So if a driver is using the left lane illegally, i.e., simply to drive forward, it is not illegal to pass him/her on the right? I assume it's okay to go around them if they have slowed to turn.

Legality aside, I've always felt that, while not risk-free, passing a car that is dawdling in the left lane sometimes is the only way to maintain forward momentum. I've tried beeping them out of the way, but that seldom works as left-lane drivers are a stubborn lot.

I believe I've read that every vehicle must carry a booklet of the driving rules in Panama.  Is that true, and might the answer be in that?

And where are these booklets available?  I don't have one, and I didn't see any available at the drivers license location in Chiriqui Mall.

3 hours ago, Bonnie said:

So if a driver is using the left lane illegally, i.e., simply to drive forward, it is not illegal to pass him/her on the right? I assume it's okay to go around them if they have slowed to turn.

Legality aside, I've always felt that, while not risk-free, passing a car that is dawdling in the left lane sometimes is the only way to maintain forward momentum. I've tried beeping them out of the way, but that seldom works as left-lane drivers are a stubborn lot.

I agree Bonnie.  If someone is putting along slowly in the left lane and is oblivious about moving over, I will pass in the right lane.

7 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

Also online.

The section referring to 'Rules of the Road', so to speak, is on Page 38

Titulo IV, Normas de Vialidad y Transito

http://www.transito.gob.pa/sites/default/files/reglamento_decreto_640.pdf

Thanks for the link Keith. I noticed  Article 43: Faros delanteros de luz blanca o amarilla en no más de dos (2) pares con alta y baja, ésta última de proyección asimétrica:

(Freetranslation.com: "Headlights of white light or yellow in no more than two (2) pairs with high and
low, the latter of asymmetric projection.")

Which seems to definitely imply that the crazy lights you see on the front of some cars are illegal. Of course the police don't seem to mind though.