Sadly, a sandal located close to a body which was found today has been identified as belonging to Catherine Johannet.

http://m.panamaamerica.com.pa/provincias/cadaver-encontrado-en-bocas-es-de-joven-estadounidense-desaparecida-1058939

Body found in Bocas is of young American disappeared

family of the young American arrive this Monday to Bocas del Toro.

focopxvvv.jpg.23161b1fed7520004b39fa3afaa54f2d.jpg

Leonardo Machuca G.

A friend of Catherine Johannet, approximately 25 years of age, acknowledged in a positive way a sandal which was about 200 meters away from the body found in a landscape in the place known as Wisar in Isla Bastimentos, province of Bocas del Toro.

At seven in the evening of Sunday, the homicide prosecutor of Bocas del Toro, Yioris Villarreal,arrived with his team to the location.

This is a mountainous place with lots of mud and weeds in Isla Bastimentos in the place known as Wisar, which slowed the arrival of the research teams.

The body has to be packed out for an hour to reach the boat launch in Red Frog, another half hour to the Colon Island, from there to the local hospital morgue and the staff will return to Changuinola by boat and then by car for about an hour and a half.

It was learned that the young woman is a native New Yorker who arrived last Sunday to Panama, was in Boquete and Kuna Yala, an last known to be seen on Friday about two in the afternoon in Red Frog.

• Moderators

Moderator comment: The reason for posting this amplifying news article about this tragic loss is to show another image of the location where the body was located. One has to wonder why an unaccompanied female would be in such a location. There has to be more to this story.

5898659e3065b_EncuentranuncadaverinBocasdelToro.thumb.png.bdfad40702459713b1c9fcc19bc0e09a.png

http://www.panamaamerica.com.pa/provincias/encuentran-cadaver-de-una-mujer-en-bocas-del-toro-1058932#cxrecs_s

• Moderators

Body of missing US tourist found

Posted on February 5, 2017 in Panama

Catherine-Johannet-Bocas-Toro-jueves_LPR
Post Views: 3,240

A WIDESPREAD  search    for a 23-year old American backpacking  tourist missing in Bocas del Toro, since Thursday  morning Feb 2    ended Sunday  afternoon when her body  was discovered  reports  the Civil protection Agency (Sinaproc)

Caterine-Johannet-Bastimento-jueves-febrero_9134312-1-276x300.jpg

A notice posted by anxious friends

Catherine Johannet, was last seen Thursday at 10 a.m. on Isla Colón.

She had reportedly been heading for Red Frog Beach. She had been staying in a hostel on Isla Colón, where she left her  belongings.

She had said she was going to Bastimento Island, the site of Red Frog Beach. She was planning to return in the afternoon, but never came back.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/body-missing-us-tourist-found

There have been no reports of indications that she met with foul play. At this point it seems she went walking alone and became lost.

This is thick, nasty jungle. Her body was located only about 400 metres from the beach, it might as well have been 400 kilometers.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, JudyS said:

You ask why an unaccompanied female was in that location?  Perhaps because that's where the killer dumped her body to make it hard to find?

"homicide prosecutor of Bocas del Toro, Yioris Villarreal,arrived with his team to the location. "

The spanish report indicates the body was dumped or tossed.  Suspicious circumstances so the homicide team was called in.  Just guessing, of course.

Strange place to go off on a jaunt.   Mountainous jungle with mud and weeds?   Hey if I was a young gal from snowy New York I'd be hanging by the beach....but that's just me.   Generally walking anywhere alone these days does not seems like a good idea.  Who knows she might have hooked up with a local "guide" who was a bad dude.  I'm sure more will be revealed.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

There have been no reports of indications that she met with foul play. At this point it seems she went walking alone and became lost.

This is thick, nasty jungle. Her body was located only about 400 metres from the beach, it might as well have been 400 kilometers.

"He said police are investigating but have not yet determined  if there was foul play. An autopsy is pending to determine the cause of death"

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/relatives-dead-us-girl-arrive-bocas-del-toro?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsroompanama+(Newsroom+Panama)

My first thought was that she had been killed somewhere else, and her body was dumped in this remote spot.  Odd that several men on the forum assumed she was a foolish woman who went where she shouldn't have been, got lost, and died there.

• Upvote 1

A sad failure of most hotel and hostel owners failing to warn tourists that some places have known problems. This was a very well known danger area to anyone spending time in Bocas although not well publicized. In the majority of tourists I warned about that beach and the path to it and also between Wizard beach and Red Frog beach the vast majority had never been warned.

• Upvote 1

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/eight-detained-death-woman-tourist

Sounds like a roundup of 'the usual suspects'.

Eight detained in death of woman tourist

Posted on February 8, 2017 in Panama

family-620x264.jpg
Family members in Bocas Del Toro
Post Views: 647

EIGHT  people from Isla Bastimentos in Bocas del Toro have been taken into custody as part of the investigation that is being carried out into  the death of  23-year-old American Catherine Johannet whose strangled body found Sunday Feb. 5  near a hiking trail in a wooded area.

Johannet arrived in the province of Bocas del Toro On Thursday February 2 morning and checked into a hostel. Soon after 10 am she left for Isla Bastimentos. When she failed to return, officials from the Civil Protection authority (Sinaproc), The National Police and volunteers  began a widespread  search.

Over 40 extra police have been drafted into the area to assist in the investigations.

Edited by Moderator_02
to include the image from the article

18 hours ago, BlueBird said:

I agree with Keith. Didn't read into previous postings that several men on this forum assumed this woman was foolish.

OK, point taken.

First Grade Drawing - PRICELESS!

A first grade girl handed in the drawing below for her homework assignment.

image0011.jpg.4e66aa3607b0c400e6d3d261970236d7.jpg

The teacher graded it and the child took it home.

She returned to school the next day with the following note:

Dear Ms. Davis,

I want to be perfectly clear on my child's homework illustration.

It is NOT of me on a dance pole on a stage in a strip joint surrounded by male customers with money.

I work at Home Depot and had commented to my daughter how much money we made in the recent snowstorm.

This drawing is of me selling a shovel.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Harrington

Edited by Moderator_02
Inserted missing image
  • Upvote 2

Three of us hiked that same trail last year and had been advised about the muggings etc, from locals!!  After having done it round trip we can easily see that being the case. Obviously their is a local system set up to ambush tourist and somehow this last one got out of hand. Hopefully the powers to be will take notice and get these scum out of there!

It's another bad rep for Panama!

• Upvote 1