The Box Shop in David - Package Forwarding Service

Marcelyn

Thank you, Bud! Very clear explanation. I will check them out. $2.50/lb is outstanding--even if the charge is for "size-adjusted" weight. As you said, all forwarders charge this, and when their per-pound rate is a lot more than $2.50, it can add up even more. Unfortunately, when we order something from the US, we have no control over the size of the box it will come in.

Roger ( or whoever else knows the answer),

My shipping company in Boquete has informed me that due to new customs regulations they will no longer handle the importation of air rifles and associated equipment (ammunition, scopes etc).  My lawyer tells me that there are no restrictions on those products.  Has there been a change in the law that I have missed or is my shipper just being overly cautious because of recent problems?  Just looking for clarification, if I decide to import an air rifle, will customs seize it under new "regulations"?

I don't know the answer to your question, John, but I note that shipping companies have not been handling the importation of knives for several years, so it's no surprise that they would not import air rifles, ammunition, and other such merchandise. They are losing money and making some customers unhappy because of this, so I tend to believe it's a Panama customs regulation of which your lawyer is unaware.

Edited by Bonnie

3 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

Roger ( or whoever else knows the answer),

My shipping company in Boquete has informed me that due to new customs regulations they will no longer handle the importation of air rifles and associated equipment (ammunition, scopes etc).  My lawyer tells me that there are no restrictions on those products.  Has there been a change in the law that I have missed or is my shipper just being overly cautious because of recent problems?  Just looking for clarification, if I decide to import an air rifle, will customs seize it under new "regulations"?

JohnF13

What I know is that this government has still the restriction on importing firearms and all stuff related to firearms like ammunitions, etc.  It means that if you import those products to Panama without any previous permit you will have to wait a lot of time and do a lot of paperwork to get your firearm and ammunitions released from customs.  It will cost you a lot of money and time going up and down to offices in Panama City to get the release of those items.   

It is interesting your post because a couple of weeks ago I found on Amazon an air rifle that I liked very much.   Because of the doubts I called Airbox Express, yes it is the company I use in Panama City without any problem, and they told me that there is not any restriction on AIR GUNS OR RIFLES.  It is not considered a firearm and are not under the same regulations and restrictions.  The fact is that some stores like Novey, Do it Center, etc sell them with all their ammunitions and devices without restriction and dont require any permit for owning or having them.  It is very important that before you ship the product to Panama you provide your shipping company with a commercial invoice stating model and type of product for them to work in advance for any information they should provide to Panama customs.  I know, also, that some states in the US have also some kind of regulation for shipping air guns inside de US.

It is probably that you shipping company in Boquete doesnt have the knowledge or the capability to handle this type of product.  I would suggest to look for another shipping company in David and ask them about this.  

Roger B.

1 hour ago, Roger B said:

JohnF13   

It is interesting your post because a couple of weeks ago I found on Amazon an air rifle that I liked very much.   Because of the doubts I called Airbox Express, yes it is the company I use in Panama City without any problem, and they told me that there is not any restriction on AIR GUNS OR RIFLES.  It is not considered a firearm and are not under the same regulations and restrictions.  The fact is that some stores like Novey, Do it Center, etc sell them with all their ammunitions and devices without restriction and dont require any permit for owning or having them.  It is very important that before you ship the product to Panama you provide your shipping company with a commercial invoice stating model and type of product for them to work in advance for any information they should provide to Panama customs.  I know, also, that some states in the US have also some kind of regulation for shipping air guns inside de US.

It is probably that you shipping company in Boquete doesnt have the knowledge or the capability to handle this type of product.  I would suggest to look for another shipping company in David and ask them about this.  

Roger B.

Thanks Roger.  I have imported an air rifle through my Boquete shipper before with absolutely no problems.  I "think" because this shipper has run into difficulties with Customs that they are, indeed being overly cautious.  But, it is their business decision, so be it.  I will look around for someone else who can do this if needed.

Thanks for the great report, Bud. I signed up with The Box Shop in David on Thursday. Dario was very professional. The office is conveniently located with ample parking available. I look forward to good service AND to saving a lot of money. I've had no problems with eShop, but I hardly ever have occasion to got to Boquete and by the time I pay the eShop rates PLUS paying Fletes to deliver my  package(s) to Volcan, it costs a pretty penny. (Fletes has really increased their costs.), I do have occasion to go to David every week or two, so picking up my packages won't be a problem. I order quite a few things from Amazon but seldom am I in any big hurry to receive a package. Therefore, stopping by The Box Shop  will work out just fine for me.

• Moderator_02 changed the title to The Box Shop in David - Package Forwarding Service
  • 2 months later...
On 9/6/2016 at 4:43 PM, Bud said:

We also learned that there are no monthly service charges. You pay only $2.50 per pound for your incoming shipments, plus a $0.25 service fee per item (we understood that fee as his 'cost recovery' for getting the shipments from PC to David).

Hello.  I have been using Box Shop since learning of it on CL.  Their service seems just as reliable as any I have used in Boquete.  They send me an email with the tracking number and the weight as well as the charge when a new package arrives.  Since we live outside of Potrerillos, it is closer for us to do our shopping in David than in Boquete. So, it is very convenient to stop by Box Shop for our packages.   I have had several packages forwarded to me there.  The rate I am charged is $3.00 per pound, not the $2.75 quoted by Bud. Still, that is considerably less than what I have been able to find in Boquete.  One thing to note, however, is that, a single letter mailed to Box Shop is also charged at the $3.00 rate.  I know there are some places in Boquete that charge only $1 for simple envelopes.  One question I still do not understand completely: Who decides to charge the volume rate instead of the actual weight?  Is that determined by customs, or the forwarding service?  Also, is there a finite size over which the volume rate is charged (Length plus width plus height)?  Or, is the rate determined by the "loosey, goosey" method (whenever the freight company feels like applying it) and not a finite measurement?

OK--corrections and explanations. I have used The Box Shop for a long time and their service is excellent. The cost is NOT $3.00 per lb. It is $2.50 per lb. plus 50 cents per PER PACKAGE  service charge. 

Understandably, is the "volume weight" vs the "actual weight" question.(Which I think in a bunch of crap, but every shipper uses it.)  For example, if a sender packs a package that weighs one-lb. or less, the shipper uses the measurements of the box -(many times the box includes those inflatable plastic air-filled  thingys that Amazon is famous for, non-environmentally safe)--) then you're charged the "volume weight".)

Agreed, that the "loosey groosy" method of applying the the "volume rate" is questionable when any shipper applies the volume  weight" when they charge for an an 11X 10 envelope.

I hope this clarifies somewhat. I am mostly very pleased with The Box Shop.

According to the Internet, the drive from Volcan to David takes about an hour and a half--or three hours round trip. I can't imagine having to devote this amount of time to getting my mail. Do you have to go to David regularly for any other reason, Dottie? Is there no courier service in Volcan?

2 hours ago, Bonnie said:

According to the Internet, the drive from Volcan to David takes about an hour and a half--or three hours round trip. I can't imagine having to devote this amount of time to getting my mail. Do you have to go to David regularly for any other reason, Dottie? Is there no courier service in Volcan?

My drive from Volcan to David (one way) takes about an hour. I need to go to David every couple of weeks anyway, mainly to buy several 40-lb. bags of Kirklands for my 18 dogs. When I go to David,  I always have a big list of other things to do as well. One of which could be picking up my packages from The Box Shop. So I have no problem or inconvenience in having shipments delivered to David. (I don't get any mail, only shipments of things I order online.)

If you're interested in using the Box Shop and seldom go to David, you could ask Dario whether he could send your items via Fletes to Boquete. Or you could ask a Boquete resident who goes to David more frequently to get your packages from The Box Shop. (Last week, in addition to getting my two packages, I brought $77 worth of shipments to a friend in Volcan.) 

When I used Karina in the past, she would send my packages to Volcan via Fletes COD. But with the higher cost of shipments with Karina, plus the cost to send the items to Volcan, the cost was prohibitive. (While I do need to go to David fairly frequently, I seldom have any need to go to Boquete, so the situation with The Box Shop works well for me--and saves me a LOT of money.)

3 hours ago, Keith Woolford said:

On Sunday in Volcan I noticed a sign for Mail Boxes Etc. right on the main street.

Yes, there is a new Mail Boxes, Etc. in Volcan. If I received any mail, I would use their services. But for packages, The Box Shop in David is much less costly. And as I stated in another post, I need to go to David frequently anyway.