Since early in 2016 I have been using Mobile Recharge to recharge my iPhone. I went to their website today and found that Mas Movil, my provider, no longer is an option. So I'm exploring alternatives and seeking advice from more knowledgeable phone users.

I dislike the inconvenience of phone cards. I'm not a big phone user, so I tend to feel that a monthly plan would be a waste of money. However, I don't really know what plans exist, and the lack of English speakers in the C&W office makes it difficult to determine. Can anyone offer information and advice?

We occasionally do what Pederhaney says, and then we aperiodically also buy a small supply (quantity five to ten) of Mas Movil's scratch-off cards, the $5.00 version, so that we don't have to go to the C&W office all that often.

As an aside I have the same cell number (but not the same phone) that I have had from the early 2000 era (which I got from Geovana Caballero when she worked at the C&W office in David). She no longer works for C&W, which is good for her but not good for us gringos needing good customer service. Our cell service is prepaid service just like Bonnie uses, which is something that works well for us since we are not big users of cell service here.

Although I see that Bonnie doesn't care for them, I actually like the MasMovil scratch cards because it's a pay-as-you-use system, there is no billing to deal with, and I don't have to sign any blank authorizations to my Credit Card.  Also, never have to visit the C&W office.

Typically I buy two $15 cards per month, one for data and the other for phone time.

Edited by Keith Woolford

On 11/30/2016 at 7:43 AM, Bonnie said:

Since early in 2016 I have been using Mobile Recharge to recharge my iPhone. I went to their website today and found that Mas Movil, my provider, no longer is an option. So I'm exploring alternatives and seeking advice from more knowledgeable phone users.

I dislike the inconvenience of phone cards. I'm not a big phone user, so I tend to feel that a monthly plan would be a waste of money. However, I don't really know what plans exist, and the lack of English speakers in the C&W office makes it difficult to determine. Can anyone offer information and advice?

Here's a C&W recharge online option.  I haven't tried it lately.  If you go with a plan instead of pre-paid, they are offering 100 phone minutes and 2 GB of data/month for $14.99.  They also have promotions that give more phone time and more data for a lower price.

https://cwp.merchantprocess.net/Security/ClientLogin

Edited by JudyS

On 12/1/2016 at 8:16 AM, JudyS said:

Here's a C&W recharge online option.  I haven't tried it lately.  If you go with a plan instead of pre-paid, they are offering 100 phone minutes and 2 GB of data/month for $14.99.  They also have promotions that give more phone time and more data for a lower price.

I just set up an account so I could recharge online (a lengthy process).  Then I successfully recharged my phone using this online account.  So it does work.

We do the same as Penderhaney...go in about every 6-8 weeks and add $10 or $20 dollars with Carmen. We always ask what the special ( Ofertas especiales ) deals are and buy them. You get a ton of minutes. We are on an unlimited data plan for $11.40 prepaid on our CC every month.

Speak a bit of spanish with Carmen and you will have a new friend!

Is Carmen the one at the desk, or is she the cashier?

I went in yesterday to inquire about plans. Although there were two desks for service reps, one marked "English spoken" but vacant, there was only one rep. A woman was being helped, and there was one other person ahead of me. I waited 45 minutes for what, I couldn't help but overhear, was a standard, uncomplicated transaction. Then, just as I was approaching the desk, the Internet went down. I have lived here nine years and have visited the Cable and Wireless office many times. I've never waited less than 20 minutes to be helped--and usually more. If I had to look forward to doing that every 6 to 8 weeks just to get minutes on my phone, I would need therapy. The scratch off cards are looking better and better.

Edited by Bonnie

We have a monthly (data only) plan for ~$11 per month for which we pay automatically by credit card (you have to go to the office in Boquete to get this setup).  For minutes we use the +Movil website to top up - see below.  You have to top up every 3 months or they will suspend your account - this is important to us because we used to buy 1 year's worth of minutes ($30 - $40) at a time.

Edited by Joyful