Seems there was a Big bicycle team gathering in Boquete today (Saturday). Difficult driving and streets closed off. Did anyone see/hear about this scheduled meeting? Did the police notify us about the crowds and street closures? Oh, I wish for information to avoid this type of traffic problems.

• Moderators

Stepping in here, even though not invited, I would think that the police department should pick whatever method/channel they wish to use and then let the public know that is how they get information out to the public. It could be Twitter, Facebook, their website (if they have one), a written public notice posted somewhere, e.g., the post office or the mayor's office, grocery store, etc. Then it would be up to those interested to plug into that channel. As a CL moderator, if such information were available we would get it and republish to get the word out to a larger audience. (Note that CL currently has over 1,000 members.)

I am writing this both as a CL moderator and someone who got stopped by the police while in town because some streets were closed. What a mess earlier today. It is okay to close streets for whatever reason the authorities deem appropriate. But if they know in advance that it is going to happen, then just let the public know. A bicycle event of this magnitude had to be planned and coordinated well in advance.

13 minutes ago, JudyS said:

That information might be on the local radio. 

Correcto, the key word being might.

Public events, like public works, carry far more weight than minor inconveniences, so complaints about disruptions to traffic flow are going to fall on deaf ears.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Moderator_02 said:

Stepping in here, even though not invited, I would think that the police department should pick whatever method/channel they wish to use and then let the public know that is how they get information out to the public. It could be Twitter, Facebook, their website (if they have one), a written public notice posted somewhere, e.g., the post office or the mayor's office, grocery store, etc. Then it would be up to those interested to plug into that channel. As a CL moderator, if such information were available we would get it and republish to get the word out to a larger audience. (Note that CL currently has over 1,000 members.)

I am writing this both as a CL moderator and someone who got stopped by the police while in town because some streets were closed. What a mess earlier today. It is okay to close streets for whatever reason the authorities deem appropriate. But if they know in advance that it is going to happen, then just let the public know. A bicycle event of this magnitude had to be planned and coordinated well in advance.

In your dreams, Bud.

Edited by Bonnie

3 hours ago, Pat said:

So where on my radio dial are "the local radio" broadcasts? Spanish or in English?

Spanish not a problem, but what time are the announcements?

Spanish of course.  I don't listen to the radio.  They talk too fast for me to understand, but local people depend on the radio to hear about what is going on.  I can't tell you where the local broadcasts are.  There aren't that many, so just go up and down the dial.