Supreme Court Upholds ASEP Fines / Penalties Against Public Utilities (Electricity, Telecoms, Water, etc.)

EDECHI is an acronym, more or less meaning "Electrical Distribution Company Chiriqui". It's the distribution arm of Gas Natural Fenosa, our supplier of electricity. You will see that name on your electric bill.

The entity had been fined $250,000 in July 2015 for poor performance due to lack of maintenance by ASEP, the body which oversees electrical services.

The fine has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

asep-620x264.jpg
Share:Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone
Post Views: 96

A $250,000 FINE  imposed on the Chiriquí Electric Distribution Company (EDECHI) for failure to comply with current electricity regulations, has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

The fine was set by the National Authority of Public Services (ASEP)

The Third Chamber of the Court in a unanimous decision  ruled that “there was a lack of maintenance in several circuits in the province of Chiriquí,”

An estimated 390 irregularities were detected in areas that supply more than 40,000 customers. The court ruled that the company should have addressed these problems.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/250000-dine-electricity-distributors-upheld

Edited by Keith Woolford

They could fine them $250.000 more as far as I'm concerned. After undergoing an eight-hour outage yesterday, my power was off today from 2:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. while numerous friends reported that they had electricity.  I was in a panic about the food in my refrigerator and freezer. I called Rodny around 6:00 p.m. (delayed because Mas Movil was out of service for several hours), and he said he understood that everything was back up. I told him that at least Palo Alto and Jaramillo were without and had been without for at least 16 hours. Within 15 minutes, I had electricity.

Kudos to Rodny! (Maybe somebody forgot to flip a switch?)

Edited by Bonnie

10 hours ago, Bonnie said:

They could fine them $250.000 more as far as I'm concerned. After undergoing an eight-hour outage yesterday, my power was off today from 2:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. while numerous friends reported that they had electricity.  I was in a panic about the food in my refrigerator and freezer. I called Rodny around 6:00 p.m. (delayed because Mas Movil was out of service for several hours), and he said he understood that everything was back up. I told him that at least Palo Alto and Jaramillo were without and had been without for at least 16 hours. Within 15 minutes, I had electricity.

Kudos to Rodny! (Maybe somebody forgot to flip a switch?)

Bonnie,

You are a good friend, and I am very happy for you as I read that you now have your electrical service back again, even if somewhat inconsistently. However, there is little sympathy on my part, given that we are going into DAY FOUR without service and still counting. In the interest of fairness, I do understand that there are a lot of people without service and that they have to set priorities.

Recall that I first came here in 2001. Our home is in El Santuario. My prior outage record was 3.5 days. Before that there several two and three day outages. That is why we have a generator so that we don't keep loosing our frozen foods and being without communications. A new record is being set; I wonder what the number will end up being!

Our current service interruption started last Sunday afternoon. I have been calling Union Fenosa multiple times daily, and have yet to talk with a customer service rep (CSR) who I felt was well trained, or even somewhat compassionate. I get the feeling the CSRs want me to apologize for disturbing them. It was only yesterday afternoon that I was finally able to get them to issue a ticket number for my trouble call.

My Spanish is not that good, but I suspect some of the CSR responses were worse than rude (giving them the benefit of the uncertainty). When I ask them to speak more slowly (despacio o lentamente, por favor), they only speak more rapidly or repeatedly respond with 'no inglés', even though I was speaking [admittedly not good] Spanish.

What has anyone learned from this recent/ongoing experience? Why is undergrowth in close proximity to the power lines not routinely cleared away? This scenario will surely be repeated at the next bad weather cycle.

And so I echo your sentiments -- let the fines begin.

23 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

EDECHI is an acronym, more or less meaning "Electrical Distribution Company Chiriqui". It's the distribution arm of Gas Natural Fenosa, our supplier of electricity. You will see that name on your electric bill.

The entity had been fined $250,000 in July 2015 for poor performance due to lack of maintenance by ASEP, the body which oversees electrical services.

asep-620x264.jpg
Share:Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Email this to someone

A $250,000 FINE  imposed on the Chiriquí Electric Distribution Company (EDECHI) for failure to comply with current electricity regulations, has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

The Third Chamber of the Court in a unanimous decision  ruled that “there was a lack of maintenance in several circuits in the province of Chiriquí,”

An estimated 390 irregularities were detected in areas that supply more than 40,000 customers. The court ruled that the company should have addressed these problems.

http://www.newsroompanama.com/news/panama/250000-dine-electricity-distributors-upheld

Our electricity outage started before a lone tree fell across a power line. No power for four (4) days and I'm tired of cold cereal and instant coffee.:S

I think EDECHI has earned several more $250,000 fines. Ugh!

11 hours ago, Marcelyn said:

Our electricity outage started before a lone tree fell across a power line. No power for four (4) days and I'm tired of cold cereal and instant coffee.:S

I think EDECHI has earned several more $250,000 fines. Ugh!

Yeah!  Late Wednesday we finally have electricity. Took 3-1/2 days. :)

On 1/10/2017 at 8:00 AM, Keith Woolford said:

asep-620x264.jpg

After 3 days without power, I think that fine is well deserved.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Moderator_02 changed the title to Supreme Court Upholds ASEP Fines / Penalties Against Public Utilities (Electricity, Telecoms, Water, etc.)