading in the future.

If it is already installed, go to Programs & Features in Start menu, find the file, right click on it and choose Uninstall, select "restart later", right click and check "hide update", then restart.

If at some point you want this file so you can install Win 10:

1. Search "Windows Update" in Start menu

2.  Select "Check for Updates

3. Find file 3035583 and uncheck "Hide Update"