BanNING Ning, at least newning

There is some good value recorded on the old Ning that would be good to be included on Chiriqui.Life.  The discussions that people talked about all the reasons for moving to Panama (or from where they were) were some of the best.

The current discussions on newning are mostly between Canadians talking about stuff that isn't Panama related.

So, what are the best and worst things about living in Panama, keeping in mind that best/worst in Bugaba and David may be different.

• Downvote 1

The best?...the people of Panama.   Kind folks.  
The climate of Boquete.  The beauty of the countryside.  Peaceful life here.

The worst?   Youth who have elected to choose the criminal path egged on by adult pros.....gangs.  Violent home invasions.   Frankly when we came here over 8 years ago we anticipated exactly what is happening now.   So you secure your home and use good common sense in how you conduct yourself.  The fact that Panama law allows freedom to children who commit heinous crimes is a real concern.

• Upvote 1

Well frankly the folks left over there are are new people  who seem to be the most conversant.  It's the blind leading the blind as far as I can see.  Meanwhile...time to move on.  The problems over there are of the administration's own making and I have zero sympathy.

Edited by Brundageba
add words for clarity
  • Upvote 1

The problem with having a forum comprised largely of newcomers is that they are still in the "honeymoon phase" of living abroad. Without the injection of some history and reality by the veterans, many discussions become meaningless and misleading.

• Upvote 2

I don't think that was a "hit" on Canadians as much as posts there are not much related to anything Boquete or Panama in general that are of any use.  Lots of new names I see over there, political discussions  that are more conspiracy paranoia essays too painful to get through reading with quips that last for pages.  Dumb banter seems the preferred fodder.  Less and less traffic in comments from folks that have lived here for any length of time.  Once and awhile a community announcement appears from one of them.  It won't last long at that rate. Lee's dream died.

The problem with having a forum comprised largely of newcomers is that they are still in the "honeymoon phase" of living abroad. Without the injection of some history and reality by the veterans, many discussions become meaningless and misleading.

I like the honeymoon reference.  Many times when I was assigned overseas, the team I was in would discuss 3 phases of deployment: honeymoon, the slog in the middle, and the euphoria of preparing for repatriation. When relocating from one's home country, the realization that the slog is permanent is too much for many people.

As with most relationships, it is tough to keep the honeymoon alive.

Not sure which is more interesting, the moderator's and the new member's comments on ning, or the interest their members have in posted discussions.

Another Home Invasion, 3 comments.  Fantastic Donuts, 25 comments.

This is too funny!  A keen observation on your part.  I believe you have figured out the people over there in "Ning Land".B|

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Penny said:

Let's all pray that Walter doesn't get bounced and decide to wander over this way.

I can actually deal better with meanness than the eternal drivel of Walter.

The South of France gets Waldo in January.

Maybe it will have a Ning for him obsess over.

For those that do not visit Ning, here is a screen shot of Al's post.   I suspect it was in response to an email Ning recently sent out announcing new advertising rates.   I am proud to say I have service with Planet Telecom.   Nicely said Al.   It will be interesting to watch what the other advertisers do.

ningAlc.jpg

Edited by Twin Wolf Technology Group
  • Upvote 3

I like Walter.  I suspect Ambreen pays him handsomely to keep ning going!  In the letter she sent to old, and prospective advertisers she said, " Thousands of page views per day, one recent member post STIMULATED over 1o,ooo page views in 2 short days."  (It was Walter's post, English for Expats)!    "Ning has a huge amount of traffic from Boquete residents, overseas investors, (B.S.!), visitors, and those thinking about moving to Boquete."

Following is a letter she sent to a request for advertising rates...

Dear .............,

Welcome to the new Boquete Ning partner program. Our team has spent the past 3 months observing the interaction of the Boquete community with Boquete Ning.

We have identified multiple opportunities for businesses such as yours to start improving community visibility on Ning. Boquete Ning will be a super charged interactive site for users and businesses alike in the near future. The goal is to get the locals to participate on Ning under many platforms, create opportunities for the sponsor partners to maximize your while providing great content & exposure to help everyone succeed. For literally only about $1 per day, you can reach countless locals and thousands who are considering to be part of our community. Check out our options, maximize your exposure for success. 

Introductory spots are available, enroll now.

All the best,

Ambreen Ghazi
Ning Administrator

Edited by Chica de Chiriqui
  • Upvote 1

These words needed to be said by local clients who advertised over there on Ning.  Recent acquisition of the Boquete Ning was apparently a "for profit" endeavor.  Seeking new advertisers was it's apparent aim.  So why the guillotine to those who contributed since the Ning onset now almost 8 years ago?  It beats me (and most of us who departed either by the guillotine or by choice).  When each of us left,so did 8 years of valuable asset to this Boquete Ning site...our contributions.  Years of our lives here by trials and errors and the fruit of that left the Boquete.Ning building.   All the beautiful photos of the area collected by some of the best photographers in town ...gone to leave crude jokes and insulting remarks  with a few scattered Boquete shots recently taken. What is now left on the forum are the new names,  and a skeleton crew of oldies still hangin in order to blow a tad of oxygen onto a glimer of an ember left  over there.  Valuable content has been converted to drivel that is just the stuff we are no longer interested in hearing: conspiracy theory and politics.   (I speak for those of us living here now close to a decade ) 

On behalf of all of us here on the CL site I say Thank You.   Thank you Bud for all your work to keep Boquete dialogue alive and healthy. 

• Upvote 1