Just emphasizing that these are one time fees for imported vehicles.

Since all cars are imported here, new cars under $15k. will have an increase of $90 in registration costs, whereas a vehicle with a value of $30,000 will go up by about $290.

Luxury cars will pay big time as will second hand cars being imported.

These are registration fees, not duties or taxes, so before anyone asks, there's no Pensionado discount or exemptions.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Just emphasizing that these are one time fees for imported vehicles.

Since all cars are imported here, new cars under $15k. will have an increase of $90 in registration costs, whereas a vehicle with a value of $30,000 will go up by about $290.

These are registration fees, not duties or taxes, so before anyone asks, there's no Pensionado discount or exemptions.

The article says those fee increases apply to imported vehicles.  If I bought a Toyota from Ricardo Perez in Panama, is that considered an imported vehicle?  Panama does not manufacture cars, so every car here is imported at some point.  Does the increase apply only to cars individuals import, or to all cars?  It is not clear.   Will I have to pay $100 every year now to get my new plates?

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, JudyS said:

The article says those fee increases apply to imported vehicles.  If I bought a Toyota from Ricardo Perez in Panama, is that considered an imported vehicle?  Panama does not manufacture cars, so every car here is imported at some point.  Does the increase apply only to cars individuals import, or to all cars?  It is not clear.   Will I have to pay $100 every year now to get my new plates?

I'm aware that a lot of people from the U.S. call the annual Plate renewal fee here a 'registration fee', but that is a misnomer, it's an operation or circulation fee. A vehicle is only registered once, after it has been imported. The Registro Unico Propiedad Vehicular or Title is issued at that time.

one time fees for imported vehicles.

all cars are imported here, new cars under $15k. will have an increase of $90 in registration costs, whereas a vehicle with a value of $30,000 will go up by about $290.

Currently registered used vehicles are not affected.

Edited by Keith Woolford
  • Upvote 1

No doubt most of these 'complaints' come from new car dealerships and used vehicle importers, who like the market just the way it is and don't want to hear about anything that might scare off potential buyers.

With more vehicles on the road all the time, the Transit Authority has to spend more to try to keep the highways and biways safe to drive on.

People:

The increasing popular pressure it is building up quickly. This new fee that is proposed by the ATTT will have some legal claims in order to eliminate it. There are citizens and lawyers that will accuse the Director of the ATTT to propose this law without doing a popular consulting with the people involved and interested. Also it is going against one the campaign promises done by the president Varela that he will never increase any tax, fees, rates, etc that could affect the people in the country. Also it will be also presented to the Supreme Court as inconstitutional because it did not follow the normal procedure. People will start protesting and according to the lack of popularity it has, soon the government will have to go back.