Bad snakes.....are out

Okay Bonnie, my mistake on which snake you were referring to.  I didn't question the man. He was serious as a heart attack. Said he wasn't sure if it was what he thought it was so went to google to confirm. He said he stomped it on the head and stunned it them kept stomping on it till it quit moving.

I had no reason to think he was being untruthful. It is what it is. Not my story, I just shared it.

Edited by JoJo

By the way, the Equis (Fer-de-Lance) as it's called here have been found way up on Baru. Some years ago Lee posted a picture of one that had been hung on a stake in the ground along the hiking trail on the mountain. Also, they find them all the time in Alto Jaramillo. Jess posted some very interesting stories on Ning a while back about these varmints. They are found all the way from Southern Mexico to Ecuador, usually in lowland jungle regions, but as we all know, they are really prevalent in CR and Panama. Seems like Caldera and Gualaca might just be the snakiest places in Panama (Brisas too). Allison, I'd be a nervous wreck if I lived where you guys are. I admire your knowledge and bravery around these deadly creatures and thanks for putting out all this info. You're right about asking the locals for their experiences around vipers - they have a healthy fear of these guys and will always say so. They would never consider relocating an Equis, they just kill 'em!

Moth balls....

Now that we have a dog (something new for us) that loves lizard hunting around bushes in the yard I keep mothballs fresh in the beds and on the canyon.  Last week she lept into the air nearly vertical and what was there was a King snake with a young Fer de Lance in it's mouth.  That was a bed I missed with the moth balls.  I worry abut the dog...and fear one day she will get bit.  We try to keep an eye on her and now she has gone from being an outside dog to an inside dog. 

Okay Bonnie, my mistake on which snake you were referring to.  I didn't question the man. He was serious as a heart attack. Said he wasn't sure if it was what he thought it was so went to google to confirm. He said he stomped it on the head and stunned it them kept stomping on it till it quit moving.

I had no reason to think he was being untruthful. It is what it is. Not my story, I just shared it.

I didn't mean to suggest that the man was being untruthful, only that he probably was mistaken. There are many snakes here that resemble the fer de lance. (My gardener considers most any snake of similar colors to be a fer de lance and is quick to decapitate them with his machete. I've made some progress in educating him, but not a lot, I'm afraid.)

I didn't mean to suggest that the man was being untruthful, only that he probably was mistaken. There are many snakes here that resemble the fer de lance. (My gardener considers most any snake of similar colors to be a fer de lance and is quick to decapitate them with his machete. I've made some progress in educating him, but not a lot, I'm afraid.)

No problem Bonnie.  I've had Panamanian grown men panic at a little snake in my hen house that was maybe 6" long and they were intent on hunting it down and killing it. lol