Upgrade to windows 10 ????

I get a notice every day saying I can upgrade to windows 10 for free.

I currently have windows 7 and don't want any of the problems that people had with windows 8. I'm happy with windows 7. I'm inclined to think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". What do the techies say?

Penny,

If they haven't done so yet they will stop the upgrades to Win 7. I liked it also. I'm now in Win 8.1. I've gotten used to it but it was painfull. You won't need to change until some of your programs or features start to fail you that will not associate with Win 7. And, here's what happens to me and Win 10. Microsoft has attached an icon to my computer saying I can upgrade to Win 10. Well, I have been trying to inflict more pain on my self and install Win 10 free and it keeps telling me to wait. Well, I have been waiting for months. lol Stay with Win 7 as long a you can!!! 

Penny, As Hil suggested, don't change until you have to. We got a new laptop before we moved to Panama and had no choice. I hated 8.1, it was awful to have to relearn how to use my computer. Then we upgraded free to 10 when it became available. Not much different than 8.1 that I could see but after a couple of months the laptop locked up and we have to that it in for repair. It was caused by a glitch in 10. Keep what you have as long as you can! Lin

They will take Windows 7 from my cold dead hands.  I will not move to 8, 8.1 or 10.  I had the chance to test drive the 10 on a clients computer and I hated it.  I build Apps for a living and I hate Windows 10.  The operating system really is not user friendly.  If they force me to move to 10, I will format both to Linux or just toss them under the bus, literally! Not figuratively.  I think I made my point.

There is the Apple.

• Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Hil said:

Penny,

If they haven't done so yet they will stop the upgrades to Win 7. I liked it also. I'm now in Win 8.1. I've gotten used to it but it was painfull. You won't need to change until some of your programs or features start to fail you that will not associate with Win 7. And, here's what happens to me and Win 10. Microsoft has attached an icon to my computer saying I can upgrade to Win 10. Well, I have been trying to inflict more pain on my self and install Win 10 free and it keeps telling me to wait. Well, I have been waiting for months. lol Stay with Win 7 as long a you can!!! 

They will support Win 7 till 2020 so certainly no rush to move on. My advise is to stay with 7 as long as possible.

39 minutes ago, Penny said:

I get a notice every day saying I can upgrade to windows 10 for free.

I currently have windows 7 and don't want any of the problems that people had with windows 8. I'm happy with windows 7. I'm inclined to think "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". What do the techies say?

You can get rid of that annoying update icon and the fear that you will be automatically "upgraded".  Do the following:

1. Click on the Start button and type Programs and Features.  A screen will pop up showing that as the first item.  Click on it.

2.  Click View Installed Updates.  Find the following file:  3035583

3.  Right click that and select Uninstall

4.  Select Restart Later

5.  Restart

To keep it from downloading again in the future:  Turn off automatic installation of updates.  Choose the other option that allows you to choose to install.  Before installing the monthly updates, look at them to be sure they didn't add in 3035583 again.  If they did, hide it per the following, and it probably won't bother you again.

1.  Search Windows Update in the start menu (or get to it from Control Panel)

2.  Select Check for Updates.  You should see the update listed above.

3.  Right click it and choose Hide Update.

If you want Win 10 later, just undo the last set of instructions.

• Upvote 1

Fear of the unknown?

A techie friend suggested I install Windows 10 on my old desktop in order to overcome some freezing problems I was having using the bootleg Spanish-based version of 7 that Juan's people had installed.

The upgrade install was easy, and I like the results.

If I'm not mistaken. the first Windows 10 update comes out today,

Edited by Keith Woolford

I've had several friends download the Win 10 and hated it, went back to 7.  I've only found one person that was at least satisfied with 10.  

I have to laugh every time I see their TV ad though. Like these little kids in pre-school will ever use Win 10, it will be Win 97 buy the time they are grown.

I did the upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 but I am having a lot of problems and I have two days that I couldn't work on my computer.  I called the technical service of Microsoft but no solution.  I can't return to Windows 7 and I am trying to do my best to solve the problem.  If not I should wipe out all the information in the computer do a restore of my backup files and reinstall all the softwares I had.  This could take at least 3 days doing this.  What a mistake I did.

54 minutes ago, JoJo said:

Sorry Roger.  This is the story I've heard from so many others. Only one person ever said it was okay, not great, but okay.

I did a Restore to a previous date and have the Windows 10 working at half capacity.  I don't have access to the Start Menu, I have no access to Microsoft Edge and Cortana.  Also something happened to my One Drive that I cant access it from the link at my desktop.

I usually didn't jump at any upgrade of software.  I usually do it after some 3 to 4 month after their release because the technical department at the software company could have spotted all the "bugs" and flaws of the software and the latest version will have those problems addressed.  In this case I followed the Update Icon and did the upgrade....now the results are not what I thought and it is affecting my computer performance.

Looks like I am really late to this discussion.  

I have advised all of my clients if you have Windows 7, just keep it and do not upgrade.   If you have Windows 8, then do the upgrade.   In my opinion, there are not enough benefits to jump from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and it does introduce many changes that are not necessarily great or needed.  When in doubt about upgrading, think to yourself how many people lament not upgrading sooner - virtually none, yet there are plenty of those that wish they had not done so.   Microsoft's automatic upgrade to Windows 10 is a trap that many people step into because of the way it is presented.  Besides its "free" (another red flag)   

Take Judy's advice to get rid of the annoying update icon and know that your Windows 7 is perfectly fine.   

Just to present the other side, we have now been running Windows 10 on three different PC's for nearly two months with absolutely zero problems.  Admittedly, Win8 was a monumental disaster for Microsoft. They tried to launch a mobile/tiles interface with touch screen features right on top of hundreds of millions of PC desktop users. It was a really stupid move for MS.

Windows 10 corrects the balance: yes, if you want the mobile/tablet/phone/tiles/apps they are there. But virtually all of the old desktop features & icons function exactly like Win7. And if you use Apple's iPhone you will find that Win10 seamlessly meshes things like your iCloud Calendar & Contacts (PCs and Macs iOS sharing information!)

Win8 was the culprit - - - Win10 is perfectly fine, the best of both worlds within which we presently live . . . and worth the free upgrade.

This time Microsoft got it right.

Edited by John R Hampton

Windows 10 is working fine for me. The computer actually seems to start and run much faster.

The only couple of glitches I've had were with drivers from NVIDIA and Brother that hadn't yet been updated.

By the way, I have previously avoided these upgrades and was someone who still ran Windows 95 when Vista was being introduced.

What does Bud say?

Sometimes I feel that I.m operating in a parallel universe. I upgraded back then to 8.1 right from XP (IIRC) and work from a familiar desktop, no changes to my usual so far as I can tell. Both home and office. But when I jumped on the W10 when it first came out everything froze and I had to restore back to 8.1. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it! I do not understand why anyone thinks there are difficulties with 8.1. Unless you go to the start screen it is no different from 7. And the start screen is kinda fun.

Windows 10 steals your personal information stored in your computer, accesses your files, folders, emails, internet history, etc. etc. Microsoft’s Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare. Here’s how to protect yourself. Read the following two articles.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.1.html

http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952

Edited by Panama Bill
Broken link

• Administrators

Thanks for this information. Those reading this might be interested to know that a side effect of all of the data going from your computer to Microsoft can substantially slow down your computer. And if you share your bandwidth with someone else in your home (e.g., a WiFi access point, etc.) then all users will have less bandwidth for their activities as well.

57 minutes ago, Panama Bill said:

Windows 10 steals your personal information stored in your computer, accesses your files, folders, emails, internet history, etc. etc. Microsoft’s Windows 10 is a privacy nightmare. Here’s how to protect yourself. Read the following two articles.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/08/windows_10_privacy_problems_here_s_how_bad_they_are_and_how_to_plug_them.1.html

http://www.newsweek.com/windows-10-recording-users-every-move-358952

That's the best reason I have ever seen for switching to a Mac.  Or maybe not.  The article says Mac does it too.  Big Brother is here.

Edited by JudyS

My opinion, your privacy disappeared a long time ago.   Microsoft (and all the others) may be getting more and more access to your data but more worrisome  is the government.  The real question about upgrading should be - what is the benefit?   It does not matter if it is a new Windows or a new Mac OS - what are you getting that you did not get before and why do you need it?   If the current mentality about upgrading and buying the latest/greatest were applied to other things, people would be out buying a new car just because it came in a new color. 

The same goes for all the operating systems from Microsoft, Apple, Google etc.   There is no quantum leap in the next version.   Do not fall for "ITS FREE".   Ask yourself what you will get and realize you may very well lose somethings you have in the process.   Yes Windows 10 works better compared to Windows 8.   Is it better or give you something you can not do without from Windows 7?   I highly doubt it.

From a technology guy - permit yourself to get off the eternal upgrade hamster wheel.  It goes nowhere.

• Upvote 2

I have been using Win10 since it went public, on four different devices, with no problems whatsoever. In fact I like it very much, especially the boot speed. 

But then I also liked Win8/8.1. I think a lot of the problem with that was that people didn't know how easy it was to set it to boot straight to a familiar-looking desktop rather than those horrible tiles. 

BTW, if you know what you are looking for, it is very easy to disable those functions in Win10 that upload data to Microsoft. There is a point where it asks you if you want to do a custom or regular install (my words, not theirs). All you need to do is select the custom option and deselect all the data feed options. Sadly Microsoft designed the screen to make almost everyone click on the regular install button without even realising it was an important choice in the install process.

Edited by Ceri
  • Upvote 2