Reputation issues in a long thread

• Administrators

I need to be precise in my wording. Please do not be offended.

First of all, I have no clue what you refer to by the terms "home page" or "main page".

Registered members who are logged in are provided an option to "raise" (green) or "lower" (red) the reputation (that is the specific terminology used by our software application developers) of the poster (the originator) with respect to that post, with two exceptions. The first exception is that an originator is not permitted to vote on their own reputation. That scenario results in neither the green nor the red voting buttons (icons) appearing.

The second exception is that there is a daily limit of 25 green votes and a separate daily limit of 25 red votes for each member. For example, if a member is aggressively using their green votes on one particular day, when they get to the 25 limit, then the green (or red, or both) icons disappear until the next day. The 25 limit is configurable; I chose that number to provide a moderate amount of "throttling down" to guard against potential abuse.

Once a vote has been recorded, then the icon that was used disappears because they are allowed to raise or lower reputation only once per post. The unused icon remains visible because the "voter/reader" can change their mind and reverse their earlier vote back to neutral, or go even further to the opposite vote. Try it.

In the interest of full disclosure, the rightmost of the three icons is a running total of all votes for that post. That means that everyone can see the net sum of all votes for that post, but they can affect a change by only one number in either direction. If there are no votes, the that icon is zero and white colored. If the net is positive, the the net sum shows with a green icon, etc. No one is permitted to see who voted; they only see the net arithmetic sum.

If your experience with reputation votes and icons differs from the above description, then please provide me with screen captures.

• Administrators

Reputation only shows as green (or red) on the activity stream display when the reputation value for a post is non-zero. Given that only a small percentage of posts have a reputation vote associated with them, most are zero values and display in monochrome. I believe that answers your original question/comment.

Screen captures are operating system specific. Since one is not needed, I won't bore you with the details at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
23 minutes ago, Gail Anstey said:

what is a reputation vote and/or value?

Registered members can "vote" on whether they like a posting by someone. The "vote" can be either positive (they like it, and colored green) or negative (they don't like it, and colored red). The criterion used by a member in deciding his/her vote is his/her own choice. Reputation voting is not required, but available if desired. The net sum of all reputation votes for each member is reflected in their profile. Members cannot see who provided their reputation, only what the net arithmetic value is. Each reputation vote counts +1 or -1.

Please see http://www.chiriqui.life/topic/505-what-is-a-reputation-via-notifications/ for additional information about reputation.