Bank and CD Interest Rate Question

Thank you for getting back to me so soon. If you know of any other banks that give a higher interest rate please let me know. I looked I Costa Rica and their bank. Banco Costa Rica gives you 5.87%in a 5 year cd. I was in Liberia this past November.  On line I saw up to 9 % from off shore credit unions if you put it in a retirement account. It says you can't touch the principle or interest for 5years.   But I'm not sure how safe it is 

• 6 months later...

Well, you know, it isn't just the nominal interest rate you need to consider, it is also the rate of inflation that exists in the country/currency you want to invest in. A year ago, Brazil banks were paying 14.5%, but the trouble was inflation was running at 16%, and then there is the cost of conversion back and forth. So far, I have yet to find any fiat currency that covers the actual rate of inflation.

Edited by Roundabout

On 2/1/2017 at 9:50 PM, Denny said:

Thank you for getting back to me so soon. If you know of any other banks that give a higher interest rate please let me know. I looked I Costa Rica and their bank. Banco Costa Rica gives you 5.87%in a 5 year cd. I was in Liberia this past November.  On line I saw up to 9 % from off shore credit unions if you put it in a retirement account. It says you can't touch the principle or interest for 5years.   But I'm not sure how safe it is 

Suggest you ask banks here in Panama or perhaps a financial organization for detailed information to your request.