Banned From Ning

I don't understand why there are so many people complaining about getting dumped from Ning. You should thank them for eliminating pestilence from your lives.

From what I see, Ning is is a classic dinosaur who doesn't know it is heading for extinction. I no longer go there to read the content.

Please folks, move onward and upward, not backwards.

• Upvote 1

Content?  what content?   Very little there anymore that enriches a person's life here in Boquete and the vicinity.  Fewer posters, less information that has real value to anyone who considers relocating here or improving their life here.  Offputting consipracy theory kinda stuff, political drivel.....and stupid banter.  Yes....it died so why go there. That's pretty much why I left...........kicking an ole timer in the ass while they walk out the door was a classic touch of the administration's maturity level.

Alison (B&A in Brisas...now Brundageba)

Complaining about getting dumped from .ning? No, its more about the loss of an old friend, and about the rude and clueless way the new owners/moderators have behaved. They don't get a pass. People, myself included, are pissed about what these idiots have done, and probably even more about the way in which they have done it. Sure, we can & will all move on - that doesn't mean we forgive these jerk-wads for what they have done.

Edited by Gordon Bakke
  • Upvote 2

Yah know, I really miss Lee Zeltzer.  That said I am so very grateful that Bud took the torch up and ran with it.  It feels like home...a safe and happy place where folks care for one another.  Hey it's not utopia...but by contrast it's a breath of fresh air.......ChiriquiLife.  I'm very thankful.

• Upvote 2

I have to agree, it is not just about being dumped by Ning.   In fact myself and many others just voluntarily quit and closed our accounts back when JLM took over.  There was a dishonesty about keeping their identity hidden that just did not sit right with me.   The thing about Ning is that while Lee owned it, the entire community also took ownership.   Every post, comment, suggestion and even our disagreements were an effort to build and be apart of that community.   Each person took a little bit of ownership.    The total disregard for what everyone had contributed over the eight year period is what was so insulting.   The slash and burn mentality to the membership that followed tore that community apart.  They dumped long standing members, friends of Lee and even community leaders.  By dumping them, they also dumped each of their contributions over the years.

At a time when the community needed it the most - the resource was torn apart.   Many felt assaulted and are still being disparaged by comments from the new management and a some anti-CL members.   It is notable that the original stated purpose of the new management was to make Nng more friendly.   The result has been to not only cause more disharmony but also to destroy the community we built together over those 8 years.   At this point Ning appears to have little direction.   Posts vary from disgusting graphic videos to arguing about how many members they have as they try to justify themselves as being relevant.   Currently, many post are not related to Boquete, Chiriqui or even Panama.  It makes a person wonder why they called the site Boquete Panama.

As I have posted before, Ning is now like a car wreck.   You can't help but look, shake your head and mutter "stupid bastards - what were they thinking?"    I actually think that over the next year we are going to end up with even better resources as Ning fades and the community rebuilds what it lost.  

Lee planted the seed and let it grow.   From the roots of that tree are growing many more despite the loss of the original.

• Upvote 2

What really amazes me is how quickly it all went bad.  Seems that the new owners didn't even boher to research what .ning did but instead imposed their own version of what they think it did.  Yes, we had disagreements and some classic battles, but for the most part interesting information was derived.  Now, pablum.  I cannot believe the 6000 member claim, nor the "we are all happy here", but I don't care anymore.  Yes, I drop into .ning once a day or so, in part to watch the train wreck and in part to see if there is anything interesting.  Right now it is 99% train wreck..

• Upvote 1

The ONLY reason I have a quick peek at ning is to see when they will follow up with a report on my dear friend, Marion.  Their "benevolent" post to collect donations for her, which has appeared as a headline for over one month, has never once been mentioned since.  I would love to know how many of their multitude of members have donated to help with Marion's medical expenses. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, John, I am well aware that Don Ray is the best source, I am in contact with him daily.  I'm only curious whether or not Ambreen will report about Marion, as she subscribes to reading both this site, and Don Ray's Chiriqui Chatter, and doesn't need to rely on rumors.  I also wonder how long she will leave the headline up.

Ning has become the scourge of expat websites, and it is absolutely time for them to close shop, and move on, that is, if they care to go away with any semblance of decency.  Another ning is in the works, which will, again, provide the kind of informative discussions that Lee made possible. 

• Upvote 1

Chiriqui.Life: Your Information Portal

Tell a friend!

Or two, or three, or four!

Let all the business's you support know about CL and, they should be aware of this site and participate!

Perhaps a message from management here, that we can personally send out an email to the companies that we do business with to encourage participation?

All in a positive light of course!

Edited by TwoSailors

Yes, John, I am well aware that Don Ray is the best source, I am in contact with him daily.  I'm only curious whether or not Ambreen will report about Marion, as she subscribes to reading both this site, and Don Ray's Chiriqui Chatter, and doesn't need to rely on rumors.  I also wonder how long she will leave the headline up.

The headline about Marion is gone from ning.  I searched the site and found nothing about her.

The headline about Marion is gone from ning.  I searched the site and found nothing about her.

Yes, it's now: 

POST ANY OF YOUR ITEMS YOU WISH TO SELL ON BOQUETE NING.  FREE OF CHARGE. THE BEST PLACE IN BOQUETE TO SELL YOUR STUFF. 

Buy, Sell, Trade or Wanted

So much for Marion.

Edited by JoJo

• Administrators

Tell a friend!

Let all the business's you support know about CL and, they should be aware of this site and participate!

Perhaps a message from management here, that we can personally send out an email to the companies that we do business with to encourage participation?

TwoSailors,

Assuming that we the management team (actually that means just my wife and myself) here at Chiriqui.Life are correctly understanding your posting, then yes, you have our approval and blessing to approach businesses anywhere in the Chiriqui Province about encouraging them to register and take advantage of this free website.

Our recommendation for commercial registrants is that they not focus on the bulletin board forums, but rather on the blog channel. They can couple their blog postings with the calendar for specific events that are associated with dates. The blog approach gives the blog owner more control over their content (and a bit fewer restrictions) but with all of the same notifications about new content that members see from other channels on this website. The final decision whether to use a blog or the forums is theirs, with the constraint that they would not be allowed to post in both a blog and the forums (that is called spamming). For the calendar events, rather than retyping all of the same information, just put a placeholder calendar entry for the specific dates and times, and a link to the blog posting. It really is a slick way to market their business.

Take a look at the blog for the Boquete Art Café as an example. They post on their blog, and the calendar for their special events. Here is the link to their blog: http://www.chiriqui.life/blogs/blog/16-boquete-art-café/.

Let us know if anyone needs assistance.

Thanks for this wonderful idea. We appreciate all of your help.

According to ning's new owner, Bob Hunter, Judy's question was, "unfair", and he promptly closed the discussion.

The headline asking for financial assistance is gone.  I can't find it any place else except by doing a search of old posts.  You won't allow links to Chiriqui Chatter where all the updates of her are posted.  Have you decided the community no longer cares to read about Marion on ning, or find out how to help her?  She is still in the hospital, and she is still very weak.  This is not an old story to be forgotten.

Views: 359

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Tell a friend!

I think this is the Message or post the so called Debbie Silverman posted at Boquete Ning as a call for destroy that site.  Fear of competition??