• Announcements

    • Admin_01

      The Boquete Feria de Las Flores y del Café   01/12/2017

      The Boquete Feria de Las Flores y del Café begins Thursday, January 12th and runs until Sunday, January 22nd. For those who have not yet seen -- and experienced -- this magnificent fair, you are in for a treat, and some inconveniences. Most importantly, you must see all of the flowers and the tiendas at and around the Fair Grounds here in Boquete.  During these eleven days you also need to be extremely careful, especially while driving and in planning your activities. In recent years there have been well in excess of 100,000 visitors to Boquete. Last year that number was closer to 200,000, and some predictions for 2017's Fair are closer to 300,000 people coming to our area to see the Fair. Traffic congestion will be the norm. Getting seats in restaurants will be difficult at times. Parking spaces will essentially be nonexistent. Buying groceries may be difficult and time consuming. Busses will be parked on the side streets, making driving difficult. There will be lots (as in LOTS) of people walking, standing around the bridge and the Feria and the many tiendas (small shops and stands [kiosks]) while taking pictures, talking, viewing the scenery, etc. Please be extremely attentive while driving, and drive slowly. Some streets will be blocked and require passes to use them. Other streets will simply be blocked based on congestion. Please be careful of your personal items, such as purses and wallets. Having so many people in one area creates a prime target for pickpockets and other maliantes to do their thing. To repeat, most importantly, you must see all of the flowers and the tiendas at and around the Fair Grounds here in Boquete.  Three closing thoughts. First: enjoy. Second: be safe. Third: you might wish to post your pictures, comments, reviews, etc., here on CL (start a topic or reply to an existing topic in http://www.chiriqui.life/forum/118-boquete-feria-de-las-flores-y-del-café/).   To provide general feedback or ask for help regarding Chiriqui.Life, please leave a posting in Problems, Feedback and Suggestions or email support@chiriqui.life or private message to @Admin_01.
Marcelyn

Box Shop Shipments

33 posts in this topic

Thank you, Bud! Very clear explanation. I will check them out. $2.50/lb is outstanding--even if the charge is for "size-adjusted" weight. As you said, all forwarders charge this, and when their per-pound rate is a lot more than $2.50, it can add up even more. Unfortunately, when we order something from the US, we have no control over the size of the box it will come in.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Roger ( or whoever else knows the answer),

My shipping company in Boquete has informed me that due to new customs regulations they will no longer handle the importation of air rifles and associated equipment (ammunition, scopes etc).  My lawyer tells me that there are no restrictions on those products.  Has there been a change in the law that I have missed or is my shipper just being overly cautious because of recent problems?  Just looking for clarification, if I decide to import an air rifle, will customs seize it under new "regulations"?

0

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know the answer to your question, John, but I note that shipping companies have not been handling the importation of knives for several years, so it's no surprise that they would not import air rifles, ammunition, and other such merchandise. They are losing money and making some customers unhappy because of this, so I tend to believe it's a Panama customs regulation of which your lawyer is unaware.

Edited by Bonnie
0

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, JohnF13 said:

Roger ( or whoever else knows the answer),

My shipping company in Boquete has informed me that due to new customs regulations they will no longer handle the importation of air rifles and associated equipment (ammunition, scopes etc).  My lawyer tells me that there are no restrictions on those products.  Has there been a change in the law that I have missed or is my shipper just being overly cautious because of recent problems?  Just looking for clarification, if I decide to import an air rifle, will customs seize it under new "regulations"?

JohnF13

What I know is that this government has still the restriction on importing firearms and all stuff related to firearms like ammunitions, etc.  It means that if you import those products to Panama without any previous permit you will have to wait a lot of time and do a lot of paperwork to get your firearm and ammunitions released from customs.  It will cost you a lot of money and time going up and down to offices in Panama City to get the release of those items.   

It is interesting your post because a couple of weeks ago I found on Amazon an air rifle that I liked very much.   Because of the doubts I called Airbox Express, yes it is the company I use in Panama City without any problem, and they told me that there is not any restriction on AIR GUNS OR RIFLES.  It is not considered a firearm and are not under the same regulations and restrictions.  The fact is that some stores like Novey, Do it Center, etc sell them with all their ammunitions and devices without restriction and dont require any permit for owning or having them.  It is very important that before you ship the product to Panama you provide your shipping company with a commercial invoice stating model and type of product for them to work in advance for any information they should provide to Panama customs.  I know, also, that some states in the US have also some kind of regulation for shipping air guns inside de US.

It is probably that you shipping company in Boquete doesnt have the knowledge or the capability to handle this type of product.  I would suggest to look for another shipping company in David and ask them about this.  

 

Roger B.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Roger B said:

JohnF13   

It is interesting your post because a couple of weeks ago I found on Amazon an air rifle that I liked very much.   Because of the doubts I called Airbox Express, yes it is the company I use in Panama City without any problem, and they told me that there is not any restriction on AIR GUNS OR RIFLES.  It is not considered a firearm and are not under the same regulations and restrictions.  The fact is that some stores like Novey, Do it Center, etc sell them with all their ammunitions and devices without restriction and dont require any permit for owning or having them.  It is very important that before you ship the product to Panama you provide your shipping company with a commercial invoice stating model and type of product for them to work in advance for any information they should provide to Panama customs.  I know, also, that some states in the US have also some kind of regulation for shipping air guns inside de US.

It is probably that you shipping company in Boquete doesnt have the knowledge or the capability to handle this type of product.  I would suggest to look for another shipping company in David and ask them about this.  

 

Roger B.

 

 

Thanks Roger.  I have imported an air rifle through my Boquete shipper before with absolutely no problems.  I "think" because this shipper has run into difficulties with Customs that they are, indeed being overly cautious.  But, it is their business decision, so be it.  I will look around for someone else who can do this if needed.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Sure hope they don't hold up the Bazooka I ordered last week.

BazooK-9 Tennis Ball Launcher Gun - Rated Best Dog Toy - Includes 2 Squeaky Balls for a Bazooka Semi Automatic Blast

Edited by Keith Woolford
0

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the great report, Bud. I signed up with The Box Shop in David on Thursday. Dario was very professional. The office is conveniently located with ample parking available. I look forward to good service AND to saving a lot of money. I've had no problems with eShop, but I hardly ever have occasion to got to Boquete and by the time I pay the eShop rates PLUS paying Fletes to deliver my  package(s) to Volcan, it costs a pretty penny. (Fletes has really increased their costs.), I do have occasion to go to David every week or two, so picking up my packages won't be a problem. I order quite a few things from Amazon but seldom am I in any big hurry to receive a package. Therefore, stopping by The Box Shop  will work out just fine for me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/7/2016 at 3:06 PM, Keith Woolford said:

Sure hope they don't hold up the Bazooka I ordered last week.

BazooK-9 Tennis Ball Launcher Gun - Rated Best Dog Toy - Includes 2 Squeaky Balls for a Bazooka Semi Automatic Blast

 

Keith

 

Unless you plan to use it to break the Ngobe protest in the Panamerican Highway I think you wont have any problem .  he he he he

 

0

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now