I have tried to purchase lettuce at three different stores (both David and Boquete) without success. Sometimes nothing available. One store had lettuce that had been on the shelf a long time, turning brown. Ugh. Ideas?

In the new Mercado across from Romero's there are a few stalls that are now selling the same lettuce as Anna's at the Tuesday market. Not always, but most of the time.

And the prices are great and the lettuce always looks fresh and stays that way in the refrigerator for a few days! Get to know a few of these vendors and shop weekly and they will get you what you want, if they can.

Dorado Mercado has green leafy/romaine lettuce at times, as well.

http://www.raw-food-health.net/Iceberg-Lettuce-Nutrition.html

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/lettuce.html

Or go to the source and buy from Rodrigo.

"It's up in El Santuario. Take the Main Street north out of town to the "Y" where there are 2 small stores, one on either side of the street. Note - on the right side is "Milqui Burger" and a bus stop. Take the right fork there, cross the bridge and continue up the hill. As the road curves to the left you'll see another bus stop and a road that goes straight ( right fork in road). Take the right option and keep going up the hill. You'll soon see the castle. That's El Santuario. Follow the signs to Villa Marita. The greenhouses are right behind Villa Marita  You will need to arrive before 9:30 a.m. to purchase lettuce. They are closed on Sunday"

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2017 at 11:27 AM, Pat said:

I have tried to purchase lettuce at three different stores (both David and Boquete) without success. Sometimes nothing available. One store had lettuce that had been on the shelf a long time, turning brown. Ugh. Ideas?

I get various kinds without problem -- from either the Garden at SF Plaza (they stock up on Mondays), or Anna at the Tue market, or various stalls in the Mercado, or even Romero or Deli Baru.  Just depends where I am when I need it.   But I prefer the kind with the roots still wrapped compared to the hydroponic, since the hydroponic comes in a plastic container.