Effects of the U.S. election results on expatriation to Boquete

23 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Now that elections in the U.S. are finally over, what kind of fallout can we expect here in Boquete as a result of the outcome? Increased or diminished expatriation from the U.S. to our area? 

I guess that some Boquete residents will move back to USA now that the country will be great again and economy will improve and increase.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/9/2016 at 11:35 AM, Keith Woolford said:

Now that elections in the U.S. are finally over, what kind of fallout can we expect here in Boquete as a result of the outcome? Increased or diminished expatriation from the U.S. to our area? 

For whatever it's worth,I've already received two requests from people in my hometown USA for info about Panama. Both are liberal Democrats.

I think we were likely to see an influx of Americans regardless of who had won the election. Both candidates had high disapproval ratings and the intensity against each of them was very strong. There are large numbers of Americans of all political stripes who were disgusted with this particular choice of candidates. 

I'm sure we'll  see some "political refugees" visiting the area  in upcoming weeks. We do live in interesting times.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnF13 said:

Funny that some folks (until about midnight on November 8th) were all for elections and the people's right to choose....Oh, wait, that only counts if MY guy/gal wins.  Suck it up folks, you have a new President elect. 

Rather than "suck it up", I choose to vomit it out.

4 hours ago, Uncle Doug said:

I think we were likely to see an influx of Americans regardless of who had won the election. Both candidates had high disapproval ratings and the intensity against each of them was very strong. There are large numbers of Americans of all political stripes who were disgusted with this particular choice of candidates. 

I'm sure we'll  see some "political refugees" visiting the area  in upcoming weeks. We do live in interesting times.

We seem to have been on an 'out' cycle lately Doug, with more folks leaving the area than arriving. Not all are returning to the homeland though, some are moving on to South America and Europe. So perhaps, as you suggest, we'll see a reversal of that trend.

• Upvote 2

We are "liberals" from the US who have been visiting Panama for almost 4 years with the intention to live here after retirement.  Richard Detrich, in his two books, references the trend being discussed where every 4 to 8 years expats arrive due to the political situation in the US.  i assume in his relatively long tenure that he has seen enough to know that this is a real phenomenon.  I am kind of happy to contemplate that Boquete has been in an out cycle, lately, as rents still seem to be on the increase. So when you see us "liberals" around town in 2017, just know that some of us were on our way here after a long path of discernment and not due to the change in administration! Retirement for us just happens to coincide with the change in the political winds...

There is nothing wrong with having strong political leanings. If it is actually a considered opinion rather than groupthink someone simply adopts, that is a very positive thing. We need more thoughtful opinions.

And we need more people who are willing to be open-minded and willing to consider new ideas, even from "the opposing side."

I have liberal and conservative friends here. To me, I am glad to have a friendly discussion if it comes up. Interesting  issues about economics,  sociology, law, morality, whatever . ... I like tossing that around. I  do have opinions.

But, I left partisan politics behind when I  moved here.  It's  like a burden off my shoulders .  I enjoy the freedom I feel from leaving politics on the other side of the border. 

Just another reason  I  love Boquete .  We all moved here for a reason . Nobody forced us.

Galt's Gulch, for some.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Penny said:

I don't think Boquete will be well served by having the disgruntled street protestors moving here. They probably wouldn't like our torn up streets anyway.

I may start protesting the disruptions in traffic because of the water/sewer works. Add to it the [unknown to me] parade yesterday afternoon, and we almost couldn't get home.

The good news was that I got practice my Spanish with a lady driver going the other direction. Given that we were simply stuck there on the street, I lowered my window (it was misting; not good for a parade!) and I wished her well. She was pleased that a gringo would speak Spanish (Spanglish in my case). 9_9

• Upvote 1

LaPrensa published this article on Monday.

CNBC suggests Panama as a destination for disgruntled US voters

It was named as one of the top five places.

The business television network CNBC suggested Panama as a possible location for Americans to move to if they are upset with the results of Tuesday's presidential election.

In the article entitled: "The five best places to move if you don't like the results of the election," Panama was listed along with Colombia, Ecuador, Costa Rica and Mexico.

"Regardless of who becomes the next president of the United States, Hillary Clinton, or Donald Trump, there will likely be a contingent of disgruntled voters looking for better options abroad," the story said.

The article lauded the destinations for their warm climates and low costs of living. They also provide a respite from the American political climate.

"For many, the low cost of living is an important factor in choosing Panama. Expatriates living in the country have seen how their costs have gone down considerably," said the story.

Founded in 1991, CNBC has an average of 7 million visitors per month to its web site.