We know the people who own the former Noriega estate in the Potrerillos area. There is a fence and gate around the property, and knowing them as we do we suspect that they would not appreciate someone trying to visit the estate. I acknowledge that you were not asking to go by for a visit. If you are interested in communicating with them, then let's take this into the PM (private message) mode, and we can discuss further.

Thanks Bud - not interested in visiting the property - have just been curious as to whether the white house on the ridge that we can see from Brisas was Noriega's former home but have since determined it isn't.  Appreciate your efforts.

I live in Potrerillos Arriba and have talked at length with my Panamanian neighbors about Noriega. There are two houses in the area that belonged to Noriega. One property which is just above El Banco is called Pagoda. It was basically Noriega's party house. He entertained guests from various countries and it is rumored that Fidel Castro was there at one time. This house is owned by Americans.The other property is the white house above Pagoda that you can see from the road on the highway to Boquete. The house was built by Noriega but it is questioned whether he spent any time there. I have been on that property several times. The latest I have heard is that the house is owned by the owners of Tia Maria rice company. It has been awhile since I've been there but at the time I was there a caretaker was living in the house. Noriega had another property in Potrerillos Arriba proper called Escondido. It was a farm that had a type of zoo in it. According to my neighbor he had a lot of exotic birds and animals in cages on the property. That property is now the location of the Teen Challenge facility.

4 hours ago, Trish Christofferson said:

I live in Potrerillos Arriba and have talked at length with my Panamanian neighbors about Noriega. There are two houses in the area that belonged to Noriega. One property which is just above El Banco is called Pagoda. It was basically Noriega's party house. He entertained guests from various countries and it is rumored that Fidel Castro was there at one time. This house is owned by Americans.The other property is the white house above Pagoda that you can see from the road on the highway to Boquete. The house was built by Noriega but it is questioned whether he spent any time there. I have been on that property several times. The latest I have heard is that the house is owned by the owners of Tia Maria rice company. It has been awhile since I've been there but at the time I was there a caretaker was living in the house. Noriega had another property in Potrerillos Arriba proper called Escondido. It was a farm that had a type of zoo in it. According to my neighbor he had a lot of exotic birds and animals in cages on the property. That property is now the location of the Teen Challenge facility.

Thanks for the additional information about Noriega's land holdings in Chiriqui.

My prior posting was pertaining to Finca La Pagoda.

3 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

There is also a Noriega property in Dolega next to the cemetery which became problematic when expansion was necessary a few years back.

Pretty sure we can assume he didn't actually purchase too many of these properties.

Was not aware of the Dolega holdings.

I do not believe Noriega would have any problem buying anything he wanted. Head of the country that was laundering much of the Latinamerican drug money pays very well. He owned a house near the police station where he spent time while in David. The places up the hill were for impressing guests and/or hideaways for partying. The house in David is in the Primavera area, a plain, middle-class neighborhood.  He also still owns the beachfront place near Farallon, but it is falling down.

I once visited the house, which is in the El Banco area of Potrerillos. Among other interesting features, it has a helicopter pad and a secret room/compartment that, according to the then owner, had not been explored by him. The then owner, Bill Streit, had done substantial improvements to the house, but it still had a very historic look. After Bill's untimely death, the property was for sale for a while, but I haven't heard anything since.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Trish Christofferson said:

The property that had all of his exotic animals is run by the Teen Challenge out of David. The young boys are housed there. They had to seperate the girls and boys. The girls are housed between the Bomberos and Chiriqui Hospital in David on the same street. A few of us did some volunteer work at the boys place near Portrerillos. The animal pens and main buildings are still there. The minister that runs the place has all the history. He says; "This is where Noriega kept his girls for partying and for his visiting friends. It is not in good shape and the minister operates on donations. The locals burned the place during the invasion." All that was left were the blocks and concrete structures. The roofs, doors and windows were repaired. It is a beautiful piece of property. The kids garden, raise cows, hogs, sheep and goats. They are self contained and it is in serious need of donations such  as rice, beans, and other things such as mattresses and chairs. 

11 hours ago, Bonnie said:

I once visited the house, which is in the El Banco area of Potrerillos. Among other interesting features, it has a helicopter pad and a secret room/compartment that, according to the then owner, had not been explored by him.

During "Just Cause" the US Military went to the house and opened the secret room. There is no written report of what they found but they apparently took whatever they found.